Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

moejoe3117

Mask foam

I have a couple of pieces that are coming loose. Probably after I washed the padding to make them soft, and then sweated into them again. I sweat a lot when I'm playing goal.

Would double-sided tape work, or should I use something like Liquid Nails For Small Projects?

I have a couple of pieces that are coming loose. Probably after I washed the padding to make them soft, and then sweated into them again. I sweat a lot when I'm playing goal.

Would double-sided tape work, or should I use something like Liquid Nails For Small Projects?

Two things. First, if the foam is starting to come off it's probably about time to replace it. If nothing else, it's a good opportunity to do so.

That said, the best adhesive for mask foam as far as i know is DAP Contact Cement. This one:

DAP-Contact-Cement-3oz-f782cb41-8224-409

OK, I'm going to get some DAP tomorrow!

I will probably chip off the old cement too.

Goo gone works amazingly well.

New image goalie masks sells padding kits for most mask manufacturers too btw, or just go Maltese ;)

Goo gone works amazingly well.

New image goalie masks sells padding kits for most mask manufacturers too btw, or just go Maltese ;)

OK, I think if the DAP doesn't hold long-term I will do the New Image or Maltese padding kit between winter and summer seasons: too many games right now. Thanks again!

I recently pulled out 10 year old foam from a SportMask that I was kind of refurbishing. Like Opti said, Goo Gone is amazing when it comes to removing the residual gunk. I bought my new foam from SportMask and it was great because it was water-lasered pre-cut, with peel&stick on the back.

I recently pulled out 10 year old foam from a SportMask that I was kind of refurbishing. Like Opti said, Goo Gone is amazing when it comes to removing the residual gunk. I bought my new foam from SportMask and it was great because it was water-lasered pre-cut, with peel&stick on the back.

It looks like one of my mask's previous owners had already cleaned off all the residual contact cement, then used construction adhesive (poly-urethane, low expansion). The construction adhesive chipped off easily, and I just re-washed and dried the padding, so I'm about to put it back on with the new contact cement.

I will keep the goo-gone in case the new contact cement doesn't keep the old padding on.

Well, now I know what doesn't work:

• The hot-melt glue that one of the mask's previous owners put in; and
  • The polyurethane glue that one of the mask's previous owners put in.

The Goo-Gone has a nice orange scent.

I ended up using LePage low odour contact cement. So far so good. It is nice not having to raise my eyebrows / furrow my forehead to get the padding out of the way, or looking for the chin padding on the ice. I just need to test this out with harder games that make me sweat more: maybe a good scrimmage.

It looks like the left chinstrap cutout on the mask was cut / routed out at the wrong angle; it doesn't match the one on the right, so the padding cutout also doesn't match. Does this happen often?