Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wingsnut13

Stick Curves

Im new to the game of hockey, and I just have a question about what difference a stick curve makes. I currently play defense in a mens league and I use a nexus 6000 with the ovechikin curve. Im just wondering what different curves offer in terms of how the puck comes off the stick. Thanks guys

Curve will attribute to how high or low a shot will have a tendency to go. It will also have an affect on puck handling and passing. Likewise, some curves affect back handing ability. Keep in mind, while curves play a role in a shot, sound mechanics are number one.

If I were you and you had some cash to blow, I would pick up a cheap shaft and buy 5-6 different blades of various patterns and lies to plug in. Try them each out during a game and see what you like best. I bet you'll end up with a heel or mid curve, as those lend themselves nicely to beginners.

Im new to the game of hockey, and I just have a question about what difference a stick curve makes. I currently play defense in a mens league and I use a nexus 6000 with the ovechikin curve. Im just wondering what different curves offer in terms of how the puck comes off the stick. Thanks guys

I would say the curve you're using is probably the most popular in retail, along with the P88 Kane and its equivalents on other brands.

I usually recommend mid curves like the aforementioned P88 Kane (W88 in Warrior, E36 in Easton, P40 in CCM etc.) to beginners as it's a literal middle ground upon which to build preferences. There's a deep enough pocket for puck control, slight loft to assist in lifting the puck, and the lie is also middling. Hence, after time, if you find one or all of these attributes of the curve lacking, you could then branch out. For example, if you would like more assistance in raising pucks, moving to the P92 Ovechkin would be a branching path.

Solid advice from AIREAYE.

I recently started playing hockey again after a long time off. Getting back into it, i started with a P88. I tried a couple of curves after a year of using this, and ended up with a P14. The journey to get to this point took me through a sakic clone (P92/E3 etc).I didnt like the length of the curve (found it too long a blade) but the curve itself was good).. I tried an E28 and P28, made me realize i like a toe biased curve, but found they were far too open. Thus this led me to the P14, which is similar to the P88 but with the a shaved and twisted toe to make it slightly more open (but not as open as an P28).

I could only figure out what i wanted from a curve because the P88 is such a neutral inoffensive curve. So as AIREAYE recommends, the P88 or equivalents are a good starting point.

Since this topic is about curves I figured I'd post this here. To me lie is the absolute most important thing when picking a curve and a use a Bauer PM9. That being said does anyone know what curves from warrior, ccm, and Bauer that match up to or are extremely similar? All the ccm charts don't seem to list lie and all the manufacturers go by different scales. Btw let's not discuss the p88 (been there...) also I just want to experiment with some curves I don't have any problems with my pm9 just wanting to try something for the heck of it.

On 2/27/2016 at 10:16 PM, AmeriCanadian said:

Since this topic is about curves I figured I'd post this here. To me lie is the absolute most important thing when picking a curve and a use a Bauer PM9. That being said does anyone know what curves from warrior, ccm, and Bauer that match up to or are extremely similar? All the ccm charts don't seem to list lie and all the manufacturers go by different scales. Btw let's not discuss the p88 (been there...) also I just want to experiment with some curves I don't have any problems with my pm9 just wanting to try something for the heck of it.

This may help: http://modsquadhockey.com/patterndb/