Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GQRDY

Ccm tacks or ccm ribcor

Looking for some advice, going to get new skates in May current ones ( Reebok Ribcor) are breaking down time for a new pair. anyway I've always had Reebok or CCM since the rebrand but I'm torn between the Tacks 2016 model  and the Ribcor white 2016 model. I play D but break out of the zone and rush up the ice quite a lot which I think the tacks would help with and getting to loose pucks quicker. But  then I think the Ribcor would help with being more agile in my zone and the offensive zone and with tight turns. Any thoughts? anyone had both?

I wouldn't focus so much on the position you play as I would the fit. If you're used to a Ribcor skate, I'd probably stick with that. That has a wide toe box and gets more narrow as you get to the heel. The Tacks skate is wide overall. It's much bigger than what you're wearing currently. Regardless, try on several skates before purchasing if possible. You may find something that you like better that's not CCM. I know a lot of the guys on this site love the Makos. Worth giving those a go possibly.

yeah that's true thanks, I was planning on trying both on regardless. but sometimes after playing and I take my skates off the sides of my feet are killing me, have to sit there for a couple minuets until I goes away, not sure if that has anything to do with the width. as for the Makos my brother has them and seems to like them a lot.

Don't focus on that marketing stuff. While the skates may be more designed for that style of skating, a skate is a skate and no matter what style of skating it was designed for, if it doesn't fit your foot then it's not going to work. You said you're coming from the reebok ribcor if you like those then try the ccm ribcors on if you can. You mentioned easton makos as well so if you're willing to look at different brands I would suggest (again if you can) going to your lhs and having them pull every skate in your size and just see which fits best.

yeah I've always had the reeboks with the pumps always seemed to fit me well ( minus the sometimes I get pain on the side of my foot after) and they are bringing them in white :) haha I did sort of consider a pair of VH custom skates, but I'm not sure about them seems like kind of taking a big risk to me. kind of difficult here there's not to many LHS, and the ones that do don't have to much in stock since there not that big, but I was going to ask if they could get the tacks and Ribcor in my size to try them both on.

I'm going to be honest. If you know that getting skates can be difficult in your location, I'd stick with what you know works. Get a new pair of Ribcor and be happy. You can always profile them to take advantage of your playing style. That's going to make the biggest difference versus buying into a marketing technique and changing boots.

its not getting the skates that are hard, quite a big shop like 8 hours away that has a decent online shop and has mostly everything, its just trying them on before I buy them that's difficult, not sure if that's what you mean. but yeah I agree the Ribcors would be playing it safe. that's what I thought about the VH customs, they would give me the best fit and everything but I cant try them on before and get shipped all the way from Canada to the UK, plus have to bake them but the conversion rate plus import and shipping makes it pretty much the same price but just feels awfully risky.

also I've never had my skates profiled, I just normally skate with the steel that's standard out of the box, wouldn't know where to begin there.

5 hours ago, GQRDY said:also I've never had my skates profiled, I just normally skate with the steel that's standard out of the box, wouldn't know where to begin there. Yeah. Profiling definitely takes some education and working with your LHS to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of a certain profile. If you're trying to take advantage of certain parts of your skating technique, a good profile could help, but that's going to require time and experimenting as well. Personally, I leave my skates as is, but there are plenty of people on MSH that alter their profile/radius.

Yeah I think it would help, but I'm not sure what I'm doing with it, never had and problems just leaving the skates as normal but il ask my LHS when I get the skates see if they can explain it. now I'm leaning more towards the Ribcor.

I got the Ribcor 48k. I like them a lot. A much harder  boot, and the Pump works better I think then my Reebok 26k. Usually I'll just give them a couple pumps at first then  halfway through the game I'll give them like 30 extra pumps to give me a boost. Lol I also liked the black steel on those. I think what u get with the 48k is such a good price that it don't justify the price of going up to the 50k.

I have the Tacks skates and i would recommend them to anyone whose feet they fit well. Go with whichever skate fits your foot the best. For the the Ribcor's were way too narrow i didn't even bother to lace them up when i tried them on. Try them both on and see which ones you like the best. 

Thanks, going to wait until the new tacks are released and ask the LHS to order in Tacks, Ribcor and Jet Speeds in my size see what fits best.