Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rphockey53

MX3 tongues question

So I picked up a pair of Bauer Mx3 skates on a sweet deal.. I've always skated CCM my whole life. My question is:

What is the deal with these mid/stiff/extra stiff inserts? The guy at the store just put the mids in and said "most use these".. I didn't think go ask what they're for and stuff.. So figured I would see if anyone could help me out.. What is the difference? What do they do? Are they just for lace bite? 

I'm pretty confused.. These skates are sweet but this seems gimicky to me

30 minutes ago, Rphockey53 said:

So I picked up a pair of Bauer Mx3 skates on a sweet deal.. I've always skated CCM my whole life. My question is:

What is the deal with these mid/stiff/extra stiff inserts? The guy at the store just put the mids in and said "most use these".. I didn't think go ask what they're for and stuff.. So figured I would see if anyone could help me out.. What is the difference? What do they do? Are they just for lace bite? 

I'm pretty confused.. These skates are sweet but this seems gimicky to me

This from Bauer:

Composite inserts let players customize the flex and performance of the tongue
As you flex forward the skate responds and lets you spring back
Curv® Composite inserts act like a springboard
Offered in three different flexes: Mid, Stiff or X-Stiff

55 minutes ago, fcalog said:

This from Bauer:

Composite inserts let players customize the flex and performance of the tongue
As you flex forward the skate responds and lets you spring back
Curv® Composite inserts act like a springboard
Offered in three different flexes: Mid, Stiff or X-Stiff

Ahhhhh got it.. Thanks buddy... Sounds like it's just personal preference 

Fcalog's comments are accurate. The different inserts provide different "spring" based upon which one is inserted within the tongue. They also tend to get thicker as you get stiffer, which could provide more lacebite protection. For me, I use the Mid. As the Mid breaks down, I could see myself throwing in the Stiff. The Mid feels just as good now as it did when I started using these skates in December. I haven't felt a sense of breakdown thus far. I love the system.

2 hours ago, laserrobottime said:

I'm skating on the Stiff insert right now, and I'm already noticing creasing of the insert on my left foot -- about 10 sessions on the skates.

It will happen. There's no avoiding that. My inserts have slight creases in them as well. Think of a brand new sneaker. The more you wear it, the more it creases. The creases become more noticeable and the shoe becomes less stiff. Regardless of this, the insert will still perform. Over time it may get softer, but that happens to a standard tongue as well. At that point, you could throw in one of your remaining two inserts or purchase a Stiff insert through Bauer directly.