Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

z1ggy

Need a new helmet

My current Bauer is cracked and the ear protector piece fell out. Screws came loose... Etc. I play mens league non checking, but I'd still like something quality that will last as my Bauer only lasted about 2-3 years before breaking.

I don't need a cage, and I'd like to spend less than $120. Lots of options out there, what are some of the best at this price point? 

Whichever one best fits your head. They're realistically all about equal as far as protection. 

That said, I've heard a TON of good things about the CCM Resistance line. So I'd at least make sure to try one of those on :)

How do they compare to the FL line?

Also, HM has the E700's onsale for an insanely low price. If I could stomach going back to white, I can get a crazy deal. I really prefer black, but meh, you don't see the thing while you wear it anyway..

I can't make a comparison as I don't wear one. I'm in the original Re-Akt. I've just seen a lot of praise for them lately.

But really, just try everything on. Reviews aren't really especially helpful for something that is all about fit. Like I said, realistically anything on the shelf today is going to be protective so it's all about how well it fits. 

Hmmmm, alright. I'll see if my local shop has any, if not a HM is like 30 mins away. 

E700 got kind of crappy reviews though, so I'm skeptical. 

OK, so I've been wearing an Easton E700 w/a Re-Akt cage for the last 3 yrs. E700 is by far the lightest helmet money can buy. IMO E700 is super comfortable, doesn't run hot, and it's weight is unmatched. I no longer play beer-league, I only coach and do stick time private... I do believe the E700 is plenty of helmet for your average beer league, with some contact but non check. The helmet is kinda underrated, mainly because it's like a glorified bicycle helmet made into the shape of a hockey helmet, and it seems to be always on sale. But if you can get it for an insane price, I'd pull the trigger. I have no regret buying one.

My 12 yo kid plays Peewee AA and he wears the original Re-Akt (he's on his second one, just because he gave his lil bro his 1st one) with a Re-Akt cage... I'm a gear whore so every time I go to a store, I try on crap. Although my kid doesn't need a new helmet, I always ask him to try other helmets on for shits and gigs. So far, he has hated every single other hi-end helmet and wouldn't even care if it's advertised as the latest and greatest, he only wants the Re-Akt.

Since my kid and I share both wear medium, I've tried on the Re-Akt many times. To be honest, it is a more comfortable helmet than my E700. A bit heavier (but lighter than all the other newer, more expensive Bauer models), but more protection it seems and probably the most comfortable helmet I've ever tried on. My two nephews are U18 AA and they both wear the original Re-Akt...

11 hours ago, z1ggy said:

How do they compare to the FL line?

Also, HM has the E700's onsale for an insanely low price. If I could stomach going back to white, I can get a crazy deal. I really prefer black, but meh, you don't see the thing while you wear it anyway..

Resistance and FL are totally different fits. The FL helmet fits me like a glove, and the Resistance helmet does not fit me at all, its tighter and puts a lot of pressure, considering both as size L

Thanks all. 

Ended up going with the 11K as it was 50% off in store. They did not have any E700's or 600's at all, and I can't buy something like a lid with out trying it on. The 11k felt pretty light, and fit my head shape well. My last helmet previous to my Bauer lasted like 8 years, so I have high hopes for this one. 

3 hours ago, z1ggy said:

Thanks all. 

Ended up going with the 11K as it was 50% off in store. They did not have any E700's or 600's at all, and I can't buy something like a lid with out trying it on. The 11k felt pretty light, and fit my head shape well. My last helmet previous to my Bauer lasted like 8 years, so I have high hopes for this one. 

MY 11k is still going good and ive had it a good while. the foam pads slide a little due to steady breakdown of the adhesive, but they hold ok during play.

Just got one of the new Bauer Reakt 75 helmets last month.  Helmet comes in at $120... combo around 150 I believe.  I tried on a bunch and loved the way it fits.  A lot of helmets give me issues on the side of the head... which is right where the 75 has some supple poron foam.  Just a very comfy helmet for my head shape.  Also it just nabbed the top spot on the VTech helmet ratings if that means much to you... though fit is always paramount.

That happened with my helmet before this Bauer (which I think was also a Bauer). Eventually most of the padding up front came loose due to glue melting. This helmet held up fine in that department, its just the hardware was junk. 

Taking the 11k for a spin tomorrow in my next game.