Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpedersen3118

Hockey Careers?

I'm sure you have been there, questioning what it is you are doing with your life, wondering why you don't do what makes you happy. It could be many reasons you don't venture out from your everyday - financially stable job, flexibility in your hours, benefits, seniority, etc.

Over the last several months I've decided I want to go after what it is I enjoy doing, and that is working in hockey. Now before you tell me to go coach or volunteer let me say that I have thought about that and while it may be an option, I really want to work full-time in the sport. I'm a gear junky, I love it! I think my dream job would be working for a manufacturer in Sales but I have NO idea where to start.  The last 10 years of my life has been spent selling point-of-purchase displays and focusing on shopper marketing and insights; it's been fun, but I want to work in something that I'm genuinely passionate about, and that is hockey.

Thanks for any advice, criticism, or encouragement.

Have you tried watching the manufacturers' careers sections on their sites? other than knowing someone in the business I'd say thats the best place to start.

3 hours ago, adam14 said:

As is attending expos/meeting with local reps when they visit the LHS

Most reps are not interested unless their business is growing and in which case if it is they are trying to bank money as there is no safety net.

I got shown the door because,  someone needed more money to finance their divorce.  Very greedy and shady indeed.

You really need a lot of money to get going and some good lines because,  all expenses incurred are your responsibility.  There is no company card-  Unless it's yours.

I wouldn't want to discourage someone from chasing their dream-  But it's UGLY out there right now.

3 hours ago, Zac911 said:

Most reps are not interested unless their business is growing and in which case if it is they are trying to bank money as there is no safety net.

I got shown the door because,  someone needed more money to finance their divorce.  Very greedy and shady indeed.

You really need a lot of money to get going and some good lines because,  all expenses incurred are your responsibility.  There is no company card-  Unless it's yours.

I wouldn't want to discourage someone from chasing their dream-  But it's UGLY out there right now.

Thanks for the input. I certainly do not (nor would anyone else I'd imagine) want to go into something with the chips staked against me from the jump. I've been there before and it is painful.

20 hours ago, Zac911 said:

When I got the opportunity to meet with a bunch of reps through my work, one specific one was very keen to talk to me about the industry and how to crack into it and told me that once I'm finished my post grad if it's still of interest to touch base with him again for guidance. I've had nothing but great experiences and leads talking to reps and picking their brains. Not so much from a "I want your job" perspective but more so with the approach of how did you get involved in the industry do you have any advice. 

3 hours ago, adam14 said:

When I got the opportunity to meet with a bunch of reps through my work, one specific one was very keen to talk to me about the industry and how to crack into it and told me that once I'm finished my post grad if it's still of interest to touch base with him again for guidance. I've had nothing but great experiences and leads talking to reps and picking their brains. Not so much from a "I want your job" perspective but more so with the approach of how did you get involved in the industry do you have any advice. 

That's good.  You should always surround yourself with people that want and will ALLOW you to succeed.  

At my last gig no matter how hard I worked I had someone undermining me because,  of his relationship with management and their relentless greed.  This person was always trying to find ways to take for himself rather than go out and build something on their own.  I can only imagine it was what living under constant British Taxation was like.  ;)