Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpedersen3118

Too much curve?

I've been using my True A5.2 SBP TC2-5 (P92) since April and love the twig; it's my go to.

Over the last several weeks though I've been noticing my shots are sailing higher, even when I'm trying to keep them low. This is great for top cheddar wristers and all, but I feel like a di*k as I've inadvertently hit our goalie in the face twice in the last 2 weeks. Any suggestions as to how to keep the puck lower with the P92 type curve? Shoot more from the heel? Close the blade more?  I feel like I have a hockey version on the shanks! My history with curves has been the PP77 - Coffey, Easton P9 and P88 / X88 from STX.

This typically happens from opening up the face of the blade too much. If you can focus more on your follow through and ensuring your hands don't open up when shooting, you'll have better results.

I'd say go back to basics and focus on practising proper technique. A lot of times bad habits can sneak into things like your shot, so you'll have to reset and recalibrate. I'd be cautious about trying quick fixes before going back to basics first. IMHO it can introduce more bad habits. 

When ever I feel like I'm having issues with my shot, I always go back to basics, and I find things begin to fix themselves. I'll quickly notice what I've been doing different and can address it right away by just doing it the right way again. 

Close your face and lean more on shot / use appropriate flex for you. 

All of my sticks are a P92 clone, and if I use a flex that is stiffer than what I am used to, its harder to keep my shot low, unless I really flex that stick. 

36 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

Close your face and lean more on shot / use appropriate flex for you. 

All of my sticks are a P92 clone, and if I use a flex that is stiffer than what I am used to, its harder to keep my shot low, unless I really flex that stick. 

I'm thinking it's more of an issue with keeping the face closed than flex as I have no issues flexing the stick. Was messing around in my basement this evening and noticed I'm opening up on my follow though. Need to focus more on keeping that face closed

14 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

I'm thinking it's more of an issue with keeping the face closed than flex as I have no issues flexing the stick. Was messing around in my basement this evening and noticed I'm opening up on my follow though. Need to focus more on keeping that face closed

Problem solved then! It pleases me when a topic ends with a nice, pretty bow on it.

20 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

I've been using my True A5.2 SBP TC2-5 (P92) since April and love the twig; it's my go to.

Over the last several weeks though I've been noticing my shots are sailing higher, even when I'm trying to keep them low. This is great for top cheddar wristers and all, but I feel like a di*k as I've inadvertently hit our goalie in the face twice in the last 2 weeks. Any suggestions as to how to keep the puck lower with the P92 type curve? Shoot more from the heel? Close the blade more?  I feel like I have a hockey version on the shanks! My history with curves has been the PP77 - Coffey, Easton P9 and P88 / X88 from STX.

Make sure to keep your top hand out in front of you when loading up, helps keep the face closed