Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

davekind

Ankle protective shin guards

What shins have the best protection as far as covering the high ankle?  I know most shins have a little gap between the high ankle and calf. Tried the CCM ultra tacks whic were great, but they're a little too heavy/bulky for my liking. 

20 minutes ago, davekind said:

What shins have the best protection as far as covering the high ankle?  I know most shins have a little gap between the high ankle and calf. Tried the CCM ultra tacks whic were great, but they're a little too heavy/bulky for my liking. 

That seems more reliant on the shin guard length as opposed to the brand. Personally, I have Nexus 1000 shin guards in a size 15. There are minimal breaks, in protection, if at all any, from the shin guard to the boot. Tongues are tucked under the shin guard as well. This type of shin guard isn't going to be desired by all given the size and fit, but the shin guard length can be had with any brand.

As the DIY fanboy, you can see on the Real Dana Heinze twitter feed (Link) that loads of players actually have additional padding added to their shins to protect the outer ankle (Example, also includes a shotblocker for the laces). You could always go that route as-well.

However I do agree that tucking your tongues is beneficial, as you'd usually by them a size shorter when flopping which leaves more ankle space exposed.

Reebok 20K Pros have a similar wrap as the Ultra Tacks, and are a bit lighter. Aside from this line, the next best wrap will be in Nexus or Easton Pros, but neither is as comprehensive as the 20K/ Tacks line.

Have a look overhead in the dressing room of any NHL locker room, during player interviews. Aside from Max Domi (RBZ) and Tyler Myers (Nexus with mods to  address this area), everyone is in Jofa/RBK Pros (predecessor to the Reebok K line). I suspect it is due to the extra wrap where shins meet skates, as I am always catching pucks here. I used to use Supreme and after I caught a puck on the bone where the pads did not cover, I switched instantly and started noticing the pads in the NHL rooms. 

Warrior QX Pros look pretty good as far as coverage in this area too; yet to see in person though.

That was exactly my scenario. I took a slap shot in the gap right between the top of the boot and where the shin guards start. I had Bauer supreme 190's and there's a huge gap there. Love how light the shins are but the protection is lacking there.