Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nhockey

New Leg Pads

So my son's first year in goal went well. The Squirt level (8, 9, 10 year olds) here rotates goalies if there is more than one goalie. His team had my son, and another goalie. I think both he and I learned so much about the equipment and position. 

He liked the position a lot and wants to stay in goal full time next season. He will be moving up to the PeeWee level, which means he'll have to compete for the job.

I am going thru his gear for next year to replace what is too small or worn out and trying to capitalize on summer clearance deals for a growing kid. So far he has a new chest, dangler, and 2-cup jock. His glove, blocker, and mask are good. I'm not sure on his stick at the moment - it may be too short for him. We'll find out during summer clinics, I guess. So right now I am trying to find leg pads.

I have learned I know nothing about leg pads. Last year he played in a near worn out pair of Missions. Using the Speedy Stitcher we were able to keep the pads serviceable but it is time for new. Price is a concern because he still needs skates and a stick.

Looking for suggestions and feedback. Looking to be in the range of $350-ish for pads (sizing guidance appreciated as well, but I believe he will be in 32+1's as he is a little over 5' tall and growing).

The three pads that have caught my attention now are Reebok X28, CCM Extreme Flex II 860, and Bauer Reactor 7000. This is based on price and availability only. Appreciate any help with sorting this out.

21 minutes ago, 2nhockey said:

So my son's first year in goal went well. The Squirt level (8, 9, 10 year olds) here rotates goalies if there is more than one goalie. His team had my son, and another goalie. I think both he and I learned so much about the equipment and position. 

He liked the position a lot and wants to stay in goal full time next season. He will be moving up to the PeeWee level, which means he'll have to compete for the job.

I am going thru his gear for next year to replace what is too small or worn out and trying to capitalize on summer clearance deals for a growing kid. So far he has a new chest, dangler, and 2-cup jock. His glove, blocker, and mask are good. I'm not sure on his stick at the moment - it may be too short for him. We'll find out during summer clinics, I guess. So right now I am trying to find leg pads.

I have learned I know nothing about leg pads. Last year he played in a near worn out pair of Missions. Using the Speedy Stitcher we were able to keep the pads serviceable but it is time for new. Price is a concern because he still needs skates and a stick.

Looking for suggestions and feedback. Looking to be in the range of $350-ish for pads (sizing guidance appreciated as well, but I believe he will be in 32+1's as he is a little over 5' tall and growing).

The three pads that have caught my attention now are Reebok X28, CCM Extreme Flex II 860, and Bauer Reactor 7000. This is based on price and availability only. Appreciate any help with sorting this out.

I'm 5'6 / 5'7 and I don't know about him being a 32+1, that's what I would use. 

However, I haven't played much goalie.

2 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I'm 5'6 / 5'7 and I don't know about him being a 32+1, that's what I would use. 

However, I haven't played much goalie.

It depends on the length of your shin, so everyone needs to get measured correctly because height doesn't always mean all that much.

2 hours ago, 2nhockey said:

Reebok doesn't make goalie equipment anymore so I assume you're looking at the X28 because it's on clearance? I'm sure he'd be plenty happy with them, especially since he's still growing and won't be wearing them long anyway. 

I wasn't a fan of the Reactor pad line at all. They just felt... cheap. Not well made. I'm not sure exactly what it was I didn't like but I tried them on and hated everything about them.

CCM EFII is probably what I'd go with out of the three options. Though I'd likely pass on all of them and go for the Brian's Netzero series instead ($449 new for intermediate sizes). You won't find better quality for the price, but again with him still growing they may not make the most sense.

Honestly, for leg pads I'd probably look for something used. Hit GGSU on facebook and see whats available once you have your son sized correctly. Theres always a ton of pads on there in like-new condition that are inexpensive. Especially at that age where people get a season out of them and then unload them. $350 should get him some pretty damn nice pads if you're buying used. 

Ok, joined that group and will keep an eye open.

The Brian's pads you recommend are not going to happen. Expensive position in an expensive sport, but I need to draw the line somewhere. I'm willing to go above $350, but not much, and the Brian's are too much for a rapidly growing 10 year old. 

Yes, the only reason I looked at the Reebok was price. I know they've been out of production for awhile (how long, anyway?) But I also know they are relatively inexpensive. 

Tips and suggestions on sizing him correctly? Around 6 hours each way to nearest hockey shop...

Thanks for the help! 

Measure outer ankle bone to middle of kneecap and then check sizing guides for your chosen brand online (they do differ slightly).

RBK hasn't been out that long. A year or so depending on what their product cycles are like. If they're quite a bit cheaper than the CCM then I'd say that's a great option.

i hear you on the Brian's. perhaps when he's done growing or at least can get 2-3 seasons out of a set. 

On 5/25/2017 at 10:03 PM, 2nhockey said:

Ok, joined that group and will keep an eye open.

The Brian's pads you recommend are not going to happen. Expensive position in an expensive sport, but I need to draw the line somewhere. I'm willing to go above $350, but not much, and the Brian's are too much for a rapidly growing 10 year old. 

Yes, the only reason I looked at the Reebok was price. I know they've been out of production for awhile (how long, anyway?) But I also know they are relatively inexpensive. 

Tips and suggestions on sizing him correctly? Around 6 hours each way to nearest hockey shop...

Thanks for the help! 

You can find some good closeout pricing at places like Goalie Monkey right now.  I have the X-28's and they are a really nice set of pads.  I think I paid just under $400 when I bought them on sale.  The thing to make sure you keep an eye on when looking at the pads on GM is whether they can have a discount code applied to them (this is noted under the pricing info).  That can make the price even better.  As for brands...I have had good luck with Reebok, not so much with Bauer (I had Reactor 4000's and they were not very well made IMHO).

Thanks! 

I see GM has Koho 587's on clearance. Curious about any feedback on these pads. They are priced close to the CCM 860's. Is there a clear winner here?

GGSU has a lot of pads listed but they are almost always 34" or bigger and the rare occasion where a 32" pad is listed it is gone in a flash or I'm priced out. I can wait another week or so but first goalie camps are about 2-3 weeks out. Also, the boy's foot has grown 1.5 sizes since February so I'll be needing new skates soon, too. Any input on Graf 5500 goalie skates I found (lightly used)?

Thanks for the help!

Kohos are made by CCM, so what you have are basically a Red Delicious to a Fuji Apple to apple comparison. I don't know there is a great amount of difference. The Koho are supposed to be soft, and the model of CCM you're considering are softer (I think). Get the best deal, I say.

Oh, I didn't know any of that. Thanks!

So this raises another question, though. You say the Kohos are soft and CCM's are softer are you talking about how the pads handle shots/rebounds? If so, wouldn't a beginner tendy be better served by pads that would send the puck far, far away? Are the Reebok X-28's hard or soft.

Thanks for the patience!

2 hours ago, 2nhockey said:

So this raises another question, though. You say the Kohos are soft and CCM's are softer are you talking about how the pads handle shots/rebounds? If so, wouldn't a beginner tendy be better served by pads that would send the puck far, far away? Are the Reebok X-28's hard or soft.

Thanks for the patience!

X-28's are a butterfly pad and are pretty hard...they produce long rebounds (I find they generally got out to at least the high slot area, top of the face off circles.   As for Graf skates, I have a pair of Graf 9035's and I like them a lot.  Between the X-28's, CCM flex 2's and the Koho's you have some good choices.  I would go onto to Golie Monkey's web site and ask them questions in the live feedback window.  They are really good at answering questions honestly.

On 5/30/2017 at 1:03 PM, 2nhockey said:

Thanks for the patience!

I am uncertain of rebounds, just that these are less butterfly and more hybrid. I don't know that the CCM are softer than the Koho, the 860 are reputedly a softer pad than, say the Reebok, which are a stiff butterfly pad. The Koho, from all accounts by those who use them, are a softer pad. Rebounds could be dead, as I don't have experience, just trying them on. They may send the puck to the next blue line for all I know. I had my custom PAW pads stuffed to the point where rebounds fly wildly away; yet I can direct them, as well. 

I second @AronB 's comments about talking to Monkey's live chat. They are pretty knowledgeable. They may help guide you the right way.

Of those 3 choices, I'd say that the Eflex2's are by far the best option.  

Since your kid is a new-ish goalie, I would say that a softer pad will be better.  It will allow some more flexibility and forgiveness if his technique isn't great.  A firmer pad will give longer rebounds, but I feel that the rigidity can cause some issues if he is reacting or scrambling.  And though they are "soft", they are still a solid foam core, so the rebounds aren't going to die at his feet like they would have in older soft, stuffed Vaughns (for example).  Soft pads with solid foam cores still give hard rebounds.  I would go with the single break option to give him a little more rigidity and stability.  

I also agree with Chris-

Try GGSU, There are a few sets of pads on there right now.  Search for "int" in the for sale ads.

Netzeros would be your best option in terms of quality and function for the price.  I'd see if i could find a way to get a set of them.

Thanks, fellas. Next question is what is the difference between 32" int and 32" senior? Should I just get a 32" senior if available?

It depends on the brand.  Some will have 10" wide intermediate pads vs 11" senior.  The internals of intermediate pads are typically less solid and sturdy to cut weight.  Some will have lower grade materials.

I'll say that I very highly doubt your 5" tall son should be in 32" pads though.  In those CCMs, I'd wear a 33" or 34", and I'm 5'10".  I wear a 32" Brian's pad, and 33" Warrior.  Take the measurements as described above.  I understand that pads are expensive and kids grow and outgrow them.  But to buy pads that are too big so he can "grow into them" to try and save a buck is a bad, bad idea.  Pads that are too big are no different than pads that are too small.  A poorly fitting pad is a porrly fitting pad.  You can make a small pad bigger by adding a boot riser or going with a Lundy boot strap.  You can't make big pads smaller.  Please do not make this mistake.

There is typically a market for used pads.  You yourself noted how smaller pads get gobbled up on GGSU.  Get the Eflex2's (they'll have a higher resale value) in the correct size (maybe a hair bigger) and plan on using them until he outgrows them and then selling them to get something back.  You're on a time crunch right now, so you have to get what's available.  But in the future, you should have more notice and can start looking for a used set that will fit him, and save you some money, sooner.

Ok - noted on the size. That's why I wanted input. I am poring over all the size charts I can find.

I expect these pads to last 1-2 seasons, so I'm not buying with the idea he'll grow into them, rather I'm buying with the idea he won't grow out of them before March 2018, and bonus if his rate of growth is slow enough to make the pads last until March 2019. 

Great post @psulion22! And I agree with the boot risers. They can make some minor adjustments, especially on a set that has a really soft boot area that breaks in. Personally I think I need my pads more like a 33.5+2 instead of a 33+2, so I'm going to get PAW to make me a pair of 1/2" risers. 

Thanks for all the help. We ordered the CCM 860's in a 31+1 intermediate pad. According to the CCM size chart these should work for him with his a2k and f2k measurements. If not, we'll deal with it when we get the pads on him and determine how much room we have.

So, now I'm on to sticks... can someone explain what 'right' and 'full right' means?

Thanks again for the help.

19 minutes ago, 2nhockey said:

Thanks for all the help. We ordered the CCM 860's in a 31+1 intermediate pad. According to the CCM size chart these should work for him with his a2k and f2k measurements. If not, we'll deal with it when we get the pads on him and determine how much room we have.

So, now I'm on to sticks... can someone explain what 'right' and 'full right' means?

Thanks again for the help.

Full right is for left handed people (that hold their stick in their left hand)

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Full right is for left handed people (that hold their stick in their left hand)

Like me and about three other people.

My son is signed up for a 1-week hockey camp which is for all things hockey for about 5 hours/day this week. Of those 5 hours a little over 2 is on ice. The balance is dryland, seminars/lecture, lunch, etc.

He is also signed up for a goalie clinic which runs about twice a week for the summer. This clinic is 1 hour on the ice and 90 minutes off ice per session.

Today was day 1 of the camp so he has completed 2 days of the clinic, 1 of the camp, and he is absolutely thrilled with the new pads. They are a full 3" taller with a lot more padding than his old pads, and he has to get used to all the protection on the sides and even back his old pads didn't have. The new CCM's are really quite a bit different than the old Missions. It took him until just about when they got off the ice today before he started looking really comfortable in the new pads (so about 4 hours of skating/moving in the crease). I don't think we got the size wrong at all judging by his movements and where his knees lined up in the cradle. So, thanks for the help - absolutely nailed it. Pads look great as well.