Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

Can OPS blades be salvaged?

I got the blade from a broken Tacks 5092 at the local rink from someone who found it in the trash, it's severed right below the big white CCM logo on the lower third of the shaft. Would this fit in another shaft with some work, or is it just unusable? 

I'm also not sure what curve it is, it's quite mild though.

Yeah, I think I read that thread or a similar one. It's very possible. Last week I did the opposite. I made a shaft out of a stick with a broken blade. 

I got a good look at what's inside and removing the blade knob thing from the shaft wasn't much harder than removing a stubborn blade from a normal two piece set up.

You'll probably have an easier time. You can trim the broken shaft off like pealing an onion. 

Yes and no.  It depends on the type of stick.  In almost all cases, if the blade is removable at all, it will only fit tapered shafts, not standard.  The only exception I know of to this is 

Also, in recent years, with the development of dagger (QR series, recent Vapors) and elliptical tapers (Stealth), and particularly with "true one-piece" construction (most top line sticks, regardless of brand) where the shaft runs right through to the blade hollow, lots of higher end sticks will not have any material in the hosel area at all, or if they do, it will not be properly shaped to fit any type of shaft. 

It's very tough to figure out through the marketing mumbo jumbo to figure out what will work and what won't.  Based on the position in the line, and shaft geometry, my guess is that your 5092 blade can be salvaged.  Best way to find out would be to stick a tape measure down till it hits the top of the hosel, mark that, then cut that length off the outside of the shaft. Then you should hopefully see a line delineating the difference between the hosel and the shaft, which you can start chipping away at. I'd pull another blade you have elsewhere to mark where the bottom of the tenon should go to.