Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Paddy

References for understanding pro gear brands/names

Only part you need to read: How can I identify and understand gear that is/was only available to pros?

Back story:

Beer league has been fun, and i got away with minimal padding for a while. Last week i learned that i think I'd rather lug around heavier protective gear for those once in a blue moon big spills.

Specifically, I'm looking into shoulder pads. My minimalist low end shoulders had been more than enough for the light contact up to this point. Most of what i know about my "crash" is based on what teammates told me. What i do know is the pain I've got in my ribs on one side, and shoulder on the opposite.

My research has me interested in retail shoulder pads that are now multiple generations discontinued. However, i see many members here talk about ebay and sidelineswap gems that are non-retail available pro shoulders. Reebok comes up a lot, even Jofa, but the naming conventions leave me lost.

Tldr: how can I identify and understand gear that is/was only available to pros?

13 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

You don’t need pro stock to get protective gear. 

...and you can't protect against every possible scenario. Spills happen, as do bumps and bruises. 

I wouldn't change things up for what may be a one time thing. If this were a reoccurring issue I may look to better protect that area.

Edited by stick9

9 hours ago, stick9 said:

...and you can't protect against every possible scenario. Spills happen, as do bumps and bruises. 

I wouldn't change things up for what may be a one time thing. If this were a reoccurring issue I may look to better protect that area.

Yea, that was actually my initial thought. But if lightning strikes twice, I'm going to be one unhappy camper.