Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
apeks74

"Pro Spec" Skate sizing

Apologies if this has been discussed, I did do a search and did not see anything.

With the major manufacturers pushing scanned image sizing and skate recommendations, is anyone actually going with the "Pro Spec" sizing recommendations, including the pros?  I have been scanned by two different manufacturers and both recommended a skate a full size and a half smaller then I have been using and models that I felt I could barley get my foot into.  I am sure baking would help but seems it would still be cramped and would require being punched out to be able to wear them for more than a few minutes. I do have a wide foot.

So I guess the question is are people using these recommendations and how much a difference would it make?  I don't have heel lock issues in the current size, although my toes barely touch the end of the toe cap.

• Like 1

If 2 separate manufacturers using 3D scanning technology recommend a skate size that is down 1 and 1/2 sizes from your current skate then your skates are TOO big.  For someone whose feet have stopped growing your goal is to get your feet into a skate without any negative space.  For someone whose feet are still growing you don't want to be any bigger than 1/2 size up from pro fit.

Did you try on any of the recommended retail skates to see how they fit?  How any one person wants a skate to fit comes down to personal preference.  I recently did a pair of MyBauer customs where the customer went with the recommended sizing and was completely satisfied with the fit.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 4:37 AM, apeks74 said:

Apologies if this has been discussed, I did do a search and did not see anything.

With the major manufacturers pushing scanned image sizing and skate recommendations, is anyone actually going with the "Pro Spec" sizing recommendations, including the pros?  I have been scanned by two different manufacturers and both recommended a skate a full size and a half smaller then I have been using and models that I felt I could barley get my foot into.  I am sure baking would help but seems it would still be cramped and would require being punched out to be able to wear them for more than a few minutes. I do have a wide foot.

So I guess the question is are people using these recommendations and how much a difference would it make?  I don't have heel lock issues in the current size, although my toes barely touch the end of the toe cap.

Personally I think you should always know how to size yourself with retail boots, then you can compare that with the scan results. Length is simple to do, laces out (this is important), tongue pulled right out(stops the foot from binding on anything), foot in boot and push forward till toes are brushing the toe cap. Lean forward and try to fit a pencil between your heel and the back of the boot. If you can slide the pencil down there then you are in a skate that is at least 1/2 a size too big for a perfect length fit. However some skaters don't like their toes close to the toe cap so you may try this with your toes off the toe cap. Regardless of your foot shape, this method will always work.

Edited by Vet88
  • Like 2

My personal experience with the scanners from CCM, Bauer, and True have put me in skates that are bigger than I am used to wearing. I like my toes to be crammed into the toe cap with no wiggle room. CCM, for example, put me in skates that are 1 full size too big and not wide enough. If they are sizing you for skates that are 1.5 sizes smaller than you are used to wearing its likely your current skates are too big or the scanner just doesn't like your feet. 

I wish I could find a link to back this up, but I’ve read that shoe and boot companies see less online returns from shoes that fit too big, as compared to shoes that fit too small. So, they tend to error in oversizing, to process less returns. 

I’d imagine skates are the same way. The average person (not the hockey equipment 1% elite that is modsquad) is wanting out-of-the-box comfort. So, if companies put them in something a half size bigger,  they’re not going to feel pinching and pressure and be happier with their purchase, even if it’s not the optimal fit. 

You definitely see that a lot in snowboard boots. People are looking to buy boots that are sneaker level comfortable, and don’t consider materials breaking in, or heat molding, or that something designed to be relatively stiff and responsive probably shouldn’t feel like a pair of broken in shoes. 

• Like 2

Almost every online site will describe skate sizing as "manufacturer recommends 1.5 size down from shoe size".  Which is why a size 8 skate will say US 9.5 on some skates.  However, no one ever buys a tight fitting shoe/sneaker so that will make "that skate sizing" too big to begin with.  Then you factor in personal preference as to how someone wants their skate to fit.  

I agree that the majority of skaters want comfort and for that 1/2 size up from performance fit will give you that.  Anything bigger than that and in my opinion takes away from one's skating ability significantly.