Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fedorov91

Funny Story at Drop In last Night

So Last night I played some drop in roller with 2 of my buddies. About 10-15 mins into the drop in I took a one timer and my stick broke in half (my XV, I liked that shaft too :( ) no big deal right? Well being the smart guy I am it was the only stick I had with me. So I'm going around asking everyone if they have an extra stick(I'm a lefty), it turns out that EVERY single player there was right handed :angry:. I guess I was the minority. Some guy let me use his righty stick and it had a big Lidstrom-ish curve to it and I tried using it left handed, just wasn't working out for me...

So I'm like "f*ck it, I'm gonna play right handed" lol. At first it felt really weird but after a few minutes I guess I started to get a little more used to it. So I'm out there playing righty and I was able to pull off a lot of my moves that I usually do. I was doing toe drags, spin o ramas, one handed moves... it was awesome. Most of the guys knew that I was playing "wrong-handed" and they were all just like "what the F*CK??" Some guy came up to my goalie friend and said "dude! ur friend is better than me right handed and I am right handed!" haha. I ended up scoring 3 pretty nice goals playing righty. My 1st one was probably the sweetest, I was 1 on 1 with the dman and I did a fake slapper then toe dragged it around him and he yelled out something as I went by him, I think he might have been a little embarassed :P then I just did a little fake wrister on the goalie and put in it. I also tried to do a Brett Hull slapper (getting down on the one knee) which resulted in me falling on my ass and the puck going about 20 feet in the air... ;)

Afterwards this one guy who was with his gf watching the game came up to me and said "man, I like how u play, u play a lot like Datsyuk" He didn't know that I was really a lefty either so I said something like "well if I was actually shooting the right way... err... left way, then I play like Datsyuk..." lol

Anyway, that was the highlight of my evening and I felt pretty good about it so I just thought I'd share that story with my fellow MSH'ers. :D

LOL....that's pretty cool. I'm a righty and there's no way in hell I could play left-handed. That's why I always bring a back-up stick :)

That is weird. Whats worse, I was honestly wondering if I would be able to play as a righty (I'm also left) and how long it'd take me to adapt.

I remember a long time ago me and my friend (Im LH he's RH) played 1 on 1 with each others sticks and it resembled a hockey game from the special olympics :ph34r: lol

I don't know why but I'm actually pretty decent right handed. I think I'll try it again sometime, it was pretty fun.

I was right handed, but my dad made me switch when I was young because he heard of the "dominant hand on top" rule and wouldn't let me play if I didn't switch. :P

Im a lefty (in hockey) and I've tried to play right handed and it was REALLY wierd. I didn't try for very long though, so maybe I would have gotten used to it.

I was right handed, but my dad made me switch when I was young because he heard of the "dominant hand on top" rule and wouldn't let me play if I didn't switch. :P

You have a great father :) .

About the topic: Sometimes the coach of my brother made them play on their wrong side for fun(3 VS 3).

The kid that got me started in hockey, was just a great athlete and hockey player.

He wrote and shot right handed and sometimes he'd play lefty just for fun.

He played just as well. Couldn't shoot as hard, but he could stickhandle like crazy.

The above stories are all interesting...I can relate somewhat:

I am a right handed individual. You know, my right hand is my dominant hand...like most of the population. I write with my right hand, hold my eating utensils in my right hand, etc.

When I play roller hockey, I use right handed sticks...better/faster shot, bit lesser degree of stickhandling ability though.

When I play ice hockey, I use left handed sticks...much better stickhandling, but a bit weaker shot...however shot placement and backhands are better. The left handed stick handling really integrates well with my skating tendencies when playing ice...it's the edge work required I guess.

Anyway...I naturally began playing with right handed sticks...It's the way I golf, and bat in baseball, so I didn't really think much of it, until...one day when I was outside shovelling. I caught myself with the my right hand (the dominant one) on the top end of the shovel shaft and the left hand closer to the blade. Thought for a moment "that's wierd" but went on... When I was done with shoveling, I used a rake to smooth out the dirt pile I just created and...same thing...dominant hand on top. All this was done naturally, with out thinking about it at first. I proceded to put the shovel and rake away in the garage grabbed a push broom and went to sweep up the dirt that fell onto the floor. Again the dominant hand naturally went to the top. That's when it hit me about playing hockey...I always wondered why most NHLers are lefties when the worlds population is greater than 75% righty... This is when I put the two together and went the LHS later that week, bought a cheap lefty bladed stick to try out.

So here I am today...garage full of blades and sticks. To this day I still prefer to play roller hockey right handed and Ice hockey left handed. Go figure, eh?

Anyway...I naturally began playing with right handed sticks...It's the way I golf, and bat in baseball, so I didn't really think much of it, until...one day when I was outside shovelling. I caught myself with the my right hand (the dominant one) on the top end of the shovel shaft and the left hand closer to the blade. Thought for a moment "that's wierd" but went on... When I was done with shoveling, I used a rake to smooth out the dirt pile I just created and...same thing...dominant hand on top. All this was done naturally, with out thinking about it at first. I proceded to put the shovel and rake away in the garage grabbed a push broom and went to sweep up the dirt that fell onto the floor.

Wow, I thought I was the only one.....

I'm a righty (right is my dominant hand, I write right, I shoot right, etc....)

But for some unknown reason the only thing I do left-handed is digging. Not that I find myself digging holes too often...well not literally anyway. :P