Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KingstonMike

Shaft for smaller adult.

I'm 41 years old, 5'5", 150 pounds, play center and have recently started playing again in an over 40 league after 22 years off.

The whole OPS, shaft and blade world is very new to me. So much to choose from!

Having smaller hands I find most shafts to be too boxy for me.

I'm currently using a Hespeler 9100 shaft primarily because its shape fits my hands very well and it was inexpensive.

I've checked out the Easton Cyclone (which I liked) and the Typhoon Int.

Can anyone recommend some other shafts or OPS I should look at?

I play in a wrist shot only league, no snap or slap shots at the goalie allowed.

Thanks!

welcome mike,

i have a 70 flex cyclone and an int typhoon and i like them both. i too am 5'5" and 155lbs. if money is an issue, there isnt much performance difference, just a 55 gram weight difference. either shaft, with a nice graphite blade is perfect.

my cyclone-gear carbon blade is about 430 grams, lighter than most high end ops (synergy si-core, v120, R+ etc.) and my typhoon-zcarbon is about 470 grams, lighter than most price point ops (havoc,bauer tru-flex,)

hope this helps.

I have a senior Easton Typhoon that I use as my main stick and it is wonderful. I'm not a very strong guy, so having a stick with an 80 flex is great. You can get some good zing on your shots with it. I would recommend that shaft to anyone.

You could also get "normal" sticks, but go with an intermediate in size (the shaft dimensions are smaller).

what is "normal"?

The Cyclone takes regular senior blades. I don't know if it's called an Intermediate shaft, because the length is the same as a senior, it's just the shaft diameter at the top is a bit smaller and it feels a bit whippier than a standard senior shaft.

I think the Cyclone is a great choice. It's very light, with a smaller radius it's very easy to hold, good feel, and very reasonably priced. I don't feel an OPS is really worth it for most people, and if you look at the poll posted lower down on here 66% of people that answered the poll said they prefered a 2-piece stick combination to a 1-piece stick. If you're just getting back into hockey a 2-piece is a great choice. It's much cheaper to start off with, and it is much cheaper if you want to experiment with different curves. It's not going to break the bank to go buy 4 wood blades at 10-15 dollars a piece to try out a bunch of different curves to see which one you like best, but realistically most people can't do that with an OPS.

yes, the int. typhoon takes senior blades. the 70 flex cyclone is considered an "intermediate" shaft. the 70 and 95 flex cyclone are about the same size. be careful if you decide on the cyclone. i bought mine online and it flexed identical to my friends 95 flex (mine is 70). if you decide on either one, i dont think you can go wrong.

Perhaps a TPS shaft might be good. I like the whip flex which is equivalent to the Easton's 75 flex. They have shaft shapes for smaller hands. I think its called pro-radius, but it is rounded rather than a square shape.

Like Biggy said, any Pro-Radius shaft should be great. Especially since alot of sticks, the rubbers and Tri-Cores have been on sale alot recently, or should be on sale soon. The Whip is around a 75, and regular is about a 90 flex.

You could also get "normal" sticks, but go with an intermediate in size (the shaft dimensions are smaller).

what is "normal"?

"Normal" = traditionally shaped (i.e., full rectangle - not rounded, not oval, not concave, etc) senior stick. I just figued if he's 5'1 and 150 the shaft dimension of an intermediate might feel more at home in his hands than that of the larger senior size (which he said he found uncomfortable)

what is "normal"?

"Normal" = traditionally shaped (i.e., full rectangle - not rounded, not oval, not concave, etc) senior stick. I just figued if he's 5'1 and 150 the shaft dimension of an intermediate might feel more at home in his hands than that of the larger senior size (which he said he found uncomfortable)

5'1" :o

I know I'm shrinking with age but ... :D

Thanks to all who replied - this is a great resource!

Mike

well sportchek put some cyclones on sale on boxing dal, 70 bucks gets you a 70 flex cyclone (that felt to me like a 95) and an ultra graphite blade...which usually run about 50 dollars. I dont know if theyl have any left but its worth a look

well sportchek put some cyclones on sale on boxing dal, 70 bucks gets you a 70 flex cyclone (that felt to me like a 95) and an ultra graphite blade...which usually run about 50 dollars. I dont know if theyl have any left but its worth a look

Yea I saw those too. But when I saw them in the store, all the sticks were done in a very sloppy manner. I saw some blades with the hosel still sticking out. Anyways, in my opinion the blue Easton Cyclone is one of my least favorite from the Cyclones. Does anyone have an aluminum Cyclone? I tried my friends once and it was like heaven. The red Cyclones are pretty good for their price but I just don't like the feel and price of the blue ones.