Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jeff Rumson

ccm custom skates

Recommended Posts

Has anyone purchased ccm full custom skates with the option - Donut Pads - for the ankle foam ? if so what are your thoughts - could you give a bit of a review 

Quote
Quote

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jeff Rumson said:

Has anyone purchased ccm full custom skates with the option - Donut Pads - for the ankle foam ? if so what are your thoughts - could you give a bit of a review 

 

Then donut pads are nice. I have them. There are 3 upgrade options actually, donut pads (thick), donut pads 2 (thicker) and poron (thickest)

I went with the standard donut pads. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MBBboeCmCeWXh44i9

Edited by Nicholas G
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Nicholas , thanks for sharing that info and the pics  . I saw a sample model ft2 with the donut pads but I didn’t know there were three increments of thicknesses .  My son works for pure hockey and they don’t have a detailed list of options unless they actually scan someone’s foot with the iPad then it brings you through the list as you go through the build process . Last summer I did a custom build AS1s they had the option of donut pads but there were no samples or pics to view so I went with stock foam . They are definitely the best skates I’ve had but I’m always looking for improved fit so I think I’m going to to another full custom with FT2s . I’ll probably go with the mid level thickness donut pads and the clarino liner . I have a bony shape ankle and heel so the thicket donut shaped pads should fill in the hollows around the balks of my ankles and hopefully remove all negative space . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jeff Rumson said:

Nicholas ,  do feel you get a good evenly dispersed lock in with no heel slip without needing to aggressively tighten the skates ? 

Yes, I barely have to tighten them at all. I also went with the 1/4" advanced facing as well so it allows much more forward flex. 

12 hours ago, Jeff Rumson said:

Hey Nicholas , thanks for sharing that info and the pics  . I saw a sample model ft2 with the donut pads but I didn’t know there were three increments of thicknesses .  My son works for pure hockey and they don’t have a detailed list of options unless they actually scan someone’s foot with the iPad then it brings you through the list as you go through the build process . Last summer I did a custom build AS1s they had the option of donut pads but there were no samples or pics to view so I went with stock foam . They are definitely the best skates I’ve had but I’m always looking for improved fit so I think I’m going to to another full custom with FT2s . I’ll probably go with the mid level thickness donut pads and the clarino liner . I have a bony shape ankle and heel so the thicket donut shaped pads should fill in the hollows around the balks of my ankles and hopefully remove all negative space . 

If you have bony ankles I would recommend the donut pads 2. The regular donut pads are only slightly thicker than the standard option. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

Yes, I barely have to tighten them at all. I also went with the 1/4" advanced facing as well so it allows much more forward flex. 

If you have bony ankles I would recommend the donut pads 2. The regular donut pads are only slightly thicker than the standard option. 

Good to know, I had questions about that as well.  I had to have the shoemaker who used to work on everybody’s skates put extra felt in mine because of my boniness 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jeff Rumson said:

Nicholas , did you go with thicker tongue ? Stiffer boot ? 

I went with the 10mm black felt tongue and standard FT2 boot stiffness. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fordyoz said:

I dont even remember specifying when i ordered.  No one asked.

They look like donut 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fordyoz said:

my remakes just came in, wrong laces again lol.  will get em baked and throw some waxed laces on to see how they feel.

Why did you have them remade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasnt happy with the fit.  the donut pads were killing my ankles, causing bruising.  there was a pressure point just before the toe box on my right foot.  i just overall was very dissatisfied with the fit.  My scan wasnt very accurate the first time, it was blocky.  And even my second time the scanner had major issues to the point where we did about 7 or 8 scans and then just opted to take pictures of my feet to use along with the prior scan.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fordyoz said:

I wasnt happy with the fit.  the donut pads were killing my ankles, causing bruising.  there was a pressure point just before the toe box on my right foot.  i just overall was very dissatisfied with the fit.  My scan wasnt very accurate the first time, it was blocky.  And even my second time the scanner had major issues to the point where we did about 7 or 8 scans and then just opted to take pictures of my feet to use along with the prior scan.  

 

AS1 or FT2? I heard of many issues with the custom AS1 skates. Not any issues really with the FT2 though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fordyoz said:

Ft2

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the new ones are good to go 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the CCM custom program, is the fit also customizable? For example, in Bauer I have a "Supreme 1S" foot shape, not a Vapor (lace bite). If I have a Super Tack foot shape, could I get a FT2 skate with a fit for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, clarkiestooth said:

With the CCM custom program, is the fit also customizable? For example, in Bauer I have a "Supreme 1S" foot shape, not a Vapor (lace bite). If I have a Super Tack foot shape, could I get a FT2 skate with a fit for me?

Yes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 1:35 PM, SkateWorksPNW said:

Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the new ones are good to go 🙂 

Just wondering , have you skated with the remakes ? How are they ?

Also does anyone know what the difference in thicknesses are on the donut pad options between 1 2 and 3

i'm about to do a total custom ccm i know i want the donut pads , I'm leaning towards the thickest option just not sure if it will be the right decision . i do have very boney ankle and heel sculptures . The foam pads in off the shelf skates are just not thick enough to fill the negative space below and around the balls of my ankles and achilles area , so I'm thinking the donut pad construction should solve this issue ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeff Rumson said:

Just wondering , have you skated with the remakes ? How are they ?

Also does anyone know what the difference in thicknesses are on the donut pad options between 1 2 and 3

i'm about to do a total custom ccm i know i want the donut pads , I'm leaning towards the thickest option just not sure if it will be the right decision . i do have very boney ankle and heel sculptures . The foam pads in off the shelf skates are just not thick enough to fill the negative space below and around the balls of my ankles and achilles area , so I'm thinking the donut pad construction should solve this issue ? 

I would say about 1mm per each donut pad. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 8:16 AM, SkateWorksPNW said:

AS1 or FT2? I heard of many issues with the custom AS1 skates. Not any issues really with the FT2 though. 

I had issues with the as1 retail in the toe box area where it met the boot. Huge plastic bump digging into my pinky toe. Had to line it with thin foam. 

As for customizing the fit type if u scan a tacks but want an ft2... If there are volume issues wouldn't you have to get the ft2 but increase the facing? My belief was that they just make the boot the same way as retail except a few things like 1/4 sizing, eyelet options, stiffness, etc. And just high pressure mould the boot to your foot last for the "custom" fit portion.... So if u didn't get advanced facings on the ft2 wouldn't u still have volume issues? 

Edited by Sniper9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...