Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Parklane390

Having trouble with skate fit

Hello everyone.  I'll preface this by saying I'm 6' 1" and 325lbs with short wide feet.  The only pair of skates I've ever owned are an old hand me down pair of Bauer Supreme 7000's I got from my uncle in size 10.  They've always been way too big but I've made them work in the past.  I decided the other day that I'm going to get into playing in adult leagues to lose weight and for an overall love of the game.  I went to my local hockey store and they put me on the Bauer 3D scanner.  It said I should be in a pair of Bauer Nexus size 6.5D.  I tried them on and they were too small.  So the guys manually measured my feet and said I should be in a 7.0EE.  So they have me a pair of CCM Jetspeed FT460's to try.  They felt okay sitting at the store so I picked them up.  I couldn't even walk in these things the next day.  The toe box crushes my toes on the sides and cuts into the top of my foot when I'm standing.  Also my ankles buckle from side to side while trying to walk or stand on them but I've read that it's probably my weight and I need a higher price point skate with more stiffness.  I was thinking that maybe the scanner was right about the Bauer Nexus because of the higher volume in the skate but they only come in a D.  Any advice that you all could give me would be much appreciated.  This is the first pair of skates I've ever bought.  Thank you!

You haven't mentioned budget or what type of stores you have access to, so I'm going to assume a $1,000 skate is not what you want and that you don't have access to EE Nexus.

Jetspeeds are a little narrow up front, and definitely not appropriate for someone with very wide feet.  If I were you, I would try Tacks, and Supreme in 6.5, 7 and 7.5 EE..  You could also try a EE Ribcor, but it will definitely feel too narrow until it's baked.

In Tacks you probably want the 9080, maybe 9070 or 9090.  In Supremes you're looking for an S29 or 2S.

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah I didn't include budget.  My limit is about $500.  I live outside of Detroit so I've got quite a few hockey stores available to me.  I made the mistake of going with their recommendation and not trying on a bunch of different models and what not.  I'm going back this afternoon to take these ones back and try on more.  Hopefully I can find something.  The store I've been going to has kind of a limited inventory but that seems to be the norm with the stores around here.

Find a good store with an excellent fitting service and lot of options to try or go the custom way. 

I was 106kg and I have the skate size 6.5D. As a beginner I didn't know how a good fitting skate should feel like. My problems only appeared after some time on the ice. After four pairs of skates, hundreds of insoles and custom insoles I found an acceptable solution. At least the Bauer scanner was right for me. But forget everything below the 2S or 2N level because of the stiffnes and the heatmouldability. You will need good fitting and supportive skates to have fun on the ice. 

p. s. : Hockey will improve your fitness and health but will make you hungry. To loose weight you will have to reduce your calories input. With a zero sugar and low fat diet I could loose 20 pounds in three months and still had the power for hockey 😉