Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Supple

Speed plate 2.0

13 hours ago, caseyjones said:

Yea I was kind of the opposite.  Never thought I’d wear a skate in a narrow fit, but some skates definitely allow you to mold them well.  I went with the best heel lock and tightest fitting all around to the point where it feels uncomfortable when you first put them on.  I found that after sitting with the mach’s tied up for about 10 minutes they’d start to open up a bit.  Then the baking and punching process makes them ultimately feel like a glove.  I do wonder if there was some kind of defect with my first pair.  Size 6 fit 2 was crushing my big toe on my left foot.  Two different pairs of size 6 fit 1 and I don’t experience that at all.  That first pair almost had me go up a half a size which would’ve been a mistake.  

there’s not a ton of movement with the speed plate.  You can hear it click back and forth.  Few mm at most.  I had to pry the stock footbeds out with a tool they were so tight.  I have a feeling the 1.0’s coming today will fit bette r since they are meant for a 6.5 skate and apparently take up less volume than the 2.0’s, but we’ll see…

edit: 1.0’s so much better for me. Size 6.5 fits perfect.  Nice and thin.  2.0’s are too bulky for me.  Completely changed the volume of the skate.  I took out the stock insoles (also very thick) and have been skating on paper thin Bauer form fit insoles that had the tabs on the front of them.  Speed plate also are very thin but more rigid.  Excited to give these a whirl.  Now I have to scour the web for more of these.  Can’t find them anywhere in my size 

I have three sets of speed plate 1.0 and one of the 2.0. Fwiw, the size 7 and 6.5 speedplates are the same but you just trim them to the 6.5 length. But I'm with you, I prefer the 1.0 because I like the rigidity. The profile of the 2.0 didn't bother me but the arch support wasn't as firm as the 1.0. I hope Bauer keeps up with the speed plate. I know the 2.0 is still floating around and even in one of their more recent catalogues. 

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

I know the 2.0 is still floating around and even in one of their more recent catalogues. 

Going to say it's just a bunch of leftovers in limited sizes.  The original SpeedPlate fit and molded better than the second generation SpeedPlate.  Just prone to cracking overtime.  Something new from Bauer may be in the works.

• Like 1