Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
rkjunior

New to inline..skate question.

new to the site and looking for some feedback on skates.  Primarily an ice hockey player but would like to use inline this spring and summer.

I have an old pair of Mission Proto VR skates that I never used due to the sizing being narrow.  Is it worth throwing the Hi-Lo Penetrator frame from that skate on a pair of my old ice skate boots or has technology changed enough I should get something newer?

Appreciate the info!

That chassis would be fine. I believe it’s an older 72-80 Hilo frame the newer Hilo runs 76-80 wheels, but the concept is essentially unchanged.

If you’re looking to replicate ice skating as much as possible and you have the cash look at the marsblade o1 or maybe sprungs if you can find a pair.

And either way make sure you get decent outdoor wheels (82-86a generally), like the Hilo clingers or Labeda asphalts.

It is an older 72-80 frame. Luckily I bought outdoor wheels at the time when I got these so they're already setup to go.

Marsblade really have me intrigued.  Worth the hype?  In a perfect world, I'd like to have a boot similar in fit to my 2S Pro.  Debating finding a 2017-2018 model and the Marsblade chassis has me questioning doing anything with the Mission skate. 

Right now its more for training than playing. 

If I can piggyback on this thread... I haven't owned rollerblades in many years but want to get a pair to get back into skating while rinks are up in the air.

Are roller hockey skates usually the same size as ice skates? What's a good brand that offers a decent, cheap option, if any exist. I don't want Wal-Mart blades, but I'm also not going to go play in these any time soon, if that makes sense. Thanks folks!

18 hours ago, penguinpelts said:

If I can piggyback on this thread... I haven't owned rollerblades in many years but want to get a pair to get back into skating while rinks are up in the air.

Are roller hockey skates usually the same size as ice skates? What's a good brand that offers a decent, cheap option, if any exist. I don't want Wal-Mart blades, but I'm also not going to go play in these any time soon, if that makes sense. Thanks folks!

Same sizing as ice skates. Just get yourself a relatively cheap pair of "entry-level" skates from any of the manufacturers whose boots you're used to, already. A modern pair of $150 or $200 Bauers (for example) are much better than the top of the line skates that you could have bought 20 years ago. Same goes for modern ice skates if you decide to go with a conversion. 

I hadn't skated on wheels in 20+ years until I dug out my 1997 Bauer "Breakout 50" and used them until my Marsblades were installed on a new pair of boots. In the meantime, I tried and then resold a pair of Bauer RS; the boots were fantastic but I didn't like the Hi-Lo setup instead of smaller wheels in front and in back. The boots I bought for the conversion were virtually identical to them: entry-level Bauer MS-1 ice skates ($65) and they're great. You're not going to break down either of those boots without skating very hard in them for quite a while. If you spend $300 or $400+ on much higher-end skates, you may find them way too stiff, as I did: I also bought a pair of Alkali Revel II and returned them to Hockey Monkey immediately without even skating in them (obviously) just based on how uncomfortable and stiff they were compared with the Bauers, which felt perfect right out of the box and without baking. (The MS-1 are so "low level" that they're not even intended to be baked.) For reference, I normally use very stiff ice skates and tape them heavily for lateral support...so, if I'm saying these boots are plenty stiff, you can trust that. 

Edited by YesLanges
  • Like 1