Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sniper#39

NHL & PA to meet Wed Jan 19

The NHL owners have not publicly stated one concession, unlike the players. Until I see them make some effort to actually negotiate, I will continue to blame them. At least the players have made some offers that help the owners.

The owners offered to lower the age for unrestricted FA.

Plus, they've said that the only thing that they've been unwilling to discuss is cost certainty. They have said that if the NHLPA agrees to a linkage between salaries and revenues, then they are willing to give the players things back in other areas.

And really, that's the only big sticking point right now. And both sides are being equally stubborn in their stance on that main topic.

I have a feeling that things would go a lot quicker if the NHLPA gave in on cost certainty than vice versa.

If the owners give up on that, then they'll want concessions that the NHLPA won't be willing to do i.e. no longer mandating guaranteed contracts.

The owners offered to lower the age for unrestricted FA.

Plus, they've said that the only thing that they've been unwilling to discuss is cost certainty. They have said that if the NHLPA agrees to a linkage between salaries and revenues, then they are willing to give the players things back in other areas.

And really, that's the only big sticking point right now. And both sides are being equally stubborn in their stance on that main topic.

I have a feeling that things would go a lot quicker if the NHLPA gave in on cost certainty than vice versa.

If the owners give up on that, then they'll want concessions that the NHLPA won't be willing to do i.e. no longer mandating guaranteed contracts.

Lowering the age of free agency benefits the teams by having more players free agents at any given time. Having more free agents means more options for the teams and more options means lower contract values. It becomes more of a buyers market.

There is no way the NHLPA should agree to a linkage as long as the NHL refuses to make available the full financial information of all teams. Even Levitt noted in his report that he had to operate with what he was given and not research the numbers on his own.

If there is a hard cap at the $30m-$40M level, the NHL will be far worse than it was before the lockout as many European players will not play here. Also consider that Sidney Crosby could earn more over in Europe than the $1.7M maximum under the rookie cap.

Crosby will make more in endorsements then he will playing hockey.

That would require a lot of endorsements and his visibility level in the US is very low. To make major endorsement dollars he would need to be a household name in the US and right now hockey doesn't exist let alone a new, young player who hasn't done anything.

"I was told that the players would have no input into the economic structure of the league," Linden, the universally respected Vancouver winger and PA president told his fellow players in a 31/2-minute audio message posted on the union's internal web site that was heard by The Post.

"[batterman and VP Bill Daly] said we'd be given the same input into the NHL as auto workers in a General Motors factory.

"I'm not degrading auto workers, but in the auto industry, the car is the product. We are the labor and the product. I found this portion of the conversation insulting, and so would you if you had been there.

"It was made clear that the league will only accept a system that has a team-by-team hard cap," Linden said. "They are opposed to any payroll tax-based system no matter how high the tax rate or how low the payroll threshold. They are opposed to any real revenue sharing."

That would require a lot of endorsements and his visibility level in the US is very low. To make major endorsement dollars he would need to be a household name in the US and right now hockey doesn't exist let alone a new, young player who hasn't done anything.

Who said anything about Crosby playing in the US? If the NHL doesn't get their act together come fall he's playing in Europe.

Who said anything about Crosby playing in the US? If the NHL doesn't get their act together come fall he's playing in Europe.

endorsement dollars in Europe are much smaller than over here, no way he makes more in endorsements over there.

endorsement dollars in Europe are much smaller than over here, no way he makes more in endorsements over there.

Well, this is what his father was telling me on Friday...... if the NHL talks fell through. With no NHL hockey, a lot of players will be going to the Europen market much like the early 90's when the Eruopens flooded the NHL market. Both salaries and endorsements started to sky rocket.

Homegrown European players will still get the better deals over there. Funny how he said publicly that he would never play in Europe, now there's talk of it again.

He said publicly that he wanted to play in the best league in the world and that he currently believe that is in Europe.

A few months ago he said he had no plans to go to Europe. It all depends on who he talks to.

A few months ago he said he had no plans to go to Europe. It all depends on who he talks to.

A few months ago there could of been an NHL season. Who wouldn't change their mind, when now there is little doubt there will be an NHL season .....or next season.