Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jbear

Gloves: Removing "wear pads" on palms?

Hey Bros,

Before I ruin a perfectly good pair of gloves...I have a few pairs with wear-resistant patches, and I really don't care for the resulting lack of feel.  I think that they are just overlays.  Has anyone ever tried to cut the stitching and remove remove these patches? 

It's just a couple pairs of retail gloves that I happen to like in every other way. I can live with it but...if I don't have to...ya know?  I guess I'm spoiled by pro-stock🤣.

I'm not sure if it's sewn on separately or whether if you remove the stitching of the overlay, it'll dismantle part of the palm. I'm sure others would know. 

I'm not a fan of some overlays as well. Esp ones they aren't clarino or the same material as the rest of the palm. 

Most overlays are just stitched to the palm base, there are some however that are attached with adhesive before being sewn. A simple seam ripper should handle popping the stitches. If the overlay is attached under the binding (as most are) that would require very careful cutting of the overlay to get it off. 

• Like 1

You have to be really careful and check from the inside of the glove, because some gloves have the base layer as two or three pieces that are sewn together along the seams of the overlay. Not sure how to explain in exactly, but imagine that the stitching under the overlay is actually a seam along the base layer, where two or even three pieces are sewn together. If you remove the overlay, your single layer will just be two pieces of palm material sewn together, and as soon as that thread rips your palms will be completely open along that seam. 

Tl;dr: check inside the glove for a seam on the palm. Don't take off the overlay on of it's there. If the lower layer is one piece, you can try to get the overlay off

10 hours ago, Jbear said:

Hey Bros,

Before I ruin a perfectly good pair of gloves...I have a few pairs with wear-resistant patches, and I really don't care for the resulting lack of feel.  I think that they are just overlays.  Has anyone ever tried to cut the stitching and remove remove these patches? 

It's just a couple pairs of retail gloves that I happen to like in every other way. I can live with it but...if I don't have to...ya know?  I guess I'm spoiled by pro-stock🤣.

I do this with every pair of gloves I get, I hate the overlay.  The overlays are simply stitched on to the regular palm.  Use a seam ripper to pull out the visible seams across the palm.  That will leave you with the overlay attached at the thumb and the wrist.  Sometimes they’ll also be glued down so you may have to pull it apart from the main palm.  From there I generally just cut it off at the thumb seam and the cuff seam rather than trying to pull stitches from the cuff or the thumb.  In the ones I’ve seen the overlay is connected to the thumb seam of the main palm so if you pull that thread you’d need to put it back in afterwards, which is why I just cut the overlay as close as possible to the seam.  

Great info. folks...thanks so much! I'll try this on my 1s...it's actually just the thumb that bugs me, so hopefully...that'll resolve. 

Really appreciate the responses!