Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
GearSnob

Anyone with Custom Bauers?

2 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Except his point has a lot of validity. 

And his tone of voice was nothing like the response portrayed, it was a helpful, and as you pointed out, valid suggestion.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 7:48 AM, GearSnob said:

Hey hockey world,

Is there anyone here who has custom Bauer skates who wouldn't mind commenting on their fit and feel?  It would be especially helpful if someone with unusual feet could comment on the fit of custom Bauers.  It amazes me that although the vast majority of the NHL is Bauer skates, there is very little information on the internet about them other than propaganda.  

I am a southern redneck who moved to the midwest a couple years ago and at the age of 45 I stepped onto the ice, with my then 5-year-old son, for the first time.  We were both hooked.  I do totally suck at skating but I have goofy feet and I love having really nice equipment so hence the discussion.

All that being said, I have had two pairs of Trues made thus far and they were the most uncomfortable thing I have ever put on my feet.  Incredible pain in the forefoot, toes had to curl up, squeeze like a vice, feet went numb quickly, etc.  Each time the LHS agreed this wasn't right and sent them back but now the ball is in my court.  True has offered to try a third time but I'm scratching my chin trying to decide if I should try again or move on.  For the record, the LHS and True have both been incredibly nice about this and have worked with me.  I just have goofy feet . . .

Being a gear snob, I am now in Bauer Supremes (10 EE) which are punched to the hilt and still not wide nor deep enough but I love the boot (and moreover, the name) so I am thinking about getting a pair of Bauers made.

Right now I am just looking to get feedback from anyone who has first hand, or first foot, experience with the Bauer customs.  I am amazed at how little public feedback there is out there.

Thanks everyone and thanks to the hockey community for being so supportive of myself and my son over the past two years!  Great people is all I have found and I love it! 

Edited by GearSnob

On 10/17/2020 at 7:48 AM, GearSnob said:

Hey hockey world,

Is there anyone here who has custom Bauer skates who wouldn't mind commenting on their fit and feel?  It would be especially helpful if someone with unusual feet could comment on the fit of custom Bauers.  It amazes me that although the vast majority of the NHL is Bauer skates, there is very little information on the internet about them other than propaganda.  

I am a southern redneck who moved to the midwest a couple years ago and at the age of 45 I stepped onto the ice, with my then 5-year-old son, for the first time.  We were both hooked.  I do totally suck at skating but I have goofy feet and I love having really nice equipment so hence the discussion.

All that being said, I have had two pairs of Trues made thus far and they were the most uncomfortable thing I have ever put on my feet.  Incredible pain in the forefoot, toes had to curl up, squeeze like a vice, feet went numb quickly, etc.  Each time the LHS agreed this wasn't right and sent them back but now the ball is in my court.  True has offered to try a third time but I'm scratching my chin trying to decide if I should try again or move on.  For the record, the LHS and True have both been incredibly nice about this and have worked with me.  I just have goofy feet . . .

Being a gear snob, I am now in Bauer Supremes (10 EE) which are punched to the hilt and still not wide nor deep enough but I love the boot (and moreover, the name) so I am thinking about getting a pair of Bauers made.

Right now I am just looking to get feedback from anyone who has first hand, or first foot, experience with the Bauer customs.  I am amazed at how little public feedback there is out there.

Thanks everyone and thanks to the hockey community for being so supportive of myself and my son over the past two years!  Great people is all I have found and I love it! 

How did the above post devolve into "LEARN TO SKATE NOOB!"?  Please sir, for your own personal and intellectual evolution, reread the above post and ask yourself how those words led you to such a comment.  And I realize you may not be directly responding to my original post but the same logic applies.

Since my first exposure to the recreational hockey world, I have met a lot of hockey families and personalities and I have to say that by far and away most are very good people . . . and until this post every single person has been very receptive to a guy and his kids skating for the first time.  

Neither my wife nor I have the slightest bit of concern over me dropping a couple of dollars here and there on custom skates even if I have absolutely no need for them.  

To all others who have commented, I appreciate and respect the time and effort you invested into my question.

1 hour ago, GearSnob said:

How did the above post devolve into "LEARN TO SKATE NOOB!"?  Please sir, for your own personal and intellectual evolution, reread the above post and ask yourself how those words led you to such a comment.  And I realize you may not be directly responding to my original post but the same logic applies.

Since my first exposure to the recreational hockey world, I have met a lot of hockey families and personalities and I have to say that by far and away most are very good people . . . and until this post every single person has been very receptive to a guy and his kids skating for the first time.  

Neither my wife nor I have the slightest bit of concern over me dropping a couple of dollars here and there on custom skates even if I have absolutely no need for them.  

To all others who have commented, I appreciate and respect the time and effort you invested into my question.

I agree. Your skill level is irrelevant. In fact, most of the people here would probably be classified as intermediate or novice skaters. If you have the money you can spend it however you want. 

17 hours ago, Stearnso said:

Them: My custom fitted skates are causing pain and still don't fit right even with the manufacturer's guarantee

You: LEARN TO SKATE, NOOB! 

That is unfair as that is not what I said, and if the OP did think I said that, then I apologise to him. I commented because he said in his posts that “I do totally suck at skating” and “I’ll never be able to play or even skate well”. 

The point I wanted to make is that contrary to what he thinks a skating coach could teach him to skate well. I know from first hand experience that a good coach can turn a poor skater into a half decent one. And skating is the core skill for playing hockey. To be honest I really did not appreciate how big a difference a skating coach can make. In my own case I had to completely relearn how to skate as I had got everything wrong. I was a total muppet with no control. And once you get the basics right, you enjoy skating so much more, and in my case I was safer. 

As for beginners and intermediate players having high end and custom skates, if you have the money then go for it. They are worth it for the comfort factor. 

Anyway, I do hope the OP sorts out his skates. 

19 hours ago, Stearnso said:

Them: My custom fitted skates are causing pain and still don't fit right even with the manufacturer's guarantee

You: LEARN TO SKATE, NOOB! 

Reading comprehension, dawg. He said if you're not concerned to drop a G on skates then consider dropping a G on lessons, it will do more for your skating than custom skates. The guy didn't say anything about not getting the right fitting skates and redoing the custom job, just that if money isn't an issue, put it towards skating lessons. IMO very sound advice. Obviously get skates that fit well and are comfortable, and, like a few mentioned, give True another shot, but also look into lessons if you have the change to drop. 

• Thanks 1