Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JAY4114

Tick sound in brand new stick

I just bought a brand new Trigger 4 pro and I flexed it and there is a ticking sound around the middle of the shaft. I can’t tell what it is. I’m just a little concerned about it being cracked. Any advice would help.

16 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

is that a fused shaft?  Glue maybe? Perhaps some loose carbon weave?

I think it’s a fused shaft. I’m not completely sure. How does a broken shaft feel? Would I feel anything if it’s just a very small crack?

Edited by JAY4114

Ccm still makes fused sticks fyi. I have two trigger 4 pros. One had a crackle sound when I flexed it for the first couple times but it went away. One clicks every time in the exact same spot. I don't notice any cracks on the shaft at all and my shots are suffering. Stick did this from day one. It may just be epoxy on the inside. 

My ft3 pro didn't an doesn't make any sound tho. 

Edited by Sniper9

4 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Ccm still makes fused sticks fyi. Ive had three trigger 4 pros. One didn't click. One had a crackle sound when I flexed it for the first couple times but it went away. One clicks every time in the exact same spot. I don't notice any cracks on the shaft at all and my shots are suffering. Stick did this from day one. It may just be epoxy on the inside. 

Yeah my bad I’ve been looking at so many sticks that I couldn’t remember if this one was fused or one piece. I can’t really describe the sound that well. To me it doesn’t really sound like a cracking noise. It sounds more like bending something that was glued together. It only happens when I flex the shaft on my forehand and vertically. It doesn’t feel like it’s more bendable on my backhand but doesn’t make the sound. It’s around the green spiral and where it says trigger 4. When I flex I’m barely putting on any weight and I still get the sound always at the same volume. I’m planning on giving it a few decently hard slap shots tomorrow. Maybe it’s just how Ccm was making them that some had that click?

Edited by JAY4114

I could be totally wrong but whenever I heard a "crackle" sound with a CCM stick, it's usually the outer carbon fiber layer seperating.  Happens usually on the toe of the blade though....never had it happen to the shaft.  I would just get it exchanged and not worry about it anymore.  CCM is great in terms of replacing defective equipment.  I've always have had no hassles with them when replacing items under warranty.

10 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I could be totally wrong but whenever I heard a "crackle" sound with a CCM stick, it's usually the outer carbon fiber layer seperating.  Happens usually on the toe of the blade though....never had it happen to the shaft.  I would just get it exchanged and not worry about it anymore.  CCM is great in terms of replacing defective equipment.  I've always have had no hassles with them when replacing items under warranty.

I really would but it’s the last stick with my specs in my area. This isn’t a crackle at all. It’s definitely like a ticking or clicking sound. that’s another reason why I’m not certain if it’s a crack because it doesn’t continue or get louder if I flex any further.

5 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

That's the hammer cocking so that the trigger works.

Mark

Wow that was actually a really good one. Thanks for putting an even bigger smile on me!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

The crunching noise from a dead blade is diff than the crackling or ticking sound of the shaft. 

Just now, Sniper9 said:

The crunching noise from a dead blade is diff than the crackling or ticking sound of the shaft. 

Do you think it is still something I should return it about? Or do you think it’ll be fine? Even if it turns out not to be I still have the warranty

14 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

Do you think it is still something I should return it about? Or do you think it’ll be fine? Even if it turns out not to be I still have the warranty

Record and share a video of the sound. 

2 minutes ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Upload the video to a sharing site, like YouTube, and share the link. 

How would I share a photo? I used some prior knowledge and talked to my coach about the sound. It got quieter since yesterday and every once and awhile there’s a tick on the return so it’s probably just glue. Although it looks like there may be a small crack which I just have a picture of. I can’t tell if it’s the graphic. There isn’t any light shining to the inside of the shaft though.

Edited by JAY4114

Just now, dkmiller3356 said:

if you are worried exchange it..  why take the risk with that kind of$$

There aren’t anymore of my specs anywhere in my area and I don’t wanna order online in case I have to take it in for warranty. I might try online to see what they say. Anyone know if you try to warranty it once if Ccm will void it if you try again at a later date?

2 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

There aren’t anymore of my specs anywhere in my area and I don’t wanna order online in case I have to take it in for warranty. I might try online to see what they say. Anyone know if you try to warranty it once if Ccm will void it if you try again at a later date?

Just contact CCM's customer service.  Unless it's an older gen or pro stock, they should be able to exchange the stick for the exact same stick under warranty.  They'll pay for shipping both ways if they approve the exchange, and depending on where you are, it can take as little as 2-3 days to get a replacement once they receive the defective item.  In my few instances exchanging defective items direct with CCM, they have been nothing but great to work with.  No hassles.  They even threw in a free hat once...lol.  If you just exchange it, you won't have anything to worry about.

9 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Just contact CCM's customer service.  Unless it's an older gen or pro stock, they should be able to exchange the stick for the exact same stick under warranty.  They'll pay for shipping both ways if they approve the exchange, and depending on where you are, it can take as little as 2-3 days to get a replacement once they receive the defective item.  In my few instances exchanging defective items direct with CCM, they have been nothing but great to work with.  No hassles.  They even threw in a free hat once...lol.  If you just exchange it, you won't have anything to worry about.

Ok I’ll for sure ask them about it. Hopefully they’ve gotten a few more in bc ive already asked about buy direct

Exchange if questionable. I'm new to carbon layup for sticks but the knowledge I've read the last decade on carbon fiber layup for bicycling frames, the sound could be from weather they removed the inner liner (paper or other material) from when pressurization in the mold. If left it might make a sound every time it is flexed. Have experienced once before, but really, I have no clue. 

In two yrs of playing I have only two instances, (on one= carbon fiber separated on the heal... True A4.5. The other was a first time use at a stick and puck... STX RX3 cracked at the shaft to blade transition, replaced under warranty) At some point I look forward to actually breaking a stick.... I have a dozen+ sticks and am always looking to pick up another one. lol   🙂

13 hours ago, BTSyndrome said:

Exchange if questionable. I'm new to carbon layup for sticks but the knowledge I've read the last decade on carbon fiber layup for bicycling frames, the sound could be from weather they removed the inner liner (paper or other material) from when pressurization in the mold. If left it might make a sound every time it is flexed. Have experienced once before, but really, I have no clue. 

In two yrs of playing I have only two instances, (on one= carbon fiber separated on the heal... True A4.5. The other was a first time use at a stick and puck... STX RX3 cracked at the shaft to blade transition, replaced under warranty) At some point I look forward to actually breaking a stick.... I have a dozen+ sticks and am always looking to pick up another one. lol   🙂

This “crack” is located on the upper 1/3rd of the shaft and is vertical. I can’t feel it through the overcoat besides right in the middle. I’m not sure if it’s just a dent in the carbon but I can see a line running through the weave. When I shine a light on it it looks yellow. What does the paper lining do? Does it make it break easier? I’m not worried about the sound if it’s not a death cry

Edited by JAY4114

14 hours ago, JAY4114 said:

This “crack” is located on the upper 1/3rd of the shaft and is vertical. I can’t feel it through the overcoat besides right in the middle. I’m not sure if it’s just a dent in the carbon but I can see a line running through the weave. When I shine a light on it it looks yellow. What does the paper lining do? Does it make it break easier? I’m not worried about the sound if it’s not a death cry

It sounds like you won't be satisfied until you get a new stick. So just warranty it for peace of mind. If it's the same continuous tick noise it's likely fine. If it's more of a crack or crunch noise like a branch of a tree cracking then it's likely going to snap. From my experience when a stick makes noise and ultimately breaks it would do it suddenly and the cracking wild sounds like it's spreading or just explode. If it's making the same sound each time and doesn't sound like it's spreading it's probably fine. 

But like I said. Seems like you're losing sleep over this so just warranty it. 

19 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

It sounds like you won't be satisfied until you get a new stick. So just warranty it for peace of mind. If it's the same continuous tick noise it's likely fine. If it's more of a crack or crunch noise like a branch of a tree cracking then it's likely going to snap. From my experience when a stick makes noise and ultimately breaks it would do it suddenly and the cracking wild sounds like it's spreading or just explode. If it's making the same sound each time and doesn't sound like it's spreading it's probably fine. 

Agree with this as well. Just warranty it. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

19 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Took it back to the store and they replaced it without going through the warranty by shipping one in. They said the marking could be a crack but it wasn’t big enough yet so they could continue to sell it. I decided to take a few extra paint chips and a fresh warranty instead. New twig has no sounds and I got 2 assists and some dangles in the first game with it.

Edited by JAY4114
  • Like 1