Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
VegasHockey

Most popular goalie curve patterns?

3 hours ago, BenBreeg said:

Funny I’ve been playing all my life and never thought there was such a thing.  I figured they were straight or just a simple left/right curve.

For example, TRUE has 3 different models at retail and I think 5 in total, if you include booking options.

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/collections/true-hockey-goalie-sticks

Trying to understand whats popular and whats not. 

Edited by SkateWorksPNW

Keep in mind that Bauer only has one curve option at retail on its composite sticks, P31 mid curve.

CCM only offers two, both heel curves.

Honestly, I don't know how many goalies shop for a curve.  There isn't too much variation with them.  I think with goalie sticks people are shopping a price point and paddle length and taking whatever curve it is.  Goalies that are good enough puck handlers that they shop for a curve based on that are so rare that stocking inventory for them doesn't make sense.

That all being said, I have to go pro stock and get Bauer P34s because they have a lower lie, and I prefer the paddle shape of the Bauer Supreme sticks.

• Like 1

As a goalie I can tell you that curve is of tremendous importance to me.  I'd rather use a heavier stick in the right pattern than a pro level stick in a pattern I hate.

Bauer only offers P31 at retail because it represented 7 out of 10 sales for them.   Comparable patterns from the other guys are P4 from CCM (formerly known as the Crawford pattern) and the TWT from Warrior (formerly Bishop).   These are the primary patterns I've used for over a decade now and while there are variations among them that make switching back and forth a less than seamless process, they're all pretty good all around patterns for tips to the glass, controlled passes and long bombs to the far blue line.

The other two really similar options are the P1 (Price) from CCM and the WDG (Mrazek/Howard) from Warrior.  These are a little better at launching the puck high on clearing attempts, but I struggle with accuracy on them.   Bauer used to offer the P34, which was similar but at a different lie than these 2.  It reminded me of older Eddie Belfour Christian sticks.

Finally, Warrior offers the MID (Quick) pattern.  This is the pattern for goalies who don't want to stick handle often but do want lots of coverage on the ice and control tipping pucks to/over the glass.