Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
rh71el2

Skating & lace tying question

I was wondering if anyone has ever compared skating with and without the top eyelet on their skates done up.  I've been skating for almost 15 years, but in the last 3+ years, I've left off the top eyelet when tying my skates.  Instantly I felt so much more freedom to do agile turns, lower forward lean (deeper knee bend?), and everything associated with it.  I've even got my kids (starting Bantam) doing it and they like it too.  But my question is whether or not this has a negative effect on anything else like generating speed from a full stride.  Some players like it tied super tight all the way up and I always thought it was personal preference, but I'm genuinely curious if I'm hampering myself now as far as pushes coming out of turns or straight-line speed.  Skating/speed is such a technical thing so every little detail seems to affect something.  Thoughts?

I used to crank my laces tight because of having a low volume foot and very thin ankles to get the boot to wrap to my liking. With my last few skates, the correct baking and compression during the process made a considerable difference.  I barely pull on the laces and don't have to lace them tight at all, and the level of agility noticeably increased. Proper forming of the boot makes a substantial difference.