Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
ultraman7k

The problem of bloody toes

I currently own a pair of CCM AS1s which I've had for a couple years now, but one thing I can't seem to get over is how often I get bloody toes due to impact in the toebox. This has usually come from getting pushed into the boards, or from some other impact to the toe box. I've never once had this problem with Bauers, but this seems to be a constant problem with these AS1s? And yes, I keep my toe nails trim, and the skates were sized properly lol! 😄

I'm skating on Superfeet (yellow) and using the powerfoot inserts. 

I honestly like the skates, but if the bloody toes persist, I may have to whip out my old Bauers again. Does anyone have any suggestions or fixes to this issue?

Edited by ultraman7k

yeah, jammed my big toe against the toe cap a few times, so it's the big toes that are taking the brunt of the damage. Have had black toes for the last year or so now. 

I don't think the AS1s lack any heel lock...might look into those toe protectors.

If your toes are jamming and it's not a length issue (when laced up are your toes touching the toe cap?) then it could be a volume issue. You lace up yet your foot can still slide forward when you hit the boards. If this is the case you might want to try sliding a piece of felt or another tongue under your existing one and seeing if that takes up any negative space.

For myself, I found the AS1's to be around 2mm shorter than Bauers for length ie I had to go up 1/2 a size to get a similar fit for length.

21 hours ago, Vet88 said:

If your toes are jamming and it's not a length issue (when laced up are your toes touching the toe cap?) then it could be a volume issue. You lace up yet your foot can still slide forward when you hit the boards. If this is the case you might want to try sliding a piece of felt or another tongue under your existing one and seeing if that takes up any negative space.

For myself, I found the AS1's to be around 2mm shorter than Bauers for length ie I had to go up 1/2 a size to get a similar fit for length.

Good to know, I'll give that a shot.