Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Malarowski

True (bolt) runners dead, what to switch to?

My Gen1 True runners (with bolt) are shot and need replacement, but seems they are almost impossible to find at this point. Unfortunate since I have two sets of steel for it. However, if I were to switch, what would be the ideal holder to switch to? Looking mostly for longevity and weight as I would like to avoid having to switch to yet another technology down the line. There are so many holders out there though that it's tough to pick one. 

True Shift is the "obvious" choice, but I believe they are pretty heavy. Is Bauer holding on to the Edge holder/blades for a while or is something newer out that should be produced over the next 4/5 years without issue?

I've been using XS for the past almost 3 years and love them.  Had Edge holders before and had to repair the trigger twice even though I rarely used it, also I'm on Step which isn't produced for Edge anymore so that's always a plus.  So my vote would be to look at XS.

• Like 1

If you already have additional steel I would look for a set of the old True holders. What size do you need? I see them pop up on SLS often, usually dirt cheap.  If you switch to new True Shift holders you'll also have to drill new holes in the skates as the patterns are different.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

If you already have additional steel I would look for a set of the old True holders. What size do you need? I see them pop up on SLS often, usually dirt cheap.  If you switch to new True Shift holders you'll also have to drill new holes in the skates as the patterns are different.  

263 and good call about SLS, didn't occur to me to check there, at all. Now to find a pair that doesn't have the same fault as mine. Had issues with the bolt-hole compressing and wearing out and one pair on SLS seems to have the same fold going already. Either way, that should be the cheapest path forward!

37 minutes ago, xstartxtodayx said:

I've been using XS for the past almost 3 years and love them.  Had Edge holders before and had to repair the trigger twice even though I rarely used it, also I'm on Step which isn't produced for Edge anymore so that's always a plus.  So my vote would be to look at XS.

Oh that's a super neat system. Thanks for the suggestion! I think if I end up switching, this is the front runner. I am also not hearing good things about Bauer's trigger, so that confirmed that.

The true shift actually should be your last option since you'd need to drill new holes for them. Id go with the ccm xs, or even the older sb 4.0. Both will pretty much lineup with the existing holes. I'm a huge fan of the tuuk ls2 holders but they are rare now and steel is rare too (although you can find some on sls still). Only issue is you'd have to drill a hole in your boot for steel changing. 

Edited by Sniper9