Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Bane

Bauer scan help

I've been wearing Bauer Vapor 2x pro for the past 5 years, and the liner is torn in one boot, so it's time to replace them. When I had my foot scanned back then, it told me I should wear a Vapor, 7.5 D. This time I had a scan at Monkey sports and  was told 7.5 Fit 2, at Pure Hockey the scan said 7.5 fit 1. The guy at Pure said I'm fit 1 in everything but toe box, where I am pretty much between fit 1 and fit 2. I tried both a fit 1 and a fit 2, the fit 2 seemed to be loose everywhere but the toe box. The fit 1 seemed like a good fit everywhere but just behind the toe box, where it was a little tight around my little toe.

Thoughts on which way I should go? Is the Fit 1 the closest fit to the pre fit system Vapor?  

Edit: I should also mention I use superfeet hockey insoles.

Thanks

Edited by Bane

My advice is to always go with the highest fitting skate that you are comfortable with.  Skates are always going to their smallest out of the box and will get a little bigger after a bake and with time.  You can always  take a skate that is a little small and make it bigger but cannot take a skate that is big and make it smaller.  The Bauer scan is a good starting point but not absolute when it comes to fitting.  Sometimes the scanner will make compromises between width and volume.  For example someone with narrow feet (FIT 1) but with high volume (Fit 3) and recommend a Fit 2.  You really need to have someone with experience in fitting and being able to interpret the scan.  

Maybe also try some Supremes or CCM's while you're at it?  The scan is a good starting point but I wouldn't base my decision on what it says, I'd still try on as many as I could and see what actually fits and feels best to me.

Just got new skates in July. First the scan recommend a size 5 fit 3. My old skates were S190s, size 4.5EE. The brannock said I was a size 4.5EE. I tried on a ton of skates, the skates I walked out with were Mach 5 Pros, size 4.5 fit 3. At first blush they were extremely tight, and they were almost in the no pile because of that. But as, I tried on skates over and over, the foams in the skate warmed up the Mach 5s went from nope to yes.

Ideally, this should be the end of the story, but fast forward 2 months. Everything was great for a bit, but then, I start to realize the skates are feeling off. I'm having to pull the laces tighter than I like to get the skate to feel right. The skate I realize maybe too big. Skates are out of the skate fit warranty window, but I bite the bullet and go back to the shop and go through the song and dance again. I walk out with a size 4. Again, at first blush, skates feel like they're too small. At about 2 months in to these new-new skates, they feel right length-wise, but there's a little movement in the heel, making me thing maybe I fit 2 might have been better. But I got a stash of Stable 26 socks, so it's a non-issue.

But if I could do it over again, knowing what I know now, I would have just went straight to customs. Would have saved me from wasting money on a pair of skates that didn't fit properly.

From this experience, it seems like the foam liner in some of the newer skates are super fluffly and can throw off the assessment of how much room there really is in the skate. Even after the bake, the feel wasn't accurate, in my estimation. 

As a side note to this, I found out Sport Chek had their True skates on deep discount a few weeks ago. They had their TF7s on clearance for $100, so I went in and tried on a pair of size 4s. The length was perfect. The base of the toes was a little tight, but otherwise it was a good fit.

So IMHO, it's probably safer to go with the smaller fit.

Edited by puckpilot

31 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

But if I could do it over again, knowing what I know now, I would have just went straight to customs. Would have saved me from wasting money on a pair of skates that didn't fit properly.

Even when going customs you really out to narrow down the fit using retail stock.  My barefoot scan (which Bauer wants for custom) puts me in a retail 7 Fit 3 with custom calling for 7.25 and 6.75 for my feet.  I've had 2 pairs of My Bauer's made and both are a full size down.

Bottom line is everyone is different and it comes down to how they want their skates to fit.  I have some many that wind up going with the recommended and some that go down in size.