Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ash_96

Tshirt body armour

Yeah, i Play Roller hockey indoors with a ball and full contact, but ive noticed there are hardly any players who play this in the USA and Canada, you guys mostly play non contact and with a puck. i was just wondering if any of you guys have tried it and why you dont like it! Thanks

Ash

The original Olympic Roller hockey was played on quads, with a round stick, much like a field hockey stick, and a hard ball like a cricket ball. The game of "inline hockey" started as a derivative of this but with slightly different rules...was non contact, and used a ball and a round plastic stick in it's earliest incarnation at the youth levels.

In the early days Inline was mostly ball hockey (mid eighties to mid nineties) here in the US, but from the early nineties people started playing it with a puck. The RHI league..a full contact pro league made the use of the puck much more popular over here, and the majority of players gravitated to playing puck hockey...Even new facilities were developed with better floors and more protection for by-standers from flying pucks...These were basically like ice hockey facilities but with a dedicated "sport floor" that would allow wheels to grip, and the puck to slide.

Since the end of the RHI (1999) and "Pro beach" (this was really just an extended tournament which was aired on television over a longer time period) there have been a couple of semi pro leagues ...the MLRH(was actually a "Pro" league for one year) and this last year a league called XIHL which are full contact men's AAA inline hockey. I am sure there are probably some other Junior A and men's elite leagues which are also full contact, but the official rules of the game call for "non-contact", so most of the US Inline Hockey is non contact.

From an entertainment point of view I prefer to watch the full contact version myself.

But you've gotta admit, even the men's house leagues get a little rough at times :) I know I throw my weight around a bit when the refs aren't looking ;)

hey ive played puck, non contact before, but i find the puck has too much friction on the floor compared too a ball! and also if i go from puck roller hockey to ice i get killed because of the lack of contact in roller puck. i play with a ball the size of a tennis ball but hard and about the weight of a roller puck. if any of you teams are coming to england and fancy a game or puck hockey and ball hockey just let me know! hopefully my team will be going to NARCh either this year or next year. and i think we are entering the cologne cup in Germany in june too.

Justin,

was that the Winters where Thompson immortalized himself with that OT goal and then bought pictures for everyone he knew and paid NARCh to use the photo on the front page for what seemed like months on end?

just curious :lol:

Gus, good to see you out here

coming next summer to the roller hockey world, and replacing State Wars as the #1 Force...Sponsor Wars!!!

Justin,

was that the Winters where Thompson immortalized himself with that OT goal and then bought pictures for everyone he knew and paid NARCh to use the photo on the front page for what seemed like months on end?

just curious :lol:

Gus, good to see you out here

coming next summer to the roller hockey world, and replacing State Wars as the #1 Force...Sponsor Wars!!!

That was the year....How did we not score of Petey still blows me away....

He may not be the most beautiful goalie to watch at times, but there are times the puck just finds Pete, maybe its all those years of being stuck on the Cyclones in PRO where the sun shone on him just a little more that day..not that it matters since Rob Laurie owns the sun in PRO..

Pete tended goal for us in a game against some NHL and Russian '80 players..and I think he stopped something like 55 shots including an 85+ slapper right off the dome..ti was pretty surprising..and he kept us in the game til the last couple minutes, or at least gave those guys a better skate than they anticipated...i think 3 of them may have broken a sweat :D

I always think of Glenn Healy when I see him wearing the old SK..but hey..the last time I played against McManus @ NARCh, he had on the same thing..must be a Long Island thing...

I tried the Mission Thorax on today. It seems to have a little more protection than the Hyper model (specifically in the upper back). The one thing about it that bothered me is the material seems a bit more "heavy" to me than the Hyper and Tour models. I get hot out there really quick, so I was expecting something like Under Armour with padding.

Has anyone bought the Thorax yet? Let us know what you think.........