Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

13ToPsHeLf13

Chris Bourque

I hate to say it, because I'm a huge Ray Bourque fan, but I have to wonder about Chris......

Bourque to join Wildcats in 2006

TSN.ca Staff

4/4/2005

Chris Bourque, the son of NHL defenseman Ray Bourque, is leaving Boston University to concentrate on his hockey career in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Bourque, the MVP of the recent Beanpot tournament, was the second highest scoring freshman on the BU squad this season. He was also a unanimous pick for the Hockey East All-Rookie Team. But the 19 year old says staying in school was not a high priority for him at this point.

"College was a good time, but it wasn't for me," he tells the Boston Globe. "I wasn't a big fan of going to school and going to class. It's not the place for me."

"I didn't think it was going to be as hard or as serious as it was."

(boo-hoo, suck it up, kid)

Bourque, a second round pick of the Washington Capitals in 2004, will play for the Moncton Wildcats next season. Bourque says he's looking forward to the high flying offensive style of the Quebec league.

"There's a little more point production in the Q," said Bourque, who admits he's never seen a QMJHL game. "It's more offensive-minded and that's more my style."

(so.... he's basing his dropping out of college (because it's too hard and too serious) to go to the QMJHL based off of word of mouth?)

Look at the bright side, at least he isn't going to waste a scholarship. Now it can go to someone who wants to be in school.

Good news, I'll get to see him play next year, and If my finances permit me, I might go see the Memorial Cup tourney cause I'll be studying in Moncton.

I can't say I understand it. Great hockey developement and a great education, which is essential to fall back on. And he ditches it.

Seems like a foolish move.

He obviously assumes he's going to make the NHL. Even if he doesn't he'll probably live off of dad's money or go back to school after he tries the pro game. He's in a different situation than most of us.

Chadd, good point on the scholarship.

As for his education - I agree - totally important. However, he can always go back once hockey is over, so from that standpoint, I'm OK with it. He can earn more in his physically productive years likely by going to Pro Juniors for a while then hoping to make the leap.

However, what I thought was sort of immature was his saying that school was too hard, and was not where he was at right now (tough, kid, suck it up). Also, how good of a fit the Q would be, when he's never even seen a game! Sure, I bet his Dad gave him some advice, but this doesn't seem well/analytically thought out to me.

he will still have to go to school in moncton more then likey.

He won't have to go to school. He already has his high school diploma so any education would be totally up to him. My personal opinion is that he is still being somewhat overrated because of his name. Yes, he is pretty good but I think he's being put into spots, ie. top pp at BU, because of his name. We'll see when he makes the jump to the pros. Expectation here is that he will spend a season or two in the "A" at the least.

My personal opinion is that he is still being somewhat overrated because of his name. Yes, he is pretty good but...

I haven't seen him play, but his attitude doesn't make me think you're wrong.

Of course, when I was his age, I know I was chitte for brains. If you had the option of blowing off boring college and starting a pro career with lots of money and parties, what would you pick?

To be fair, Chippa, the limited success BU had on the PP was due to Bourque. No one else on the team (except MAYBE miller) was at all good offensively from the blueline last year and no one on the team had bourque's release or vision from back there.

To be more fair, look at the fact that he only scored 4 even strength goals through the whole season, or worse yet, only 1 even strength goal in conference play. That doesn't impress me too much.

Have you seen BU's roster, not exactly loaded with scoring talent. Bourques numbers where that of the top offensive player for a team that lacked scoring punch. Its real easy to take a player out of a game if he is the only one producing, and yes they had a few others that played well, but still couldnt put the puck in the net. Lets not forget that his numbers where a little down due to the WJHC and the injured knee he suffered in that tourny.

Have you seen BU's roster, not exactly loaded with scoring talent. Bourques numbers where that of the top offensive player for a team that lacked scoring punch. Its real easy to take a player out of a game if he is the only one producing, and yes they had a few others that played well, but still couldnt put the puck in the net. Lets not forget that his numbers where a little down due to the WJHC and the injured knee he suffered in that tourny.

23 conference games played, 1 even strength goal. And he played on the second line most of the season so he wouldn't have seen the top defensive guys.

He probably made the decision earlier, but didn't want to ditch the hockey team in the middle of the season, as well as loose a seaon for himself. Think about both sides of the story. He'll do well in Moncton, he'll have to adapt his game a bit however the Q. is know for lackluster defence and high scoring so....

By the way I don't think he'll be playing for Moncton this year, he doesn't have a contract or annything, nor would they change things in the middle of a playoff run.

I think the best part of the whole situation is that Bourque admitted, in the boston herald I believe, that he has never actually watched a game in the QMJHL, kinda risky taking a life changing risk on word of mouth, don't you think?

I think the best part of the whole situation is that Bourque admitted, in the boston herald I believe, that he has never actually watched a game in the QMJHL, kinda risky taking a life changing risk on word of mouth, don't you think?

The other option would be not being able to play b/c he'd be on academic probation. Name or not, eventually if his grades are low enough, the NCAA/BU would have to do something.