Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accord

Top 5 things to make you stand out at tryout's

1.      Be respectful.  This means getting to the tryout on time, being circumspect in the locker room, having your gear in good order, paying attention when the coach speaks including eye contact, and doing what is asked of you.

2.      Play within yourself.  That means do the things you can do well instead of trying to do things you cannot do and failing at it.  If you cannot dangle, don't try it.  If you don't have a good slap shot, shoot your best wrist shot.  Going to the tryouts in good physical condition would also be important. Puking on the ice because you are out of shape will catch the coach's attention but not the attention you need.

3.      Demonstrate that you have a great work ethic.  That means doing each and every drill to the best of your ability.  Don't wait until the scrimmage to show what you can do.  When you do a drill, there's a 99% chance he'll be watching.  During the scrimmage he'll be watching 10 kids and you only have a 1 in 10 chance to be noticed.

4.      Don't try out for a team for which you know you are not qualified.  Go for a team that will appreciate your abilities and what you can bring to the team.

5.      If you get cut, respectfully go to the coach privately.  Tell him you understand he needed to make difficult choices, you are sorry you didn't make his team but you respect his judgment.  Then.... here's the important part.  Ask him what you need to do to make the team the next time.  And this is more important.... work on that.

http://www.betterhockey.com/level.itml/icOid/1475

A couple things I would also add (Mostly for Jr. tryouts)

Stand up for your skilled guys, smaller guys and goalies on your tryout squad. Fighting someone who goes headhunting one of your guys will score you huge points with coaches even if you don't "win" the fight.

Don't ever back down from a fight unless the person is truly not worth it... ex, your 6'2 and 19 years old and some 15 year old whos 5'2 starts trying to provoke you, you gain nothing in that situation. But on the other hand if a big old guy drops his gear in front of you, you'd be in a good position to at least give it a shot and show the coaching staff that your fearless even if that means that your a bit stupid. That being said make sure to pick your spots and your timing.

Make sure that the coaching staff knows that you are physically ready to endure whatever that specific leauge has to offer.

Keep a cool head. Losing it and going crazy-go-nuts only makes you out to be a liability no matter how many asses you kick in the process.

Make sure you come off of the ice having left everything on the ice.

biggest things are play physical and hit everyone, no matter how much bigger they are compared to you. finish plays and capitalize on every scoring chance...don't wanna be a choke out there. and be first up to do all drills...show that you wanna be there

If there is a throng of players, once or twice get ahold of the puck and hold onto it for 10 seconds. All eyes will be on you for that period. But don't go the otherway and hog the puck, skate it up, and miss the net everytime when there is a guy wide open waiting for the pass.

Also, as Herb Brooks is often quoted: "play your game". Tryouts is not the time to try some new moves, or change your style of play. Play the way you did all season long, but try to do it as well as you can. If you are a stay at home defenseman, do not try to go crashing the net. If you are fast but not physical player, don't use the tryout to learn how to check, if you are a big physical loving player make sure to check someone right off the bat, etc.

1.      Be respectful.  This means getting to the tryout on time, being circumspect in the locker room, having your gear in good order, paying attention when the coach speaks including eye contact, and doing what is asked of you.

Funny, when I went to AAA tryouts this year, my coach came in and asked for a dip. Not my fault he's the biggest prick ever :angry: .

Also, as Biff said, show what you can do, if you are in a situation where you can make a guys jock strap go up in the stands do it. They aren't going to pick you for that team on what you know you can do.

Don't ever back down from a fight unless the person is truly not worth it... ex, your 6'2 and 19 years old and some 15 year old whos 5'2 starts trying to provoke you, you gain nothing in that situation. But on the other hand if a big old guy drops his gear in front of you, you'd be in a good position to at least give it a shot and show the coaching staff that your fearless even if that means that your a bit stupid. That being said make sure to pick your spots and your timing.

I disagree, you have to pick your spots when you want to go. Do not go with the resident tough guy unless you can handle him or at least keep pace. Being Embarassed in a fight can be as bad as being embarassed on the ice. It is a tricky situation, and not fighting can hurt your chances with certain teams, but being embarassed is never a good alternative.

If you're in a big tryout, get yourself some attention. If you have the chance at the start of tryouts (in drills) hammer a puck to the post, the PING will get everyone in the Arenas attention. Then they will be watching for you.

I find that if you demonstrate something specatular that stands out every shift (make a good pass, scored a nice goal, made a nice hit..etc.)The scout/ coach will eventually notice your talents.

If during the tryouts and drills are going on, I know this sounds kinda bad, but go as many times as you can, cut people, jump up in the line whatever.

You may make some enemies but you need to showcase yourself and you can't really worry about the other guys feelings, b/c I gaurantee hes not worried about yours.

If its a flow drill and people are milling around out of breath, jump right to the front and go again. The coaches will be watching and keep seeing you over and over. Its all about exposure.

Don't ever back down from a fight unless the person is truly not worth it... ex, your 6'2 and 19 years old and some 15 year old whos 5'2 starts trying to provoke you, you gain nothing in that situation.  But on the other hand if a big old guy drops his gear in front of you, you'd be in a good position to at least give it a shot and show the coaching staff that your fearless even if that means that your a bit stupid.  That being said make sure to pick your spots and your timing.

I disagree, you have to pick your spots when you want to go. Do not go with the resident tough guy unless you can handle him or at least keep pace. Being Embarassed in a fight can be as bad as being embarassed on the ice. It is a tricky situation, and not fighting can hurt your chances with certain teams, but being embarassed is never a good alternative.

If you're in a big tryout, get yourself some attention. If you have the chance at the start of tryouts (in drills) hammer a puck to the post, the PING will get everyone in the Arenas attention. Then they will be watching for you.

I do agree it's extremely tricky, but having been in that situation before I can say that if a noted tough guy drops his stuff in front of you I'd say your almost always better off going. It's only embarrassing if your cocky going into it and coming out... (and I guess getting hauled off by AMR wouldn't score ya any pts either).

First scrap I ever got into I lost to a very sizeable fellow and although I lost I had the coach come up to the penalty box and tell me "Although you didn't win, you showed heart by going. Half of winning is being willing to go. And now you got the toughest guy off the ice for a good amount of time." Still didn't make the team though. So take it for what it's worth

See I've been in similar situations and had it go both ways. I chose not to go both times, once I was asked back, the other I was cut. I've seen guys cut because they got dummied in a few fights because it can hurt the momentum of a team, but others like it. Guess it decides on the coach and its best to have an idea of what they are looking for. I believe its a good Idea if you say no to a guy who will kick your ass, go someone who is on your level later on to make up for it.

But my only objection to going with someone of your level or even below is that I don't think you really prove anything... Totally depends on the coach though I do agree.

In the first on ice session try to win every drill. Hustle your ass. I remember when I made the Midget AAA team. nobody beat me to the puck, and nobody outskated me in the skating drills. They noticed.

As for the scrimmage itself, just play like its your last session.

You either have talent or you don't, and if you dont you shouldnt be there. But you can always have heart. Show both.

But my only objection to going with someone of your level or even below is that I don't think you really prove anything... Totally depends on the coach though I do agree.

Like I said, unless your going out to be a fighter, you won't be expected to fight the biggest guys all the time. They just want to know you can handle yourself and not back down.

Is fighting actually a part of a tryout?

I'm heading to my first tryout for an inline team two weeks from tomorrow, and I'm glad you started this thread.

What should I do to show the coaches I should be on the team?

What do the coaches look for, specifically in an inline player?

Any and all info is helpful.

Is fighting actually a part of a tryout?

I'm heading to my first tryout for an inline team two weeks from tomorrow, and I'm glad you started this thread.

What should I do to show the coaches I should be on the team?

What do the coaches look for, specifically in an inline player?

Any and all info is helpful.

I would say they look for speed and vision.

Wear a yellow helmet or something that stands out. our travel club is yellow and blue and every time one of our players goes to a junior showcase, the ones wearing the yellow helmets get a lot of looks. They are easy to pick out and in a tryout you need to stand out and give them something to remember you by

I just went to the "Freshmen Round"(1st of 3) for varsity highschool tryouts last night and the coach said the things he was looking for were/are:

-Hustle and pushing yourself to the max every drill. He said that he can help players that make mistakes and fix their problem but he can't do anything to help players that give no effort

-Physical play. No matter what your size you need to show the coach that your not afraid of getting hit.

-No cussing. this is especially important at the highschool level because of the crowd that you draw also includes school authoritys and its a big no-no to yell every choice word you can think of when you miss a shot.

All I can offer is do your stuff. I'm a grade nine and I go to a school with a ton of people. There were 60+ people there at 6:00 in the morning at the first tryout. I was just doing my stuff going hard and the coach noticed. He came up and asked me my name on the ice. It was then I got confidence in myself, I was intimidated at first because there were guys 5 years older than me. To make a long story short, I was on the starting line by the end of the year. Mainly because I had the the best chemistry with the two best scorers. But I popped some in myself too. :D Just remember you don't have to try to show up the best players if you can't, but look for some of the weaker players from the year before and show the coach how much better you are than them.