Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Krutch

Nipple Grip vs. Clear

Just wondering if there really is a difference between the two Warrior grip types. The nipple grip is $10 more so there must be something "better" about it. Thoughts on which one is better in YOUR opinion and why.

The nipple grip is pretty stupid, IMO. It's got a soft grip and a "zone" of nippling that doesn't improve grip much over the soft coat.

I've used my stick twice and the soft grip is starting to peel, too.

interesting...I have both a clear and grip dolomite and I personally find that the grip makes a huge difference. I have Nike Bauer 4 rolls and I find that I can't use non-grip sticks with them. The guy at my LHS told me the same thing and he also uses the grip dolos...

I mean, you should still at least try both sticks out at your LHS with whatever model gloves you have

I've used both. I agree with the people that say the Nipple grip doesn't have that much grip, but it is definetly noticeable. I was using a Mission VHEX grip (and thats a very grippy stick) and I found that I couldn't use a clear or non grip stick afterwards.I had to candy cane my SL (non-grip) but I could use the Dolo Nip Grip. Just to show you the comparison from my experience.

Yeah, the Nipple grip is a good middle ground in terms of tackiness. You can still move your hands on it, but they won't slip if you don't want them to.

In terms of sticky;

Clear < TPS control (which sucked, IMO) < Warrior soft/nipple < Easton grip (too tacky)

Those are the finishes I've had experience with. I'm still a tactile w/out soft fan though.

Edit- for the record, I was saying the textured "nipples" (nippling is manufacturing finish) don't add much grip, they serve to raise the contact for the soft grip to stick better. A good idea to help improve grip without adding tackiness, but I think the zone is way too small. My bottom hand is on the bottom of the zone, and if I let it drop further down while the stick is at my waist the feel changes as I slide up the shaft.

The nipple grip is way better than some of the other grips that Warrior has used. Ive had that and the "crushed velvet" grip on AK27/Dolo shafts. Neither grip was too tacky or unpleasant to use, but the "crushed velvet" started to come off within just a few uses. I generally prefer a clear finish, but don't mind grip sticks. IMO, the nipple grip is not as tacky as some of the other stuff that's out there. I don't think it would be likely to interfere with your stickhandling unless you can't stand any kind of grip.

When I bought my Dolo Dragon, I preferred the clear to the Nipple grip and bought the clear.

I have a Vapor X:40 in grip though and I love it. It was more of a different shaft feel with the two sticks although the grip was similar. The grip just didn't feel right to me with the Dolo shaft.

I've got to throw in support for the nipple grip. It's more of a slightly roughed up texture rather than a rubbed-off adhesive feel. The stick doesn't feel like it's stuck to your glove; you just have a better hold on it.

The nipple grip is pretty good. It's not crazy sticky, but just sticky enough that you know it's there. It's very comparable to the original gold Synergy grips, maroon Si Core grips etc...

I can't use a warrior stick that isn't the "nipple grip" version. Something about the feel of it makes my stickhandling/passing/shooting feel that much more comfortable and therefore better. It's the perfect amount of grip for me, doesn't get in the way of stickhandling at all.

I can't use a warrior stick that isn't the "nipple grip" version. Something about the feel of it makes my stickhandling/passing/shooting feel that much more comfortable and therefore better. It's the perfect amount of grip for me, doesn't get in the way of stickhandling at all.

I agree with this fellow. I can't use the stick'um style grips because they limit my stickhandling. Nipple grip is alright though, not too much and it's nice to have some grip.

Does a nipple grip mean we can forgoe taping the top of the shaft? And just tape teh very end?

That's a matter of personal preference. You could always try taping just the end and add more tape if needed. I always taped over the butt end area to make the Nipple grip shafts feel more consistent with everything else I had used.