Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alex3

Recommend a <$300 pair of skates!

Hello! I play offensive minded Defense in upper intermediate and I need a new pair of skates. After 3 years, I've finally realized that my skates are a size too big... :sad: They're a pair of Vapor 4.0 skates.

I went to my LHS to try on a pair of the new Vapor 600 skates and they fit well enough. However, the rep had me try CCM tacks 3052s and wow! What a difference! The CCM skates were much lighter, had better padding and protection for $70 cheaper. Unfortunately, neither skate felt 100% tight around my foot on the sides. They both felt fine up front with my big toe barely touching the front of the skate while standing straight. He suggested that that problem would be resolved once I got the skates baked and switched to wax laces. Would that help enough to make for a snug fit? I really want to get this purchase right this time.

Anyway, I was blown away by the difference between the Vapor skates and the 3052s. Are there other skates like the 3052s I should try on?

Thanks! Budget is under $300.

It would help to get a snugger fit, but you should always try on as many skates as possible and pick the one that feels best before baking. Baking can tighten things up and fix pressure points, but it can't really change the overall width of a skate.

Try on as many skates as you can. Vapors are pretty narrow and Tacks are rather wide, and there are other aspects of fit, like your instep height and arches that you need to figure out. Try on some Supremes and RBZs. Lots available for <300 now with many models on closeout.

The RBZs on closeout right now, are probably the best bang for the buck. The Bauer's will probably start to changeover in about two months.

Try on closeout skates and if one of those fit you well that's likely going to be the best bang for your buck. The Easton Mako and CCM RBZ skates that Optimus and Tech mentioned are two top of the line models that can be had for around $300 at some places now. The Reebok Ribcor line is also on clearance - I think the top of the line Ribcor is selling for around $400, but you may be able to find it for less and I've seen the Ribcor 30K for $300. Bauer models of previous generations like the Nexus 800/1000, Supreme One.8 ect. can also be found within your budget. Try on everything you can and walk around in some models that seem to be better candidates to check for hot spots and heel lift.

I picked up the Mako a few months ago after trying on several models of skates in store and at various events and am very happy with the choice, but each foot is different so you have to see what feels best yourself. I'd certainly recommend trying to find a store with Makos in your size so you can at least try them on (having them baked before making a final decision would be ideal, but not all stores will do this).

I went back to the store and tried everything on pretty much. Vapors had too much space in the middle and toe, supremes and ribcor crushed my ankles, tacks felt the best but too much dead space in the middle and toe. RBZ were also a bit too wide.

About to give up, I tried on the Makos they had for $599 and holy smokes. It fit like a glove! Apparently the M7 for $399 is coming out in a few weeks and they told me to hold out for that. Thanks for all the advice everyone. The makos were PERFECT.

The original makos are $399. Some reviews complain about poor durability. Is this still a factor? Should I wait for the M7s or go for the original top of the line?

The current model Makos they had for $599 were likely the Mako M8. They're second from the top of the line in the current lineup - the current top of the line Mako 2 skates are usually $799. The M8 skates have more fibre glass in them, making them slightly heavier and softer than the Mako 2, but they have the same fit profile and are supposed to be as responsive to heat. If I were to guess I'd say the M7s will be a bit heavier and softer than the M8.

If I were you I'd track down a pair of the original Makos (the ones will silver heels and more orange that were previously $899) in your size which can be had for between $270 and $400 as mentioned. If you're in Canada you can get them on HockeySupremacy for $270 if they have your size in stock. They're $299 there, but they have an extra 10% off code for all products in the liquidation section right now. The Mako will be lighter and stiffer than the M7s for less money. They will fit the same so if you know your size in the M8s you know your size in any Mako skate.

Here are the original Makos: http://hockeysupremacy.com/en/liquidation/skates/easton-mako-skates.html

This is the M8 you likely tried on: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EMAK8

This is the M7: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EMAK7

I would doubt that the durability on a third tier skate will be improved over the top tier model from the previous year. And if it is, I don't know that it will be enough to offset the increase in features of the top skate. I'd be looking for an original Mako rather than a third tier M7.

If durability is a concern maybe look into grafs. I've only gone through 2 pairs over 18 years of playing hockey. I got a pair of 703s now that I've had for 8 years of playing several times a week and they look great, they probably have a few years still left in them before I replace them.

The 703s seem like they might be a good fit for you as well, it's a low volume skate with a narrow heel. These things last forever, and once you break them in they are super comfortable. Not the lightest skate, but actually probably comparable to lower end vapors and tacks.

The current model Makos they had for $599 were likely the Mako M8. They're second from the top of the line in the current lineup - the current top of the line Mako 2 skates are usually $799. The M8 skates have more fibre glass in them, making them slightly heavier and softer than the Mako 2, but they have the same fit profile and are supposed to be as responsive to heat. If I were to guess I'd say the M7s will be a bit heavier and softer than the M8.

If I were you I'd track down a pair of the original Makos (the ones will silver heels and more orange that were previously $899) in your size which can be had for between $270 and $400 as mentioned. If you're in Canada you can get them on HockeySupremacy for $270 if they have your size in stock. They're $299 there, but they have an extra 10% off code for all products in the liquidation section right now. The Mako will be lighter and stiffer than the M7s for less money. They will fit the same so if you know your size in the M8s you know your size in any Mako skate.

Here are the original Makos: http://hockeysupremacy.com/en/liquidation/skates/easton-mako-skates.html

This is the M8 you likely tried on: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EMAK8

This is the M7: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EMAK7

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm in the USA so I'll shop around. I've found a new pair on Ebay for $365 shipped so I'll grab that if I don't find anything cheaper!

Hockeymonkey has them for $399 and occasionally has sales where they offer an additional 25% off clearance items (I've seen them in the past). During one of those sales they'd be $300 and shipping is free on anything over $150. That is of course if they have your size left in stock.

I'd try calling around to local shops to see if they have any original Makos left in your size and what the price is - if you can find them locally for $365 or less that'd be ideal, but even if you have to pay up to $400 it'd be worth it to pay the extra $35. If you buy them at the local shop they're covered by the warranty (90 days for the boot and 1 year for the holder and steel), plus the baking and first sharpening is included. If you buy them on ebay you have no warranty and would have to pay for the first sharpening and to have them baked at most shops.

I bought one pair at a local store on clearance for ice. I picked up a second barely used pair to convert to roller via kijij, but I only went the kijiji route on the second pair because the price was much lower than any store and I knew that the warranty would be void as soon as I had the skates converted anyway.

Ebay, Kijiji and Craigslist are only worth considering if they're significantly cheaper than any stores or if you can't find stock in your size through any authorized dealer. Buying through an authorized dealer should be your first choice - if you can find them locally that's even better as you won't have to worry about baking or the first sharpening.

Hockeymonkey has them for $399 and occasionally has sales where they offer an additional 25% off clearance items (I've seen them in the past). During one of those sales they'd be $300 and shipping is free on anything over $150. That is of course if they have your size left in stock.

I'd try calling around to local shops to see if they have any original Makos left in your size and what the price is - if you can find them locally for $365 or less that'd be ideal, but even if you have to pay up to $400 it'd be worth it to pay the extra $35. If you buy them at the local shop they're covered by the warranty (90 days for the boot and 1 year for the holder and steel), plus the baking and first sharpening is included. If you buy them on ebay you have no warranty and would have to pay for the first sharpening and to have them baked at most shops.

I bought one pair at a local store on clearance for ice. I picked up a second barely used pair to convert to roller via kijij, but I only went the kijiji route on the second pair because the price was much lower than any store and I knew that the warranty would be void as soon as I had the skates converted anyway.

Ebay, Kijiji and Craigslist are only worth considering if they're significantly cheaper than any stores or if you can't find stock in your size through any authorized dealer. Buying through an authorized dealer should be your first choice - if you can find them locally that's even better as you won't have to worry about baking or the first sharpening.

Thanks again for all the tips.

I've only got 3 local stores and none have the Makos. Hockeymonkey doesn't have my size (8.5D) and though I'm visiting Canada in a few weeks, hockey supremacy doesn't have 8.5D either!

The totalhockey near me bakes and sharpens for free so I'll take advantage of that if I order from ebay. Only other option would be to try a size down since hockeymonkey has 8D in stock.

If you're sure the 8.5D is the right size then it looks like the ebay option may in fact be the way to go unless you can find that size in stock somewhere (I see Hockeysupremacy, HM and Total are all out of that size). If there was a bit of room in the 8.5D or your toes were just barely grazing the cap then you might be able to squeeze into an 8D after baking and breaking them in. If your toes were firmly against the cap with the 8.5D I wouldn't go down to an 8D - only if they were barely touching the cap or just off it. The only way to tell for sure would be to have an 8D baked, but it's not fair to ask the store to do that if you're not going to buy skates from them.

If you're sure the 8.5D is the right size then it looks like the ebay option may in fact be the way to go unless you can find that size in stock somewhere (I see Hockeysupremacy, HM and Total are all out of that size). If there was a bit of room in the 8.5D or your toes were just barely grazing the cap then you might be able to squeeze into an 8D after baking and breaking them in. If your toes were firmly against the cap with the 8.5D I wouldn't go down to an 8D - only if they were barely touching the cap or just off it. The only way to tell for sure would be to have an 8D baked, but it's not fair to ask the store to do that if you're not going to buy skates from them.

I made the drive back to the store just to check and the 8Ds fit just right. I had a bit of room at the front on the 8.5D. I'll buy a size 8 from an authorized vendor to get the warranty. Thanks again for all the help!

If you had room at the front in 8.5D then you're more than likely an 8D - the Makos are extremely heat moldable and your foot will move back a bit with baking, plus any pressure points (unless they're unbelievably bad) should go away. The Mako skate is based on a zero negative space concept so you want them as tight as possible prebake - some people wear sizes they couldn't get their feet into before baking the skates. That wasn't the case for me, but it was snug all around before baking with some minor pressure points and my toes brushing the caps.