Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

akravetz

New brain bucket

Like an idiot after a game, I left my helmet at the rink. Didn't realize until the next day and well, it was gone. I had a Reebok 8K and liked it. Looking for a new one. Thoughts on a good helmet that isn't too expensive. My son, whom I have written about here, is 10 and has a IMS 7.0. I don't like the feel of it when I handle it. The plastic seems too soft and squeezable. I used to have an old, old CCM but that was too much like a motorcycle helmet. Thoughts? 

And how idiotic would I look if I got a dark green one. Our team colors are dark green. (sponsored by an Irish bar and our jerseys are the Minnesota Wild green and cream). Just asking. If I can find an old 8K, I might just get that. But figure I'll ask. I'm looking to spend no more than 130 or so with the cage. I had a Bauer cage on my Reebok helmet. I think it was the 9900 or something like that. It had an oval bulge if that helps. 

I've tried on a CCM and an Easton at a store, don't  remember which one and they didn't seem the right fit. 

Yeah CCM FL80 is the exact same helmet as the reebok 8k just with a ccm logo and without the microdial in the back. The FL60 is also basically that same helmet for less money. Depending on what size you need you can probably still find an old 8k at a discount.

IMO nothing wrong with a green helmet, especially if it matches your jersey.

I'll try that. Honestly, I don't know that much about helmets. I do know that it's the one thing other than skates that I will not cut corners on. I am a whitewater kayaker as well and my helmet has saved my life more than once. So I appreciate it. Most of my buddies have Bauer or Reebok so that's what I know. Easton doesn't fit my head well or at least the ones I have tried. 

4 hours ago, rawkstar said:

Yeah CCM FL80 is the exact same helmet as the reebok 8k just with a ccm logo and without the microdial in the back.

It's nearly identical. Like you said, it doesn't have the Micro-Dial but it does have RED bladders and a different comfort padding on top of the EPP. FL60 has a lower-end shell (no PETG sub-shell) and one less RED bladder than the FL80 FWIW.

OKay, I'll check it out. Our summer league doesn't start for a few weeks so I have time. Using an old beat up CCM now so another CCM isn't out of the realm. Again, just didn't like the feel of the IMS. Thanks so much

andy

Reebok helmets are clearing out everywhere. I am picking up one every about 4 months to add to the stockpile.

I'll throw in my two cents ... Since coming back from a 15 year hiatus I've accidentally skated head first into a couple people with about 50 lbs on me (I am 6'1" 180lbs) in my CCM FitLite FL80.

No damage to myself or the helmet.

Unfortunately the other players have been a different story. Haha. 

Point is, it's been a great helmet in my experience this far.