Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killthepoodle

The Pencil Test

Quick question - How much room is too much when it comes to the pencil test? That is how far away from your foot does the pencil need to be before you "fail" the test because the boots are too deep? Are we talking 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, a centimeter?

Thanks.

Sometimes in my XXXX's, my ankle bone kills. The hole where my ankle goes in my skates, is close to the eyelets and there is not any padding there. So I just tried the pencil test and failed. Would this be the reason for my ankle being too close to the eylets?

Quite possibly. For what it's worth, a friend of mine has that problem with the ankle being 'too far forward', and he solved it with 707s.

Just tried and failed the pencil test by about 1/2" on my Bauer 6000's. I've never had any ankle pain or lace bite with these.

I'm planning on buying some new skates: should I take the test into consideration when buying the new pair even though it wasn't an issue before?

Just tried and failed the pencil test by about 1/2" on my Bauer 6000's. I've never had any ankle pain or lace bite with these.

I'm planning on buying some new skates: should I take the test into consideration when buying the new pair even though it wasn't an issue before?

I would, especially if you are getting high-end skates with a big price tag.

Sometimes in my XXXX's, my ankle bone kills. The hole where my ankle goes in my skates, is close to the eyelets and there is not any padding there. So I just tried the pencil test and failed. Would this be the reason for my ankle being too close to the eylets?

I had the same problem last night- see my pics earlier in the thread. It's strange because the problem is sporadic.

I had the same problem last night- see my pics earlier in the thread. It's strange because the problem is sporadic.

My friend has the same problem with his XXXX's on one leg, he wears two socks on his left foot now.

I wonder how much difference/impact orthotics or inserts like Superfeet have on volume in a boot.

Well I tried to put superfeet in my new supra g3's and I can't make it work. They are the gray ones with the heel lift.

I wonder how much difference/impact orthotics or inserts like Superfeet have on volume in a boot.

Well I tried to put superfeet in my new supra g3's and I can't make it work. They are the gray ones with the heel lift.

Didn't work in which way? Didn't fit at all? Were too narrow/wide for the boot?

Didn't work in which way? Didn't fit at all? Were too narrow/wide for the boot?

No not enough volume. It just raised your foot in the boot.

Of course it does.

Is it a really drastic difference with Superfeet? I was hoping to replace the stock insert with some Superfeet on whichever skates I get next.

Your heel's going up about half a centimeter, and if you have flattish feet, your medial arch will go up about the same at its most extreme - that's a big change in available volume.

So it that a "recommended" way to decrease volume in a boot if it's too deep for your foot or is it kinda "cheating" (i.e. detrimental)? Or does it not matter?

I think thats a safe way to decrease volume. Try a pair of Shockdoctor Insoles with the 5mm heel lift. They came stock in my 1500's and i had to take them out because they ate up too much volume for me.

so just to confirm should the pencil test ONLY be done on the TOP 3-4 eyelets? how about the 5th one from the top?

that's where I fail the test miserably - top 3 are OK, 4th - border line...

I had a similar issue in my XX's when I went to the grey superfeet... but I was taking a power skating class (the instructor handles the Blue Jakets) and she said to only really tighten the eyelets 4 & 5 down from the top (like where the lace lock is on Rbk's)... I did that and my lace bite went away and I got much better knee bend. Her laces are all floppy on the top of her foot...

Probably not a good idea unless your boot is stiff enough however...

I just want repeat SolarWind's question I've - been curious about this too.

Should I do the eyelet test all the way up and down? Or is it only valid on the top 3-4 eyelets. I've tried skates that have felt great on the 3-4 eyelet but clearly failed on 5, 6, 7, etc...

Thanks guys.

The pencil test is used to determine if you might get lace bite, since it occurs in the top 3-4 eyelets.

You can use the pencil test lower down the boot to see if your forefoot has too much volume for the boot.

If you fail on the 5,6,7 eyelets you will probably have a sore foot after each skate.

if you fail on the 5,6,7 eyelets you will probably have a sore foot after each skate.

exactly

I don't tighten top 3 eyelets anyhow since it affects the forward stride

but 4-5 is where the pain happens - so if this means not enough volume then I understand...

if you fail on the 5,6,7 eyelets you will probably have a sore foot after each skate.

exactly

I don't tighten top 3 eyelets anyhow since it affects the forward stride

but 4-5 is where the pain happens - so if this means not enough volume then I understand...

I saw a video on YouTube on how to tighten skates, and they said the top 3 eyelets you should tie fairly tight to get good "heal lock" - I mean you don't lock them down too tight, but tight enough so your foot will not slip foward and scrunch toe cap, then the middle eyelets keep fairly loose so your foot can circulate, the tie the last few eyelets tight again.

I think whats happening to SolarWind is because you keep 1st three loose, your foot is creating too much forward momentum and your foot is hitting the 4th eyelet with much more force than normal...you have to balance out the forces going foward, use all eyelets to do this.

I saw a video on YouTube on how to tighten skates

I hope it's not this one from Prolite:

this guy has no clue: "properly tied skate is supposed to be uncomfortable" - yeah right - what an idiot...

he's Ok as far as "extreme skating: goes - he was fun to watch

but he's new "basic skating skills" videos are plain painful - like backwards crossovers - instead of breaking it out as c-cut with outside leg (he never even mentions that as you inprove the outside foot never leaves the ice) followed by x-push with the inside he goes to demonstrate a chicken shut in the a$$ thing :)

heck - look at this figure skater - he does a much better job:

and of course here's a good hockey version:

http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/29946/sports/hockey...hink070331b.wmv

so coming back to the discussion - every reputable powerskating coach (starting with Laura Stamm) says that top 2 eyelets SHOULD be tied loosely or not tied at all to allow proper forward stride flex.

of course this wouldn't work for people with weak ankles, but that's a separate issue

in this case I think we're talking about skate fit & volume.

I tried the pencil test and passed it with flying colors surprisingly. It is basically as good of a fit as you can get. However, the boot is painful to skate on! i have pain all along the sides of my feet. I have to lace my skates looser to alleviate some of it. So most likely, my skates aren't wide enough? They are Easton EE's.