Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ean

How to get more grip out of wheels

I'm an ice player. Played a roller game on borrowed (old and worn) skates. The surface was concrete with a clearcoat painted on. I was sliding a lot and couldnt really get going. I was going to see if I should buy new wheels for these skates as I'm going to play again on the same surface, and I come to find that the wheels were 76A (I also weigh 160 lbs). This was kind of confusing to say the least, I would have expected them to grip better. Could it be because they're old and perhaps dried out? Is there any way to regain some of the grip in these things?

Thanks

You can try washing them in some warm water and dishwashing detergent. However if you are new to the sport you may also need to change your stride. It's very different to ice. Also playing on rinks with plastic tiles are allot more "ice like" then coated cement.

You can try washing them in some warm water and dishwashing detergent. However if you are new to the sport you may also need to change your stride. It's very different to ice. Also playing on rinks with plastic tiles are allot more "ice like" then coated cement.

I will try to wash them. Right before the game I had to roll on a dirt hill to go to the bathroom-so that couldn't have helped How should I change my stride?

Rubbing alcohol...it's like $1.50 at Wal-Mart. I play on an extremely dusty surface (I've played there about a year and I've never seen them clean it) so every other week or so I take a paper towel and rub some alcohol on my wheels to clean them up. It works wonders in restoring the grip to your wheels.

I've never tried soap and water before but I'm sure it's the same concept- cleaning your wheels gets all the crap off of them and lets the grip do it's thing.

you can skate with your stride,just trying to dig in for a edge is differant,when you go to push off, the wheels might slip out a little bit , you could pull a groin or hammy,just get used to the feel of the wheels.its not like curving into the ice,or getting that ice blade into the ice for good push off.adjust your power.you will know the differance after a couple of skates.and yes like the guys say soft wheels.76a and 74a is the durometer in softness and hardness for inline wheels.lower the number the softer the wheel.good luck .

how do you go about cleaning each wheel?

Remove the wheel from the frame, spray on, wipe off. It gets the rolled up urethane out of the bearing covers too. You don't really have to remove the wheels, but I usually do it when I'm rotating them.

How should I change my stride?

In ice we use about a 45 degree angle when we push our blade into the ice. In inline its higher/more upright, not so much depth and you need to hoop a little when you stride to get some extra push. Upgrading to a Sprung chassis and getting some new wheels will mean you won't need to change your stride when you play inline. I don't.

windex wipes they not only clean but give the wheels a great grip. Imagine using the sweet stick on your blades and keeping that edge for a good while, basically the same concept.