Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MSH Pro Shop closing from 12/2 until 12/9 Read more... ×
Reviews wanted! Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

Hey Guys

So I made a post before about a pair of 1S skates I had which I have now sold and just bought a pair of Supertacks.

To give a little information before, I had a pair of One95's that I bought on consignment at Pro Skate in Edmonton, AB and really liked them, but they've become too soft and I'm a bigger guy at 5'10, 245 pounds (and trying to lose!!!) so I wasn't getting the response I wanted anymore. I bought the 1S', didn't fit well and were so stiff I got no forward flex which made skating in them extremely tiring.

So I got these Supertacks on Saturday in Salt Lake City while I'm living in Idaho Falls, Idaho (pathetic I need to drive 3 hours just to try on skates). I wasn't planning on buying but they had 200$ off and CCM has a 30 day warranty if I don't like them, I can return them so I figured why not.

After my first skate last night I have to say, that was the least painful first skate I've ever experienced! Very comfortable for a first skate... Better than after owning the 1S' for 2-3 months! Only thing that was weird for me were the edges on the skates. 

On my older Bauers, it felt like I was skating on rails as in I had no issue going straight or doing sharp turns as long as I dug my feet into the ice with the downside of less edge control. Last night was my first night and I had a game (probably not the best time to test them out). These Supertacks seem to be the opposite way. When I'm skating straight, I feel like my steel is digging into the ice like a stop which is slowing me down from accelerating. I also felt like I couldn't turn as sharply from when I took a turn with the puck and it ended up in a bad turnover. Also last night I seemed to be taking a large number of passes to my skates (the hockey in Idaho Falls isn't very good) and had no chance of controlling it to my stick. I also was skating backwards and as I was accepting a pass and transitioning to go forwards I stumbled pretty hard and lost control. I also went to the locker room after and noticed that the skates could have been tighter by pushing my fingers into where the eyelets are.

My #1 priority is comfort (I'm not going to the show and just want to have fun) which these were great for, but the feeling of the edges scraping all the time is bugging me. I would retighten the skates every now and then and it would fix them now and then. I also have those damn CCM laces which were loosening my skates left and right because I forgot to buy wax laces for them (ordered a pair on amazon which will get here Wednesday). Could this come from the laces not being tight enough? Are there any factors to make your skates have more like my Bauers in how they ride? Do people even enjoy having their skates scrape like that and want that intentionally or is this something everyone avoids?

Any tips would be appreciated and I'm sorry if I didn't explain this well because I found it tough to explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a hollow/sharpening issue as opposed to an issue with the skates themselves.

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cavs019 said:

Sounds like a hollow/sharpening issue as opposed to an issue with the skates themselves.

 

53 minutes ago, goalieman39 said:

Sharpen them at a less-agressive hollow, as sometime stiffer skates feel like they dig in more because of the lack of flex in the boot right off the bat.

I didn’t even think about that! Too obvious! Well thanks for your help guys. I guess I’m gonna have to drive all the way to salt lake just for a sharpen which sucks. 

 

What radius do you guys recommend? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ROH is really personal - somewhat dependent on weight, but mostly preference.  Try going down one step from whatever you were using last (i.e. if you usually use 1/2", drop to 5/8").  I run 3/4", but I'm pretty heavy (about 220 lbs).  

Also something to note would be profile - your old One95s were on LS2 steel that had a 9 foot profile (assuming stock steel and no profiling was done).  The new Super Tacks are on a 10 foot profile.  You can take the old skates in and have them take a look - they should be able to profile the new steel close to what you had and were used to originally.  That would make turning/stability feel more familiar.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd give the shop where you bought the skates from a call and find out what their "house" hollow is which is likely what they gave you on the initial cut unless you specifically asked for something else. 

This will help serve as a benchmark for your next sharpening. I.e., if they cut your skates at 1/2, move to 9/16 or 5/8. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually get a 1/2 sharpen and I'm not quite sure what the radius was on my ONE95's but I had BlackEdge put on them. I'm not the best at radius' but I took a picture of both the BlackEdge and the CCM's. Upon looking at least one of the skates, I don't think I got the best sharped on the CCMs either.

I added a picture of both the CCMs and the Bauers and their radius

IMG_0636_zpsvcq0sjuz.jpegIMG_0634_zps0niwqsvb.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Cavs019 said:

I'd give the shop where you bought the skates from a call and find out what their "house" hollow is which is likely what they gave you on the initial cut unless you specifically asked for something else. 

This will help serve as a benchmark for your next sharpening. I.e., if they cut your skates at 1/2, move to 9/16 or 5/8. 

I specifically asked for a 1/2 inch because thats usually my preference so maybe I'll move to 5/8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, goalieman39 said:

I'd go with 5/8ths and try to adjust before messing with profile but that's me

I’m almost thinking about putting tuuks on them and then just putting my blackedge from my Bauer’s on it cause I was considering putting tuuks on anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theinfamoust94 said:

I’m almost thinking about putting tuuks on them and then just putting my blackedge from my Bauer’s on it cause I was considering putting tuuks on anyway

That's what I ended up doing with my SuperTacks - Tuuks and Step Blacksteel in my case, but after I ran the SB4 holders for a couple weeks I just preferred the feel of Tuuks.  Personally, I feel that the rear tower of the SB4 holders were a little...softer?...than Tuuks. Almost like they torqued out a little in tight turns.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tcraig said:

That's what I ended up doing with my SuperTacks - Tuuks and Step Blacksteel in my case, but after I ran the SB4 holders for a couple weeks I just preferred the feel of Tuuks.  Personally, I feel that the rear tower of the SB4 holders were a little...softer?...than Tuuks. Almost like they torqued out a little in tight turns.  

Thats exactly what I was feeling on the sharp turns! So you feel that the Tuuks made a significant change in your turning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, yes.  I'm not sure how much of it was an actual performance difference vs. just feeling more secure and "at home" since I was used to the Tuuks, but I absolutely love them now.

 

For what it's worth we had a similar skate progression - I rolled in One95s back when I played competitively, and the new Supreme fit isn't quite right anymore. I think they widened the heel a but sometime around the TotalOne. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, theinfamoust94 said:

...When I'm skating straight, I feel like my steel is digging into the ice like a stop which is slowing me down from accelerating...

This could be from too much forward pitch for how you skate. Try to skate and load heels more see if the slowing down goes away. You can adjust that through custom profiling job, or get used to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tcraig said:

For me, yes.  I'm not sure how much of it was an actual performance difference vs. just feeling more secure and "at home" since I was used to the Tuuks, but I absolutely love them now.

 

For what it's worth we had a similar skate progression - I rolled in One95s back when I played competitively, and the new Supreme fit isn't quite right anymore. I think they widened the heel a but sometime around the TotalOne. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

This could be from too much forward pitch for how you skate. Try to skate and load heels more see if the slowing down goes away. You can adjust that through custom profiling job, or get used to that.

So what kind of profile would that be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, theinfamoust94 said:

So what kind of profile would that be?

-1 or -2... It is pretty hard to recommend something like that. Some trainers can see this, other than that, it is more or less trial and error thing. Besides, first you'd need to confirm that pitch is the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

-1 or -2... It is pretty hard to recommend something like that. Some trainers can see this, other than that, it is more or less trial and error thing. Besides, first you'd need to confirm that pitch is the problem.

I mean it sounds like our skate fitting issues are pretty identical so if it hasn't been necessary for you I doubt it will be for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, theinfamoust94 said:

I mean it sounds like our skate fitting issues are pretty identical so if it hasn't been necessary for you I doubt it will be for me

My comment is based on my observations and comment by other skaters that switch from Bauer to other known for more aggressive forward pitch skates. I think your twin in problems is @tcraig not me 😊.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kgbeast said:

My comment is based on my observations and comment by other skaters that switch from Bauer to other known for more aggressive forward pitch skates. I think your twin in problems is @tcraig not me 😊.

My mistake.. New to this forum and when I see two of the stock pics posting I get confused.. Sorry about that @kgbeast and @tcraig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, theinfamoust94 said:

My mistake.. New to this forum and when I see two of the stock pics posting I get confused.. Sorry about that @kgbeast and @tcraig

Another note is that if you do not mind trying to get used to more pitch, you might actually like that more in the end. Now that you have read all this, give that another go and see if you can or can not adjust to this, see how it goes. If not you can change holders. By the way, I did compare SB4 holders against Cobra 3000 in a torque "test", as I was able to noticeably twist the SB4 skate in my arms, while not at all with Cobra... So I do agree that SB holders are pretty soft, but then again, a number of NHLers and some of the best skaters at that, do not mind those at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

but then again, a number of NHLers and some of the best skaters at that, do not mind those at all.

Yeah, exactly - I'm sure it's probably not really an issue as more as a comfort issue for me.  

 

@theinfamoust94 In regards to your clip - YUP! Ha!  Also, for what it's worth, I was always in Easton skates before I went to One95s and eventually the SuperTacks, and I now always get my steel profiled at a bit of a forward pitch. So that's going to be totally subjective for how you skate.  I notice you've got a decent heel lift in your One95 pic...so maybe you're actually a bit back on your heels in the SB4 holders? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tcraig said:

Yeah, exactly - I'm sure it's probably not really an issue as more as a comfort issue for me.  

 

@theinfamoust94 In regards to your clip - YUP! Ha!  Also, for what it's worth, I was always in Easton skates before I went to One95s and eventually the SuperTacks, and I now always get my steel profiled at a bit of a forward pitch. So that's going to be totally subjective for how you skate.  I notice you've got a decent heel lift in your One95 pic...so maybe you're actually a bit back on your heels in the SB4 holders? 

Yeah thats one thing as well. I worked in a shop called Pro Skate in Edmonton and when they fit people for their skates they always do alignment for their customers and pretty much always add that heel lift for Bauers since they usually sit people with their feet pretty flat. Thats definetly another factor. I think I'm gonna go to SLC again this weekend and have them put on Tuuks and my Blackedge. Then if I feel like I'd like the heel lift I'll have it added in Edmonton when I move back there in April.

I left my favourite hat at my friends place anyway so I might as well go ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@theinfamoust94 that sounds like a good place to start, and then like you said you can always have the lift put back in. I'm not sure how much, if any, the pitch of the SuperTacks boot itself differs from Supremes.  So you may or may not end up wanting that lift back.  I know the SB4 holder is supposed to be the same pitch as the LS Edge holder, but I can't remember how those compare to LS2.  

Good luck!  Once you get the holders/steel dialed in I think you'll love the SuperTacks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×