Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jvincig01

Swapping out True holder for CCM SB 4.0

First post here!

I played on Graf's for 15 years and really liked the forward pitch of the skate. I had Step Steel runners that wore in great and I liked the setup. The boots broke down  so I recently made the switch to True and like the boot. However, I find myself too flat footed with their holder and I find myself too neutral. I need to be propped toward my toes more. I suppose I could learn to live with it but these boots were too pricey to "get used to it" and im sort of stuck in my ways with my playing style.

So here is my question, does the CCM holder resemble a Graf Cobra holder pitch or are they just as neutral as the True and Tuuk runners? I can find a pair of new CCM runners and steel for pretty cheap but didn't want to go through the hassle of swapping them out if there was no significant advantage.

Thanks!

I believe the SB 4.0 holder is the same pitch as Tuuk LS2/Edge.

You could shim the heel of the Step holder or drill the boots and mount Cobra holders.  Of the two options, I'd be inclined to go with the shim.

A third option on top of boo10's suggestion would be to profile your steel to five you more forward pitch. JR may have a better suggestion or could tell you which option would work best for you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CigarScott said:

A third option on top of boo10's suggestion would be to profile your steel to five you more forward pitch. JR may have a better suggestion or could tell you which option would work best for you.

Yes, profile the steel. Dont swap holders. Thats just silly. 

• Like 1

When people are unsure about pitch (mind you, it's not always about the holder) I would recommend a heel lift first. It's not permanent, it can be tweaked further or less, and it saves your steel life.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking about a heel lift but my True skates came with what looks like an insert/lift that sits between the boot and the holder. Also, Part of the reason I have thought about swapping out the True holder/ StepSteel is because the skates are pretty heavy. I have the built in shock blockers btw. I thought if I go to a CCM holder and runner then maybe I would cut some weight off the boot while giving me the pitch I am used to. Its probably not a lot though.

The nice thing about the StepSteel is there is plenty of material to work with, and because I think the True's already have a heel lift, adjusting the pitch is probably my safest route for now. Unless, of course, if anyone knows if the CCM holder/steel is considerably lighter than what I have now. 

2 hours ago, jvincig01 said:

Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking about a heel lift but my True skates came with what looks like an insert/lift that sits between the boot and the holder. Also, Part of the reason I have thought about swapping out the True holder/ StepSteel is because the skates are pretty heavy. I have the built in shock blockers btw. I thought if I go to a CCM holder and runner then maybe I would cut some weight off the boot while giving me the pitch I am used to. Its probably not a lot though.

The nice thing about the StepSteel is there is plenty of material to work with, and because I think the True's already have a heel lift, adjusting the pitch is probably my safest route for now. Unless, of course, if anyone knows if the CCM holder/steel is considerably lighter than what I have now. 

The VH/Step, CCM, and Tuuk holders all weight about the same. It's the steel that is very heavy. If you go with short steel you will save weight. I recently had to grind down about 40% of a players Step steel because he didn't like the tall steel and the added weight. 

If you want the absolutely lightest combination that would be Tuuk holder with Byonic steel. Like this

vJLOB9z2EQA_MYNREmSolrEuBwM8y5lhs59Jnrhi

Edited by Nicholas G

23 minutes ago, Nicholas G said:

The VH/Step, CCM, and Tuuk holders all weight about the same. It's the steel that is very heavy. If you go with short steel you will save weight. I recently had to grind down about 40% of a players Step steel because he didn't like the tall steel and the added weight. 

If you want the absolutely lightest combination that would be Tuuk holder with Byonic steel. Like this

I see you have True skates as well. I really like them! What about you? Although a little bit of bulk with the shot blockers built in, I really don't have any complaints about the boot itself.

The step steel height doesnt bother me too much although they are certainly heavy. I am not familiar with Byonic so I will check them out. The guy at my LHS recommends changing the pitch of my Step Steel and seeing what I think of the angle. Ideally I would knock out two issues (weight and pitch) so that is why he also recommended CCM's holder as its more aggressive than Tuuk and True's holder. He said the CCM resembles the Graf Cobra's aggressive pitch  I have been playing on for years.

22 hours ago, jvincig01 said:

I see you have True skates as well. I really like them! What about you? Although a little bit of bulk with the shot blockers built in, I really don't have any complaints about the boot itself.

The step steel height doesnt bother me too much although they are certainly heavy. I am not familiar with Byonic so I will check them out. The guy at my LHS recommends changing the pitch of my Step Steel and seeing what I think of the angle. Ideally I would knock out two issues (weight and pitch) so that is why he also recommended CCM's holder as its more aggressive than Tuuk and True's holder. He said the CCM resembles the Graf Cobra's aggressive pitch  I have been playing on for years.

I have multiple pairs of True skates, but my shop is also a custom fit center so we scan and fit customers too. Love them. It takes a little time to get used to the weight and such but after you adjust there really isnt a better-built skate on the market. Can your local shop do a ProSharp profile? What size skate and holder do you have? 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:21 AM, boo10 said:

I believe the SB 4.0 holder is the same pitch as Tuuk LS2/Edge.

You could shim the heel of the Step holder or drill the boots and mount Cobra holders.  Of the two options, I'd be inclined to go with the shim.

I've heard it many times, but my personal experience shown me they are different

I used to use ccms (U+s, Tacks and Jetspeeds) and when I swithed to supremes with egdes, I felt alot of issues

In the end, I mounted SB holders to supreme boots and found my skating much more better

Dont know the exactly problem: looks like the pitch is equal, the profile is equal (zupperior M)

But it exist -)

11 hours ago, Nicholas G said:

I have multiple pairs of True skates, but my shop is also a custom fit center so we scan and fit customers too. Love them. It takes a little time to get used to the weight and such but after you adjust there really isnt a better-built skate on the market. Can your local shop do a ProSharp profile? What size skate and holder do you have? 

My Graf's were not exactly light either so I am somewhat used to the weight. The closest shop that can adjust the pitch and radius is 2 hour away. They are pretty good guys and I trust them with my skates. I don't think what I need is drastic as far as pitch goes but I am hoping for something along the lines of my Graf's that tilted me forward a little. Is the pitch change just a matter of moving the center point of the blade? If so, what would you recommend I tell my local shop?