Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SkateWorksPNW

Solution for mounting a cage slightly lower to help players sight

Recommended Posts

Have a player who is very happy with their helmet and wants to use the Re-Akt Titanium cage but it seems his face length is inbetween sizes. A medium cage is too short on him and a large cage has the bars direcftly in his line of sight. I have tried flipping the clips upside down, messing the the j clips, among other things but it seems the only correct way to fix this is to use a medium cage and lower it slightly so the bars are not directly in his line of sight.

Any suggeastions how to accomplish this properly? Its a shame that manufacturers dont make top steel cage clips is different lengths.

 

Zup9BBc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done the exact same setup using these...  You need to trim, modify, etc as necessary.  There's several different sizes/versions.  They're easy enough to trim using tin snips, and are flexible enough to bend if you want to change the "loop".

specialty-hardware-814128-64_1000.jpg

specialty-hardware-814118-64_1000.jpg

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-Hole-Zinc-Plated-Picture-Hanger-814128/204273798

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-Hole-Zinc-Plated-Wire-Eye-Strap-Hanger-814118/204273797

Edited by freeflyer14
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, freeflyer14 said:

I have done the exact same setup using these...  You need to trim, modify, etc as necessary.  There's several different sizes/versions.  They're easy enough to trim using tin snips, and are flexible enough to bend if you want to change the "loop".

specialty-hardware-814128-64_1000.jpg

specialty-hardware-814118-64_1000.jpg

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-Hole-Zinc-Plated-Picture-Hanger-814128/204273798

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-Hole-Zinc-Plated-Wire-Eye-Strap-Hanger-814118/204273797

Perfect! Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

Perfect! Thanks! 

they are on that way for a reason. HECC and CSA both test them like this.  if you lower the cage and the clip snaps your liable for all the damages. Such as happened in BC a few years back. player lowered the clips checked from behind cage came off and crushed his orbital bones. left with severe brain damage. 

The player was suspended for a year for the cross check the player hit has been in care since the hit. 

I have said this before dont alter the construction find a cage and helmet combo that work. I'm sure there is one out there.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

they are on that way for a reason. HECC and CSA both test them like this.  if you lower the cage and the clip snaps your liable for all the damages. Such as happened in BC a few years back. player lowered the clips checked from behind cage came off and crushed his orbital bones. left with severe brain damage. 

The player was suspended for a year for the cross check the player hit has been in care since the hit. 

I have said this before dont alter the construction find a cage and helmet combo that work. I'm sure there is one out there.  

I'm in agreement here.... Bad idea to change a fundamental connection for safety. Adapt and overcome. As hard as that may be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only playing beer league/rat at this point. If I was back in my full contact days I probably wouldn't do this modification, as I'm sure it isn't "legal" per the governing body. That being said, it's still safer than no cage or just a visor in my personal situation, and I am able to use my React cage with much better vision by dropping it down a quarter of an inch.

Edited by freeflyer14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 10:18 PM, freeflyer14 said:

I'm only playing beer league/rat at this point. If I was back in my full contact days I probably wouldn't do this modification, as I'm sure it isn't "legal" per the governing body. That being said, it's still safer than no cage or just a visor in my personal situation, and I am able to use my React cage with much better vision by dropping it down a quarter of an inch.

Hey feel free to do as you wish. The player injured wasn't even playing full contact. 

But your a grown person you make your own choices.  

My issue is telling people on a public forum that a modification that you are offering information on could potentially be fatal. 

More of a guys let's not fo this it's a bad idea and a himmm for you...maybe there is a better option for you personally??

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Hey feel free to do as you wish. The player injured wasn't even playing full contact. 

But your a grown person you make your own choices.  

My issue is telling people on a public forum that a modification that you are offering information on could potentially be fatal. 

More of a guys let's not fo this it's a bad idea and a himmm for you...maybe there is a better option for you personally??

 

 

 

I know CCM and Bauer make these adjustable pieces for youth helmets to allow 1/8" adjustment up or down. Those might be a more solid option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I know CCM and Bauer make these adjustable pieces for youth helmets to allow 1/8" adjustment up or down. Those might be a more solid option. 

Actually they are to be mounted only 1 way if you read the instructions.  What you see out there are people mounting them incorrectly.  Hence my story above. The plastic pieces were old mounted the opposite of the intended way and they snapped off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 10:18 PM, freeflyer14 said:

I'm only playing beer league/rat at this point. If I was back in my full contact days I probably wouldn't do this modification, as I'm sure it isn't "legal" per the governing body. That being said, it's still safer than no cage or just a visor in my personal situation, and I am able to use my React cage with much better vision by dropping it down a quarter of an inch.

Just cut the bars in your line of sight... Easy enough.

I know, it's still a modification. Giving the options I'd rather deal with some bigger slots than a janky mount job.

JMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Actually they are to be mounted only 1 way if you read the instructions.  What you see out there are people mounting them incorrectly.  Hence my story above. The plastic pieces were old mounted the opposite of the intended way and they snapped off. 

You are thinking of the standard plastics clips. I am referring to these. You can see they allow cage adjustment.

 

2019-10-20-10-31-22.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stick9 said:

Just cut the bars in your line of sight... Easy enough.

I know, it's still a modification. Giving the options I'd rather deal with some bigger slots than a janky mount job.

JMO

The players still plays organized hockey. Can't cut the cage. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't cut the bars regardless. Doing so would allow the possibility of a stick or puck to get through.  I'll leave it to the mods to delete my post if they feel it is "potentially fatal". I'm an adult, an engineer, and can decide for myself if the mount is secure enough - for me. I'm not endorsing it or saying it is the best way to do it, only offering it as an option, as requested by the OP.  Like I said, I wouldn't do it for a full contact or regulated league due to the legality of it.  However I can pretty much guarantee that for a normal beer leaguer/rat player, it is a safer option than a visor or no face protection at all. 

I've used a visor for beer league - after ER visits (plural) for stitches around chin, mouth, and a lose tooth I am back to a cage. I then tried 2 different types of fish bowls - both fogged up and felt like ovens. Maybe one day there will be a version that doesn't. I'm hopeful, and am a gear nerd like most on this site so I will keep trying the latest and greatest.

Could I use the standard clips that came with the cage? Sure. But lowering it ever so slightly makes a world of difference with my vision - for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vet88 said:

The zero plus senior from https://hockeyfaceshields.com/

I'm waiting for the senior version to be released. I've talked to a couple of guys who tested them and they say they are as good as Boulder claim.

I just can't get over those combination masks. Its entirely a superficial thing, but, they just look so weird. I know the younger kids like them so we order them, but I just don't understand why people dont just use a full bubble instead of a combination mask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vet88 said:

The zero plus senior from https://hockeyfaceshields.com/

I'm waiting for the senior version to be released. I've talked to a couple of guys who tested them and they say they are as good as Boulder claim.

Is the metal part titanium? That's the only way I'd consider a combo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SkateWorksPNW said:

I just can't get over those combination masks. Its entirely a superficial thing, but, they just look so weird. I know the younger kids like them so we order them, but I just don't understand why people dont just use a full bubble instead of a combination mask?

full bubbles fog way more than the combos. -guy who used to wear full bubble and currently wears a combo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×