Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MattKingDelToro

Joe Sakic Pro Stock Sticks

Just seeing what information I could collect about Sakic's actual sticks. I have one of his original Easton Synergy sticks. Shaft was clear and the stick feels relatively stiff. I remember reading somewhere that Sakic had a special soft blade and shaft made just for him. Anyone have any information they can share?

I know back when he used the T-Flex shafts, they were a 95 flex. And whereas the other T-Flex users generally went with Easton's graphite or Z-Carbon blades, he used the Ultra Kevlar version (which the retail version had a much softer feel). I believe the curve he used at the end of his career was also what Yzerman switched to after seeing it.

Interesting that he would switch curves. He was pretty particular about his other equipment; he wore the same Supreme 8000 skates and Z-Air gloves for practically the last ten years of his career.

I believe the curve he used at the end of his career was also what Yzerman switched to after seeing it.

And what curve was that? I'm assuming it is unlike either the 'Sakic' or 'Yzerman' retail curves?

And what curve was that? I'm assuming it is unlike either the 'Sakic' or 'Yzerman' retail curves?

:unsure: No, neither player used anything like the retail version of their curves over the years. Yzerman's real curve was what eventually became the retail Drury, also known as the Yzerman Pro or YP. I have no idea what Sakic's earlier one looked like, but here was what I was told was his later version:

Sakicpro-1.jpg

:unsure: No, neither player used anything like the retail version of their curves over the years. Yzerman's real curve was what eventually became the retail Drury, also known as the Yzerman Pro or YP. I have no idea what Sakic's earlier one looked like, but here was what I was told was his later version:

Sakicpro-1.jpg

I have two of his pro stock Stealths and also had a few of his T Flex blades and that is exactly what they looked like.Stiff shaft and VERY short stick.

That was indeed the article. Watching Sakic's stick flex when he took his signature wrister, I always assumed he used a really soft flex.

As did I, especially with the fact that his T-Flex shafts were 95 flex. I know he uses his sticks at about collarbone height, so perhaps he just removed the plug?

Does removing the plug make the stick whippier?

No, stiffer, as it effectively shortens the length of the stick you have to work with.

No, stiffer, as it effectively shortens the length of the stick you have to work with.

I have one of his sticks in an SE. Its a mild drury with a toe, 85-90 flex

http://bostonblueline.blogspot.com/2009/05/hockey-south-of-border-man-behind-big.html

Was that the article you read? It said he had a softer blade and specifically designed shaft and that players had to receive Joe's permission to use his pattern, which only 3 players were able to do (mentions Mike Green).

Sublitwill, any info on this?

I picked up a Brett Clark stick at the Av's sale yesterday. The curve is identical from that angle. The blade shape may be different, though.

How much weight does the only-3-clones theory carry?

i remember hearing on tv during Sakic's last 2 years that he used to use a really stiff stick, but he went towards a whippier stick near the end.. I am not sure if the 85-90 is the whippier of his days, but he probably realized it was more efficient when he didn't need to put all of his body weight behind a wrist shot..

i remember hearing on tv during Sakic's last 2 years that he used to use a really stiff stick, but he went towards a whippier stick near the end.. I am not sure if the 85-90 is the whippier of his days, but he probably realized it was more efficient when he didn't need to put all of his body weight behind a wrist shot..

I've seen pics of him with a 100 flex T-Flex, but most of his were known to say "Sakic Custom 95". However, a link I read that compared Yzerman and Sakic said that the two were good friends and it was Yzerman's additional flex in his stick that lead to Sakic also going to a lower flex, just as it was Sakic's curve that lead to Yzerman adopting the mirrored righty version of it during his last couple years.

Would love to see pics!!

ebaystuff083.jpgebaystuff089.jpg

ebaystuff081.jpgebaystuff080.jpg

Pic # 1 - Sakic pro stock Stealth curve

pic # 2 - Sakic retail on the left and Sakic pro stock on the right.

pic # 4 - Sakic Stealth blade profile and lie.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Amazing that he had such a ridiculous wrister with such a flat blade, I'd be beyond useless with that thing.

He shot with the shaft/flex more than the blade/curve. But it was (and probably is) ridiculous indeed...

Indeed, obviously an absolute tonne of NHLers have total rockets with Drury-esque heel wedges, it's just amazing to me since my wrister is such garbage with a heel wedge. Clearly just my poor technique, but since I personally have such a better wrister with a mid curve I find it really impressive that guys like Sakic can have such unbelievable wristers with blades that are basically flat. His curve doesn't even seem to have much of a kink/angle at the heel, I think of the Drury as having a significant kink at the heel, but Sakic's pro curve looks almost straight (along the top edge) until the slight curve close to the toe.