Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruin88

getting/staying in shape

whats the best way of getting or staying in shape other then jogging or running? jogging and running hurts my back pretty bad enless its on clay or whatever. I have a pretty big camp coming up and i wanna be in decent shape for it.

running is just cardio, find a way to bring your heart rate up to a decent level and hold it there. Bike, rollerblade, skip, etc..

Hit the weights, or use your body weight. Pull-ups, dips, box jumps, jumping jacks, one legged squats, push-ups, sit-ups, leg raises, etc..

I OWN leg press(i do weight training at school) ,should leg press help much for skating?

There've been discussions about powerful legs vs. quick feet. Ideally you'd like to have both but in real life I can only assume it's a tradeoff.

Strong legs can't hurt, but big/bulky/slow moving tree trunks might.

Whats better ?

Jogging for like 30 mins (in a park behind out rink with some ups and downs) or rollerblading for like an hour (or more) ?

Whats better ?

Jogging for like 30 mins (in a park behind out rink with some ups and downs) or rollerblading for like an hour (or more) ?

I'd say it depens what are your strenght. If you are good skater, I'd say running is better. But if you need to improve your stability on skates, I'd say roller is better.

as much as I hate it basketball is always good for getting in shape and it is arguably more fun than staring at the wall in the weight room, now if there are other people in there and of the opposite gender well then its negotiable ;)

as much as I hate it basketball is always good for getting in shape and it is arguably more fun than staring at the wall in the weight room, now if there are other people in there and of the opposite gender well then its negotiable ;)

It can really help build ankle strength.

what googling the honeys or playing b-ball?

;)

Don't forget that you can get cardio benefits from a weight workout if you do circuit training.

Lighter weights, longer sets, go directly from one movement to the next with very little rest, and alternate between upper & lower body movements. For instance, do a set of bench presses, then move to the squat rack, then come back and do millitary press, then do leg press, and so forth.. If you don't rest in between the different movements, you get a serious cardio workout along with the benefits of weights.

what googling the honeys or playing b-ball?

;)

B-ball. Scoring with the ladies can help your core and endurance if you do it right. ;)

Don't forget that you can get cardio benefits from a weight workout if you do circuit training.

Lighter weights, longer sets, go directly from one movement to the next with very little rest, and alternate between upper & lower body movements. For instance, do a set of bench presses, then move to the squat rack, then come back and do millitary press, then do leg press, and so forth.. If you don't rest in between the different movements, you get a serious cardio workout along with the benefits of weights.

thats for in season, in the off season u want to build muscle mass

I have been told that your cardio should emulate how you play.

In hockey, if you play on a team and have 2-3 lines, you are going hard for 1-3 minutes at a time then resting. I was told that you should first work on some cardio bringing your heart rate up for 30 minutes at a time. Do this until you can stop and your heart rate drops reasonably quick. Then switch to doing cardio with intermittant sprints. Cycling was suggested where you start out at a steady pace for 10 minutes. Then for 10-29 minutes you alternate a slow pace with 1 minute sprints. Then the last 10 minutes are to wind down and work off any lactic acid build up.

Muscle training will require 2-4 days of rest per muscle group.

Cardio will typically require less unless you are really out of shape.

Most of your benifit will happen in the first 2 months of training for cardio if you have not been working out at all.

I took these suggestions about 2 months ago and feel like a new man already on the ice. I don't feel like I'm 18 again but by the time its my shift again, I feel ready.

Afer the summer season I think I'm going to work on my legs some more.

There are lots of info online about proper muscle healing including taking amino acid tablets (Available from GNC), replenishing fluids and carbs after a workout to speed the healing process (which is what gets you stronger).

thats for in season, in the off season u want to build muscle mass

Obviously a high-level training program concentrates on strength gains during the offseason, but the OP wasn't really asking about how to do that. He was asking about alternatives to jogging..

I have been told that your cardio should emulate how you play.

In hockey, if you play on a team and have 2-3 lines, you are going hard for 1-3 minutes at a time then resting. I was told that you should first work on some cardio bringing your heart rate up for 30 minutes at a time. Do this until you can stop and your heart rate drops reasonably quick. Then switch to doing cardio with intermittant sprints. Cycling was suggested where you start out at a steady pace for 10 minutes. Then for 10-29 minutes you alternate a slow pace with 1 minute sprints. Then the last 10 minutes are to wind down and work off any lactic acid build up.

Muscle training will require 2-4 days of rest per muscle group.

Cardio will typically require less unless you are really out of shape.

Most of your benifit will happen in the first 2 months of training for cardio if you have not been working out at all.

I took these suggestions about 2 months ago and feel like a new man already on the ice. I don't feel like I'm 18 again but by the time its my shift again, I feel ready.

Afer the summer season I think I'm going to work on my legs some more.

There are lots of info online about proper muscle healing including taking amino acid tablets (Available from GNC), replenishing fluids and carbs after a workout to speed the healing process (which is what gets you stronger).

You seem to be on the right track. The info here is all good information.

Depending on how seriously you want to take your training, you could look into some of these books for more detailed information.

Complete Conditioning for Ice Hockey

Strength, Conditioning and Injury Prevention for Hockey

Both books have TONS of great info.

Also, you might look into taking SOME supplements, but be careful, lots of stuff is really a waste of money. Creatine is a very good place to start, but if you get into heavy weights you might look into some protein supplements. Beyond those two, there aren't really that many supplements (that I've heard of) that will pay off very well.

HOW do i train/build up my wrist muscles ?

Im going to the gym like 3 times a week and im training all 'hockeymuscles' except my wrists.

Next time im there ill ask a supervisor but i would like to have some tips from the players.

thanks

Im going to the gym like 3 times a week and im training all 'hockeymuscles' except my wrists.

Next time im there ill ask a supervisor but i would like to have some tips from the players.

thanks

Zak, simple...Find a space where you can shoot puck. Shoots a lot of puck, it will be a great wrist exercise and it will practice your shooting.

thanks

grab a stick with both hands shoulder width apart both hands palms down. Extend your arms fully and keep them level with the floor. Now quickly rotate the stick in your hands forwards then after a bit backwards. I've also seen this done with a weight attached to a string where you would wind up the string and once the weight reaches the stick proceed to unwind it the same way. Do it quickly and you'll feel it in your forearms. Probably the best exercise I can think of to both strengthen and quicken your wrists.

thanks

grab a stick with both hands shoulder width apart both hands palms down. Extend your arms fully and keep them level with the floor. Now quickly rotate the stick in your hands forwards then after a bit backwards. I've also seen this done with a weight attached to a string where you would wind up the string and once the weight reaches the stick proceed to unwind it the same way. Do it quickly and you'll feel it in your forearms. Probably the best exercise I can think of to both strengthen and quicken your wrists.

I do this exercise too, great exercise.

thanks

Practice backhand, wrist, and snap shot motions with a bungee cord attached to the stick just above the blade and the other end anchored to a post or fence.

Do Kovy_Ribs_Fedo's stickhandling and figure 8 drills with the bungee cord, facing different directions from the anchor point.

Do the stickhandling and figure 8 drills with a wrist or ankle weight around the shaft just above the blade.

Other wrist exercises: wrist rolls with the palms of your hands facing each other, screwing wood screws (with a screwdriver, not a power drill), and the exercise machine with the D-ring handle that you grab and twist.

The traditional wrist-roll exercise, with the weight attached to the rope that you wind around a broomstick / hockey shaft with the palms facing up or down, is good for building up the muscles that flex or extend the hands, but this motion is not used for shooting or stickhandling. It's good for hooking, though.

thanks

http://www.1tonhooks.com/JackHammer.htm?source=gg#2 :D

i dont know if it works i just found it when i was looking for weightlifting stuff

this

that works i have one

also the old weight tied to a broom stick works just fine, but thats for more of the top of the forearm

Wrists: the best thing for them is a wrist roller. I like this one, in 2.5" size:

http://www.ctstrongman.com/SFS_Equipment.html

It is hard to see the picture, but what it is is a hollow steel tube, 16" long. There is a cord that is attached on THE OUTSIDE of the tube. The inside of the tube is smooth/hollow. This allows you to slide the wrist roller over a 1" bar that is supported on a power rack, etc. You attach weight plates to the end of the line, and roll it up and down. As the weight of the plates is supported by the bar inside of the roller, you can really concentrate on working the wrists, not the rest of the arms/body.

BTW, check out some of the strongman videos on that site. Neat stuff. Axle press is unique, since the tires do not spin freely on the shaft, you have to lift it in an odd way.