Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sticks of Fury

Front of skates wobble when skating

I didn't notice this but someone pointed it out to me. When I skate I want to check the dman in their end. I am getting up speed and I kinda coast on my back heels in case the dman makes a move I can change better than going at full speed. This is when I noticed the wobbling. Is this normal?

My friend insists that I need smaller skates. I don't think so. They fit fine to me.

When i couldnt skate as good as now my skates were wobbling too but it got away when i got more stable and got more balance on the edges

You can try a simple experiment. Get one of those metal skate lace tighteners, they look like a piece of twisted wire with a hook at the end. Use one of those to really tighten up the laces, go out and skate around, and you will see if the problem is your ankles or too-loose skates.

You can try a simple experiment. Get one of those metal skate lace tighteners, they look like a piece of twisted wire with a hook at the end. Use one of those to really tighten up the laces, go out and skate around, and you will see if the problem is your ankles or too-loose skates.

You might be on to something. I usually don't tie the laces that tight for the whole skate except for the last 5 eyelets on the top of the skates.

But now I think it is a weight transferring problem. All the weight is on the back blade when I coast and I am chipping the ice as I go....like a speed boat on the heavy seas. Man I neeeeedddd to go on a diet!

Next time I will try to go on the balls of my feet more when coasting and see if it stops.

Thanks for the replies.

You can try a simple experiment.  Get one of those metal skate lace tighteners, they look like a piece of twisted wire with a hook at the end.  Use one of those to really tighten up the laces, go out and skate around, and you will see if the problem is your ankles or too-loose skates.

You might be on to something. I usually don't tie the laces that tight for the whole skate except for the last 5 eyelets on the top of the skates.

But now I think it is a weight transferring problem. All the weight is on the back blade when I coast and I am chipping the ice as I go....like a speed boat on the heavy seas. Man I neeeeedddd to go on a diet!

Next time I will try to go on the balls of my feet more when coasting and see if it stops.

Thanks for the replies.

your tie job should be almost the opposite. the whole bottom should be tight, then the same with the top 2 eyelets. The 2 or 3 eyeletes below the top two should be somewhat loose though, because that is the major flex point on your skate.

your tie job should be almost the opposite. the whole bottom should be tight, then the same with the top 2 eyelets. The 2 or 3 eyeletes below the top two should be somewhat loose though, because that is the major flex point on your skate.

It's largely personal preference, you can't say that everyone should lace their skates the same way.

As for the skate size issue, loosen the laces quite a bit and put your foot in. Then slide your foot as far forward as you can without curling your toes and see if you can put a pencil or finger behind your heel. If you can get a finger back there with room to spare the skate is too big. If the finger is tight behind your heel, it's ok if you're still growing but you may be able to go smaller if you've stopped growing.

If your grind radius is too shallow this can also happen....the skate does not know which edge to track on, and keeps switching from one side to the other....have had this happen myself many times on new skates before they got properly sharpened....coasting in either direction.

If your grind radius is too shallow this can also happen....the skate does not know which edge to track on, and keeps switching from one side to the other....have had this happen myself many times on new skates before they got properly sharpened....coasting in either direction.

You might be on to something here. I will see about getting a less shallow sharpening.

As for the skate size issue, loosen the laces quite a bit and put your foot in. Then slide your foot as far forward as you can without curling your toes and see if you can put a pencil or finger behind your heel. If you can get a finger back there with room to spare the skate is too big. If the finger is tight behind your heel, it's ok if you're still growing but you may be able to go smaller if you've stopped growing.

Finally found the time to do the pencil check and I can stick a pencil down the heel area. I guess I have to go down half a size or a full size? I am thinking half a size.

Eh i barely tie my skates at all (G3s) and I can whip in them. As far as forechecking goes, your first mistake, disregarding equipment is going straight at the guy. Angling is MUCH more effective. If im playing D, and you come straight at me, your getting danced 99% of them time. Angling gives them one option, straight on gives two.

Eh i barely tie my skates at all (G3s) and I can whip in them. As far as forechecking goes, your first mistake, disregarding equipment is going straight at the guy. Angling is MUCH more effective. If im playing D, and you come straight at me, your getting danced 99% of them time. Angling gives them one option, straight on gives two.

thanks Cavs. Angling is something to think about and work on. I usually try to guess where the dguy is going to pass and I look at their eyes to see if I can anticipate where they are going to pass. But then again I don't want to race after them if they want to scoot by me all the time.

And to my question. go half or a full size down?

Most likely half, but try on skates until they're too small then go back up a half size.

Take the footbed out of the skates you own. See how much room is showing from your toes to the end of the footbed. That will tell you everything you need to know about where your feet are fitting inside the boot. we do this all the time in the shop when fitting. It cuts down on "I want a skate with some growing room, etc. " bs. I refuse to sell a skate to big that Jr that will have a problem in and then the 'rents want to blame us for selling them the wrong size. If you are looking at 1/4" or more skates are too big. Closer to edge of footbed is best.

lacing up skates is individual preference. I have guys I know who played D-1 who each lace their skates differently. One guy is snug tight the whole boot, another guy is wicked loose through the middle and only makes the top 2 eyelets tight to lock in the ankle. Try a couple of different ways to find the best one for you.

That happened to me when I played with a sprained ankle that happened to me so I think it must have something to do with the amount of weight you put on your ankle/foot area.

The only dancing is the home team crowd when you get laid out... :D ;)

These days my V-12's are so broken down that I can't tie them tight without hurting bad. So the stiffness is completely gone and I can't tie them tight. I'm not getting wobbling in them, so I doubt the problem is the tightness.

It was mentioned in the thread about taping around the ankle with the skate, and the fact that a wobble board might be good for your ankle balance on skates if that is the problem.

Take the footbed out of the skates you own. See how much room is showing from your toes to the end of the footbed. That will tell you everything you need to know about where your feet are fitting inside the boot. we do this all the time in the shop when fitting. It cuts down on "I want a skate with some growing room, etc. " bs. I refuse to sell a skate to big that Jr that will have a problem in and then the 'rents want to blame us for selling them the wrong size. If you are looking at 1/4" or more skates are too big. Closer to edge of footbed is best.

So I took the foot beds out and got my ruler out. I put the foot bed down and and measured the distance from the edge of the footbed to the toes. The difference is about 1/2". I guess I can go to a size 7 CCM from a size 8.

I would definitely try that size next. When you are in the shop, pull out the footbeds yourself and see if the sales guy knows what you are doing!!

Half inch is way too much room up front. 1/8" between half sizes so you know.

its also possible your blade might be bent. when i got my xxs my blade was bent, i didnt want to pay 15$ to get it fixed so i skated with it, and you could feel it, i paid for it the next day. see if theyre straight

It could also be that one of your rivets is loose, because one of my skates got ral wobbly once and it was that the rivet got really lose and eventually fell out. So check that.