Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sonsplayhockey

Proper aiming on a slap shot

What is the proper tecnique for lifting the puck up on a wrist or slap shot? Is it how you hold the stick and the angle the blade makes as it contacts the ice or in the follow thru?

I wish there was a website with a slo mo video or pictures

Aim is all about your weight transfer and follow-thru. Start on your back leg, build up power, then finish. As for your follow-thru, make sure that you aim the blade where you want to shoot. You have to get to know your curve, E.g if you are following through by aiming at the top quarter of the net, and your shot is going over, lower, and vice-versa.

In the end it is all about practice. Shoot around in your driveway/basement and get used to where you want to aim/shoot. It'll be easy stuff after a few months.

I find the follow through helps direct the puck where you want it to go. Point your stick in the follow through to your target.

I keep my blade more over so it like cups over the puck a little.

Ditto to L15 (in regards to a little cuppage).

Essentially, I twist the shaft in my hand a tad, so that the square part of the shaft is in the "fat of the thumb". I.E., between the thumb's knuckle and where it meets the hand. l<

I make sure the edge of the blade lands about an inch behind the puck (yes, behind) on the ice. My rear leg is extended behind me so I'm sort of tripodding with the bulk of my weight on the stick/ice. The weight and follow through will cause the stick to snap upwards (giving the puck lift). Because of the way I hold the shaft, the "cupping" action occurs (also adding to the lift, and partially helping "center" the puck on the blade). Of course, this is hard on the blade (I guess what slapshots aren't?). But I have noticed that if the blade doesn't flat out break, I often get stress fractures parrallel to the bottom of the blade that is exactly as tall as the puck (so, the top edge of the puck might cause cracking along the blade with this method).

Then, it's a matter of hoping you get the sweet spot of the blade (I find the blade characteristics greatly effect my shot as my technique is more dependant on part prayer and part weight transfer - I can't use an open faced heel curve for instance as I'll end up hitting the scoreboard) and aim.

SO, presuming you hit the sweet spot, it's about pointing the tip of the stick to where you want the puck to go. Be careful not to roll your wrists while pointing, or you will lose some power on the shot as well as cause the puck to flutter and/or roll (of course, Mighty Duck Movie fans will like the knuckle-puck I suppose.....).

Also, because of this method (Brett Hull uses a more profound science and technique utilizing the stick and perfect connection with the puck. I use the sledgehammer type approach) accuracy can suffer. Since you're being dependent on the stick as being part of your support (i.e., so you don't tip over), it's hard sometimes (especially when one-timing in flight) not to have an exaggerated follow through so that your momentum will get your rear leg back under you and your won't fall/topple on your rear leg's knee.

AT LEAST, that's my take. Again, I'm no expert (I just play one on the internet). ;)

Can anyone describe or illustrate puck position relative to my feet?

Should the puck be centered between my feet or towards the back foot?

I guess the question is how can I tell that the puck position is correct?

Any way to gauge it based on position of where I comfortably dribble the puck?

I was out practicing my slap shot during lunch shooting off a shelf board I had. Seems that I needed to move the puck backwards towards my back leg to get more power and lift. I'm lacking in consistancy right now as I fiddle with position. Any help?

Optimal position for me is just forward of my back foot, similar to where I hit an 8 iron. I catch just a little bit of ice before the puck and I can feel the stick bend. At that point, I really drive through off my back leg and to the target. I generally go high or low, left or right on slappers. I don't have as much accuracy as I would like but I can at least create a rebound opportunity for my linemates.