Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predshockey17

Justin quick ?

I was playing with my Nike woodie stick and it got me thinking. I use to own some Mission woodies a few years ago. Awesome sticks that is for sure. Why did you guys stop making them?

I think it's been discussed on here that wood sticks account for a small portion of stick sales, and dwindling. I wonder though. When a sales department looks at the numbers, do they look at total dollars sold or total number of sticks sold. Because if you look at dollars, composite sticks cost more, so the dollar amount will look higher. But I bet they still sell a decent amount of woodies still.

From what I hear, composites have a MUCH bigger profit margin.

It just kind of shows what companies are interested in profit or customer satisfaction, although Mission excels in most the the products it makes.

Yea I remember the mission wooden sticks. I had one a long time ago. I agree though pro shops keep more one piece in stock then wooden sticks probably because of the profit. Since you can get a wooden stick for 20-30 dollars and some one piece sticks can be as much as 200 dollars a pop. I know that some people though love the feel of wooden sticks over shafts and one piece. I never really owned a wooden stick but I like the feel better then the sticks that I use know but the closest to wood I think is the tour Beemer stick. I don’t own one my self but barrowed someone’s and it seemed to feel like a wooden stick to me. But that’s just my view.

I agree though pro shops keep more one piece in stock then wooden sticks probably because of the profit. Since you can get a wooden stick for 20-30 dollars and some one piece sticks can be as much as 200 dollars a pop. I know that some people though love the feel of wooden sticks over shafts and one piece. I never really owned a wooden stick but I like the feel better then the sticks that I use know but the closest to wood I think is the tour Beemer stick. I don’t own one my self but barrowed someone’s and it seemed to feel like a wooden stick to me. But that’s just my view.

Not even close to be correct. Shops generally make the same percentage on wood or composite sticks. Wood sticks break and need to be replaced more often than composites so the overall profit is about the same in the long run.

Shops, like mine, stock more composites because kids buy them more than wood sticks. We probably sold 10 OPS for every wood stick we sold last year. You even help prove my point by saying you have never owned a wood stick.

Not even close to be correct. Shops generally make the same percentage on wood or composite sticks.

Ah yes, but the MANUFACTURERS are make are making a massive profit on the composites I bet. I think it's been said here before that it costs less than $20 to make a composite stick (not taking into account R&D).

Not even close to be correct. Shops generally make the same percentage on wood or composite sticks.

Ah yes, but the MANUFACTURERS are make are making a massive profit on the composites I bet. I think it's been said here before that it costs less than $20 to make a composite stick (not taking into account R&D).

It's been said - however never confirmed and most likely not true.

I will say that the markup on OPS's is insane. That being said the markup on woodies is almost directly proportional as chadd has pointed out.

Ex) OPS A sells for $149 usd, dealer cost is approx $100usd. Wood stick A sells for $15 usd, dealer cost is approx $10 usd.

Yeah markup % may be the same for woods and comps. but the overall dollar value is much greater. Wood nets roughly $5-$10 profit, where comp nets roughly $50 and higher profit...you do the math! Now you can see why stores offer more comps then woods, plus as Chadd mentioned, demand is greater for comps.

it also helps that a lot of little kids who could use a plastic stick and get the same result force their parents to dish out 300 for a composite stick and a lot of the parents Ive seen actually do it. Little kids want what the pros want and so theyll willing to spend the money unlike mature players who actually get an advantage with a composite stick. As for the guarantee of a lifetime youll get out of a composite that sint true at all because one good slash on the shaft and the next time you go for a slapshot itll snap.

Are the little kids sticks even tapered or anything? Do they have the same design specs as a top of the line? Is a Jr SL the same as a Sr SL, I guess that's my question. I agree. There is no way a little guy that weighs 60lbs can get the full use of an SL.

Another way to look at it is - Could you ever see then making a wood stick that costs $200??

I couldn't...

Since the OPS are made of high tech & innovative materials, they can charge alot for them - i would guess that they at least make a little more money off composite sticks they sell for $200.

As for the guarantee of a lifetime youll get out of a composite that sint true at all because one good slash on the shaft and the next time you go for a slapshot itll snap.

Garauntee on the lifetime of the stick, not a Garauntee the stick will last your life time! With Woods, you buy'em, they break, you buy another. Composites have a 30 day warranty, some companies are adding an additional 15 days to that. I know I had issues with Woods last 2-3 skates. Keep in mind I haven't used wood in the last 5 years. I was between 12-15 at this point, so I'd hate to see what my bill would be like now. I know some other members have switched to OPS/ Shafts because of the durability problems they had with woods. Composites seem to get alot of bad press for durability, but alot of people use them with good performance and durability results.

If you want to only consider actual raw materials, that may be true. However you have to provide for the plant to produce them, warehousing, production equipment costs and operating expenses, employee wages, shipping, R&D, marketing and warranty replacement cost.

Using the same logic, a car should only cost $1000.

i guess they are more durable with the warranty and with the new technology today im sure the prices will come down eventually. with people having developed something that rebonds the shaft and cracks the sticks can now be used until you get sick of them. i guess thats another advantage over wood as once wood is done its done. but im a goalie so i guess none of this really matters to me cuz my sticks have always and will always be around 70 bucks.

***OFF-TOPIC***

Justin, do you read PM's sent through these boards? I send you a message but I'm afraid you don't use this functionality...

Tim (The Dutchman)

If you want to only consider actual raw materials, that may be true. However you have to provide for the plant to produce them, warehousing, production equipment costs and operating expenses, employee wages, shipping, R&D, marketing and warranty replacement cost.

Using the same logic, a car should only cost $1000.

I understand exactly what you are saying, but it would seem that a wood stick is way more labor intensive (ie. cutting, sanding, gluing, shaping blade, ect...) than a OPS which just gets poured (and or fused). A lot less waste too as there is not a bunch of wood on the floor after making a composite. Same employee costs too. JMHO for what it's worth (which may not be much ;) )

I guess there would be higher r&d costs involved which would add to the cost. Wood sticks will and always be virtually the same but for composite sticks you have to pay scientists and crap to develop thse products and new technologies.

There are not huge mark ups on Composite sticks...I am pretty sure we discussed this on the board before....That I can assure you...As for the $20 cost of goods, not even close...Keep trying there...