Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

akhockey

Stick Engineer

Ok I got to thinking about sticks and the people that design and engineer them. I was wondering what kind of degree you would have to get to do something of that sort. My guess was a degree in Chemistry and Physics. What do you all think? Im wondering this, because I think it would be pretty cool to design sticks for hockey companies.

Mechanical engineering or equivalent bachelors of science would be your best bet. Mech. eng. programs have chemistry and physics courses in first year. CAD, material sciences, various math courses, thermodynamics, amongst others come later.

It really depends which part of the process you want to be involved with. depending on whether you wnat the pre or post production i'm sure things may differ slightly.

But a good bet would be some kind of envolement with the materials, so a degree in Metallurgy, or some places even offer degrees in materials and sport science.

I'd guess a combination of Materials and Mechanical would be nice. I've never heard of a composite tech degree, but I'm not sure there's something like that at certain schools.

As a Principal Engineer (Chemical Engineering major) for a medical device manufacturer, here is my 2 cents: As far as disciplines with universally accepted degrees, Mechanical Engineering (BSME) will be your closest, with Chemical Engineering second. There are areas of focus within each of these disciplines like Materials Processing (extrusion, injection molding, compression molding and casting that would also be particularly helpful. One example is Callaway golf; they typically hire M.E.s and Chem. E.s for their club and ball R&D programs.