Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Norm

Position skills

In most team sports each postion requires different skill levels even when the skills are common to all players. For instance, in baseball even though everyone hits, runs, and throws a second baseman has a different set of skill level than a centerfielder. I bought a book to learn more about hockey play, but I can't seem to find a desciption of the skill levels for the different hockey positions.

Given that the goalie has very unique skills (like the pitcher in baseball) what are the skills that make each position unique?

No fair saying that they all have to be strong in everything, unless you make the arguement that players are all the same and could play any position at any time.

Thanks!

One obvious difference is defensemen need to be strong skating backwards. Also, they tend to need more strength since they're wrestling in front of the net often.

In addition to skating backwards, mastering the low slapshot is crucial for a solid defensemen. As a forward, I find that quick hands and good body positioning are also extremely helpful in the corners/areas with little real estate to work with.

If you're a center, a brain always helps. Positioning is so key. Unlike a winger or a defenseman, a center doesn't really have a "set" assignment, so he must put himself in a position where he feels he is most likely to cause or prevent damage, which could be just about anywhere on the ice. Eventually, it gets to a point where it gets to be a "feel" thing, more instinct than anything else; but, I still find it necessary to take the occasional look over the shoulder to check out who's coming in late or breaking into the slot...

As a winger you don't want to be "glued" to the points, just in the area where they cannot get behind you and or open for a pass. In other words, you always want your stick in the passing lane. In the offensive end I always look for wingers glued to my defensemen because its basically a free ride to walk out of the corner, along the top of the circle and snipe one. (righty shot comming out of the left corner)

In addition to skating backwards, mastering the low slapshot is crucial for a solid defensemen. As a forward, I find that quick hands and good body positioning are also extremely helpful in the corners/areas with little real estate to work with.

What you said for defense and maybe good ice vision.( that should be a given for any position though.)

I always found that it was crucial for defensemen to have good ice vision. Centers are followed closely, but can be limited in their responsibilities. D need to be able to read whats going on. Everyone does, but not to that extent. Centers need to be well conditioned and able to quickly adapt, I always liked the "you're center should be busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking competition" comment.

Someone else posted this list on another board. Sounds like what you want:

"Defenseman:

1.) Very Intelligent and coachable - defense positon requires a strong understanding of position in all three zones.

2.) Disciplined with good self-control (easy to get "sucked" out of position)

3.) Good understanding for the transition of the game from offense to defense

4.) Big is good but not a necessity at the age you mention

5.) Comfortable under pressure - D players have no one to bail them out if they make mistakes.

6.) Really good vision of the ice (means they must be able to skate with the puck with their heads-up and be able to recognize where the pressure is coming from).

7.) All the qualities for Frowards mentioned below with somewhat less emphasis.

Forwards:

1.) Speed

2.) Aggressiveness

3.) Tenacity

4.) All of the qualities above but with slightly less emphasis.

5.) Each forward position could have several different type players and in fact, should have different type players (playmaker, scorer, checker, etc.)...different roles if you will. This will determine what skills are most important for that type player so I can't be real spacific here with the forwards."

it's hard to say because there is sub-specialization within each position. think of football - the difference between say, a running back that uses his quickness and agility, and a back who uses his strength to run over tacklers. they play the same position, but it's a pretty different skill set.

ideally, yeah, you should be able to play all five positions. you might not excel in all five, but you should be competent. it's rare for a second baseman to ever have to switch to outfield in the middle of an inning, but in hockey that happens all the time, and you have to be able to.

backwards skating is the most obvious positional skill. if you cannot skate backwards, DO NOT PLAY DEFENSE (this is directed toward one of the guys on my last intramural team in particular). other than that, it's just knowing your role, really.

-k

Norm, how good of a book is that in teaching position strategy and game scenerios?

BTW,

Our team has guys of all sorts, large, small, fast, slow(the big guys). We have them all over the place, we try to keep 1 big and 1 fast defenseman on the ice as well as at least 1 fas and 1 big forward on the ice at all times. Big guys are usually in front of thier net or clearing ours. Our fast defencement play aggressive D typically as they can usually catch up on an opposing breakaway.

It's hard to give examples of specific skills, because everyone player plays the game differently. Obvious skills such as shooting, vision, passing, skating, are the simple ones. But what about Sergei Samsonov compared to Todd Bertuzzi? They obviously have different which is why you would need one on every team.

For me, I need my forward speed, hands (tipping, dangling, shooting), vision, and hockey sense. My d isn't exactly Selke and my neutral zone is lax so I have to be good in the O zone. Different strokes for different folks

Norm, how good of a book is that in teaching position strategy and game scenerios?

Can't really say. I'm so new to the sport that I wouldn't know a good hockey book if it was taking a whiz on my hush puppies. Growing up I played football (which always had set plays and responsibilities, wrestled (which was very dynamic, but individual), and pole vaulted (which was just excuse to lay on the big mats, get a tan, and check out girls). Hockey isn't just a new sport for me, its a whole new type of sport.

Another question:

Knowing what you know now, if you were just starting and had to choose between a "Learn To Play" class and a "C" league with friends which would you choose? They just had to be on the same night, didn't they?

PS: Thanks for all the great info!!

I'd definately go with the "C" league. I know it's good to get how to know the game, and taking a class, but the best way to improve is by playing hockey. Also, if you're going to be with your friends, you'll have more fun, and that's what hockey is all about.

If they are at different times on the same night, could you do both?

If not, I would do the "Learn to Play" and then sub for the C-league team (I'm assuming that the "Learn to Play" will be finished before the league). Theoretically you wouldn't have as many inadvisable habits ingrained, and you would have a framework for understanding and seeing the game from a player's perspective.

If they are at different times on the same night, could you do both?

If not, I would do the "Learn to Play" and then sub for the C-league team (I'm assuming that the "Learn to Play" will be finished before the league). Theoretically you wouldn't have as many inadvisable habits ingrained, and you would have a framework for understanding and seeing the game from a player's perspective.

They're at the same time for all intents and purposes and the class hits right in the "meat" of the league. The thing about the league is that its a group of guys and gals that just wanna have fun and gear up for the fall leauge. And plus they're really scraping for players, so hopefully I won't spend the whole time riding the pine. I think I'll just have to wait and see the schedule. According to the leader of the team the league will be once a week, sometimes on Mondays and sometimes on Thursdays. The class is only Thursdays. Hopefully I can just do both and maybe only miss 2 or 3 games.