Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jordan6969

How not to get dangled?

I'll agree and say Gap control, keep square with them. As for hte cross-overs, learn how to do them properly. As a D, I can use my cross-overs in almost any situation, my skating is strong enough to keep up with the fastest forwards I've played against and I can use the to cut off the gap and keep up.

A good skater will eat a cross over defensemen every time. Chelios, Lidstrom, etcx, never get burned because they never cross over. This is basically what the Sharks skating coach said to me when I worked with him for a week. You can gain a ton of speed with deep C-Cuts anyway.

Once you're up to speed, that works but even the best use crossovers to get up to top speed going backwards.

Also, put your stick between the forward's legs to steer him whichever way you want him to go. He cannot go anywhere outside of your radius of defence because he cannot crossover. The is a very slim chance you may be called for tripping, but I've never seen it happen.

If you put your stick in his feet and he goes down, it's a penalty.

This just in, the sun rises in the east, water is wet, and the earth revolve around the sun. More news later.

Also, put your stick between the forward's legs to steer him whichever way you want him to go. He cannot go anywhere outside of your radius of defence because he cannot crossover. The is a very slim chance you may be called for tripping, but I've never seen it happen.

This just in, the sun rises in the east, water is wet, and the earth revolve around the sun. More news later.

Just trying to explain why that is a bad move. If someone does that to me I keep moving my feet and they go to the box. Any reasonably smart player would do the same. There's a reason McCabe went to the box for it about 25 times a couple years ago.

Rarely in one on ones does anyone ever come in on me in a position to use C-Cuts only. You need them to cut the boards and keep up as they go cross ice. C-Cuts are ideal in a situation where they aren't moving, or staying fairly straight, but it doesn't happen much for me. Also I find it easier to keep up with changing speeds using corss overs.

If you go stick between the legs, keep it in the air a bit. This helps control the player and keeps penalties down as he can't step on it.

I know that cross overs are easy to do, but an NHL d-man won't use them, unless they are getting beat and are desperate. I was working with Team Canada's WJC skating coach last week and as we were doing C-cuts she preached that in backwards skating (I'm a forward, BTW) that you shouldn't cross over because it moves all of your balance to one side temporarily, which is when a good forward will attack. C-cuts are just money, they work just as well and if you maximize your stride and toe flick, then your C-cuts will be just as effective as crossovers. Even the best skaters recovery time won't be quick enough. Just my 2 cents.

i try to take the inside edge of the player to make sure he cant take the middle, since im solid on my skates but not all that quick laterally. if they go wide they usually are at a crappy angle because im tall and they have to go WAY wide not to get poked. like chad said, most try to go to the middle anyway, regardless of my positioning. makes it easier when they come right at you.

not if he is in front of you still, and it looks like he just stepped on your stick that you were holding with one hand. i rarely see guys get called for this, they just act like it was an accident and get away with it.

Hahaha is this Big Bear officiating Opus? I have tried that and gotten called but with my travel team, I have gotten away with it. There is one ref there that just drives me nuts. He'll call me for interference when I stand a guy up at the blue line and of course the player's head is down the whole time so it looks worse than what it is.

Thanks Sherwood, so we now have the San Jose Sharks skating coach along with Canada's WJC skating coach saying that crossovers are a no-no.

Cavs and Sherwood, Sylvain Lefevbre told me the samething than you said.

As for me, I tend to watch the player in his eyes because he will watch you and will be intimidate if he see you are in possesion of you body, in other word, if he sees that you are calm in your eyes he will be nervous and easy to stop, that's what I do even against high level players and it does work very very well.

As for me, I tend to watch the player in his eyes because he will watch you and will be intimidate if he see you are in possesion of you body, in other word, if he sees that you are calm in your eyes he will be nervous and easy to stop, that's what I do even against high level players and it does work very very well.

That wouldn't work on me, Kovy.

I'm too busy watchting the puck to make sure it's still there. :P (Non-check of course.... :huh: )

That wouldn't work on me, Kovy.

I'm too busy watchting the puck to make sure it's still there. :P (Non-check of course.... :huh: )

This would still work because even those players like you who watch the puck can see that I watch them so they look at me for a second and lose the puck, lol but not a joke. :lol:

Since when is it a penaltyid you put your stick in between someones legs and they fall? I've been playing defense for about 11 years now, that move has become my bread and butter. I think its a lot more effective than a poke check, because you can contain the forwards body. I also think its less risky than a poke check becasue if you miss at least you'll get a piece of the forward, maybe enough to bump him off the puck. Well, thats just my 2 cents.

Putting the stick between the legs is called the "Can Opener" and it was Bryan McCabe's specialty in the NHL. I hate it when it is done to me especially when they steer me into the boards or when I go near the boards.

Is it a real penalty in drop in? ;)

Also hate it when I am going around the dman in their end and as I am going around him, he grabs onto my top hand on my stick and spins me around. Is there any way to manhandle a defensemen like Mario? Just the forearm and push him aside?

My opinion - the 2 minutes is worth the hassle, just make it a 'honor roll' hit. They'll remember! I've been on both ends of the scenario.

Use your stick to your advantage. Poke checks are more effective than sweep checks, keep your stick in tight to your body until the right moment appears.

As for C-cuts vs cross-overs... do what's comfortable, but be aware of your abilities as well as the puck carriers. If you see his tail lights, maybe try something else!

Since when is it a penaltyid you put your stick in between someones legs and they fall? I've been playing defense for about 11 years now, that move has become my bread and butter. I think its a lot more effective than a poke check, because you can contain the forwards body. I also think its less risky than a poke check becasue if you miss at least you'll get a piece of the forward, maybe enough to bump him off the puck. Well, thats just my 2 cents.

If the guy keeps striding and goes down it's a penalty. You must be getting the refs who don't like to use their whistle unless there's blood. It's nice of them to let you cheat like that.

Use your stick to your advantage. Poke checks are more effective than sweep checks, keep your stick in tight to your body until the right moment appears.

I like to go with the poke around the blue line that way you can create an offside situation. I do rely on sweep checks a lot but as often as not it just throws the puck in the corner ahead of the forward.

Putting the stick between the legs is called the "Can Opener" and it was Bryan McCabe's specialty in the NHL. I hate it when it is done to me especially when they steer me into the boards or when I go near the boards.

Is it a real penalty in drop in? wink.gif

No but they better not complain when I "trip" on their stick and break it when I fall.

The forward shouldn't be letting the D-man get his stick between his legs, at that stage, he should already be unsquared with the d-man, or be about to blow by him. I don't see a problem with it not being a penalty, as you shouldn't even be right in front of the D man.

In New England Junior hockey, they have been calling the stick between the legs all year long. Part of the no-obstruction reffing inititative fiasco. I think it has been technically illegal all along, just was never called before. In fact, I have one instructional video where it is shown as a routine defenseman's move.

I think it has been technically illegal all along, just was never called before.

That's what I was trying to say.

That is just hilarious. Psyching the guy out with the stern look of confidence.

Not sure what is funnier, what you said, or the fact that you seem to be serious.

Keep your stick close to your body, then as the puck-handler gets close to you , go for the quick poke-check. The dangler will get closer to you if he doesn't see your blade way out in front of you. Watch Scott Stevens do this, he is a master of keeping the stick close and poke-checking once you get close to him.

Not sure what is funnier, what you said, or the fact that you seem to be serious.

Look, I'm giving this by my own experience and if you are not happy with that SHUT YOUr MOUTH ok. You are annoying.

Look, I'm giving this by my own experience and if you are not happy with that SHUT YOUr MOUTH ok. You are annoying.

Whatever. Just please don't hit me with that confident gaze. I might lose control of the puck.

no that actually works but not always. if u look them in the eyes and are calm they will probably get nervous unless theyre extreamly good. i play defence but whenever i go 1on1 with someone and i have the puck i get nervous when that happens and i usually lose the puck :mellow: