Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

delpiero27

London 07-07-2005

true, there was terrorism before, but that was also due to our foreign policy in Palestine, and Afghanistan... people don't attack without cause... We did something to provoke 9-11, we pissed people off.

You right to a extent, I don't like the cause to be on something a goverment did. Don't blame the people that where on the bus, or in the towers. They terrorist are the one's that pulled the trigger, or crashed the plane. The people that die in these attacks have nothing to do with foreign policy, they where just trying to go to work or school. They same thing we all do every day.

Oh yea I completely agree, the innocent victims have no guilt, but it is the government's responsibility to look out for the safety of its citizens... Today is a clear indication that the citizens of so called allied countries on this war in Iraq are not safe..

people dont realize that the war in Iraq is what fuels terrorism, you actually think today's attack would have happened if it wasn't for the British support for the war. Trying to fight terrorism with an army is like fighting a ghost...it can only be placated through political policy..Bush is an idiot and doesn't see this, he's only making the world an unsafer place, and now we're starting to see the products of the hatred he has bred.

Good point, I'm with you on that one.

Very sad for everyone...

If anything, this just seems to justify the war(s) even more, at least for me. I don't think that anybody in their right mind would agree that this is acceptable behavior, and I really don't get how it could change anybody's feelings about the war. People who were previously against the war will spin this and say "look what we've caused", which is such a completely bullshit attitude, and it is completely disrespectful to everybody affected by the attack. But at the same time, the pro war people will quote this as more justification. If it was Al Qaeda, they obviously want the British to stop fighting. Any country who would back out of a war because they were attacked like this is wrong. Britian isn't going to do that. I don't know how many of you saw Blair's speech, I only caught part of it, but I was impressed. Same goes for the London mayor's. He had a really good point- the people who were attacked aren't the powerful ones who are going to change things. Its the innocent that are hurt.

Its a truly sad situation and its very unfortunate that it had to happen. Thankfully there weren't as many casualties as there have been in previous attacks. But whats really unfortunate is how both sides on the political spectrum will spin this for their favor.

people dont realize that the war in Iraq is what fuels terrorism, you actually think today's attack would have happened if it wasn't for the British support for the war. Trying to fight terrorism with an army is like fighting a ghost...it can only be placated through political policy..Bush is an idiot and doesn't see this, he's only making the world an unsafer place, and now we're starting to see the products of the hatred he has bred.

One could say that the people that founded the US were terrorist....nonetheless the fact that the US invaded Iraq really doesn't cut the mustard as to why this occured. The catalyst to this current situation was around the time that the state of Israel was created. The claim that Bush started this is also ludacris....Clinton was in office when the bombings of the US Embassies in Africa, The USS Cole, and the towers in saudi arabia. While Bush may have caused a deep resentment in the middle east, it's not like this just started yesterday.

If anything, this just seems to justify the war(s) even more, at least for me. I don't think that anybody in their right mind would agree that this is acceptable behavior, and I really don't get how it could change anybody's feelings about the war. People who were previously against the war will spin this and say "look what we've caused", which is such a completely bullshit attitude, and it is completely disrespectful to everybody affected by the attack. But at the same time, the pro war people will quote this as more justification. If it was Al Qaeda, they obviously want the British to stop fighting. Any country who would back out of a war because they were attacked like this is wrong. Britian isn't going to do that. I don't know how many of you saw Blair's speech, I only caught part of it, but I was impressed. Same goes for the London mayor's. He had a really good point- the people who were attacked aren't the powerful ones who are going to change things. Its the innocent that are hurt.

Its a truly sad situation and its very unfortunate that it had to happen. Thankfully there weren't as many casualties as there have been in previous attacks. But whats really unfortunate is how both sides on the political spectrum will spin this for their favor.

Well your logic seems to be correct, but recall the Madrid train bombings of last year. Aznar, the PM at the time, was voted out of office and the countries' troops pulled out of Iraq or Afghanistan was one of the keys to victory for the opposing party.

Fuck those fuckers though, as far as I'm concerned all my plans there are a go regardless of what's happening.

"i wont have my itinerary dictated to my by terrorists" eh,

gopens67: if you go far back enough there's always something else to blame, ie england for dividing and setting boarders for middle eastern countries..

i duno, im pretty split on the war, and the results. im all for removing terrorist fueling dictators/countries, but i dunt know if it was for the right reasons.

maybe the us should look farther eastward to north k or china. the communist party in china have killed around 80 million chinese people in its 56 yr history, more than hitler and stalin combined; now that's state ran terrorism. but then oh yes, world economics dictate the way politic are shaped, thus china's a big no no.

why haven't they found mr. bin laden yet? he deserves a good mob stoning.

If anything, this just seems to justify the war(s) even more, at least for me. I don't think that anybody in their right mind would agree that this is acceptable behavior, and I really don't get how it could change anybody's feelings about the war.  People who were previously against the war will spin this and say "look what we've caused", which is such a completely bullshit attitude, and it is completely disrespectful to everybody affected by the attack.  But at the same time, the pro war people will quote this as more justification.  If it was Al Qaeda, they obviously want the British to stop fighting.  Any country who would back out of a war because they were attacked like this is wrong.  Britian isn't going to do that.  I don't know how many of you saw Blair's speech, I only caught part of it, but I was impressed.  Same goes for the London mayor's.  He had a really good point- the people who were attacked aren't the powerful ones who are going to change things.  Its the innocent that are hurt.

Its a truly sad situation and its very unfortunate that it had to happen.  Thankfully there weren't as many casualties as there have been in previous attacks.  But whats really unfortunate is how both sides on the political spectrum will spin this for their favor.

Well your logic seems to be correct, but recall the Madrid train bombings of last year. Aznar, the PM at the time, was voted out of office and the countries' troops pulled out of Iraq or Afghanistan was one of the keys to victory for the opposing party.

I don't know too much about Spain and their whole situation in the war. But I do remember hearing at the time of the attacks that there were significant movements within the government to take themselves out of the war in place already, and the attacks just solidified it.

Fuck those fuckers though, as far as I'm concerned all my plans there are a go regardless of what's happening.

"i wont have my itinerary dictated to my by terrorists" eh,

As long as Oxegen's still on, I'm still there. If not, I'd just go see family and get pissed at our pub.

For anyone who doesnt see a parallel between the war ,other past foreign policies which have clearly neglected the rights and lives of many middle eastern people, and terrorism, I simply disagree. When people are thrown out of their homes by Israeli demolition squads funded by the U.S., innocent families are bombed in Iraq by the U.S., when we had U.S. troops stationed in Saudia Arabia we pissed people off.

The more family members that die the more suicide bombers emerge.. We are simply creating a generation of terrorists with our so called "War on Terror" which simply after four years has led to what type of security?

Terrorism is an ideology, it is spread throughout the world, not just in Iraq and Afghanistan. Islam is the world's 2nd largest religion, thats alot of people from alot of very different countries. Islam is a peaceful religion but like every other religion, it has its fanatics. Taking an army and trying to fight a ghost in 1 or 2 countries is not going to fix anything. The only way to combat this IDEOLOGY is with foreign policy NOT WITH SOME INSIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF CASUALTIES that overall might bring some short term gains, but long term does nothing and most likely makes things worse.

The only thing that will ever stop the terrorism is giving people in those countries more of a reason to live than a reason to die. Religion is most popular with those who have nothing and are hoping for something better when they die or with those who have everything and want to take it with them. The abject poverty many of those in the middle east live in is as much a factor as any other. Those countries should be shutting down the religious schools who only teach hatred and violence, not condoning them. However there is no centralized educational system like we have. Islam has a much greater share of fanatics than any other major religion, mostly due to the lack of organization of the faith. Any idividual Imam or Mullah can say whatever he wants without any backlash from a central church.

The only way foreign policy will ever change that area is if every western nation stops buying oil and providing money to those who fund terrorism.

As long as there has been recorded history there has been unrest in the middle east. It has always been about religeous ideology wheter it was the crusades, the creation of the Jewish homeland, etc..... The region has always been volatile. With quick cheap transportation it was only a matter of time until it came to the US, and now Britain. I am not condoning any of the actions at all, just saying it's been around alot longer than 9-11. Now it's just coming home to us.

My daughter was only 2 months old when the trade center went down and all I could think about was "what kind of world will this be for her?"

My prayers go out to the mothers, fathers, sons and daughters of Great Britain.

Possibly. The turn-around time was a bit quick for that kind of attack. I am thiking its more to do with the summit.

Possibly. The turn-around time was a bit quick for that kind of attack. I am thiking its more to do with the summit.

You're most likely right.

first off i don't condone this type of political gain.

the Koran doesn't teach terrorism. islam in general is very peaceful. but as others have said the few radicals are the ones who seem to be in control.

what i don't understand is how can the iraqi people hate america so much. would they rather go back to fearing walking down the street. the fear of being sent to jail, and killed? i know i would not want to live that way.

further on the bible. throught out its writtings there has been war. the stage has been set for the return of hte messiah. isreal became a nation in 1949, the first step. there are still many thing to happen. islam and christianity have been fighting for many centuries. the biggest belief for islam is that aberaham was sacrificing ismal and the bible says it was issac. if you were to get into a debate with an islamic person they would say that they are god's chosen people.

the main reason why we won't go into china with guns blazing is because of the finincial gains that are to be made there. more and more products are being made there and sold in the states. ford, gm and chrysler all plan to make a compact car there. where will it be sold? you guessed it right here at your local ford, gm or chrysler dealer. only chrysler has openly stated this.

did anyone see 30 days on fx when they had had a christian live as a muslim?

was unable to all of it. but i did see the end. i agree that muslims are being profiled by hte majority of americans. i do not intend to sterotype anyone this is a general statement. it is unjust how a few radicals can change the outlook of so many.

the biggest belief for islam is that aberaham was sacrificing ismal and the bible says it was issac. if you were to get into a debate with an islamic person they would say that they are god's chosen people.

That is a controversy between the 2 religions but that is far from the biggest belief in Islam. The biggest is belief in one god and that muhammad is the last prophet. Concerning being chosen people, its not at all comparable to Jews who are one race for the most part as being a chosen people....Islam is considered a religion for all mankind.

maybe the us should look farther eastward to north k or china.  the communist party in china have killed around 80 million chinese people in its 56 yr history, more than hitler and stalin combined; now that's state ran terrorism.  but then oh yes, world economics dictate the way politic are shaped, thus china's a big no no.

Why China? They out number America like 7 to 1. Tring to fight them would be like jumping into shark infested waters with your wrists slit.

I guess I don't understand why people are suggesting we fight China. If the sole reason we went to war was because of past actions by a country, what country wouldn't we be fighting? China has a real bad past, but as far as we know things aren't nearly as bad there now. Plus, their politicians will work with ours, which is far more than you can say for N. Korea, Iraq, Iran, ect.

Ponty is right. London just got the Olympic bid yesterday, and an attack such as this one takes weeks and weeks, if not months of planning to conduct.

I'm not going to state right or wrong, because that's not really the point. I will say that I spent a lot of my childhood just 10 blocks away from the Trade Center, so 9/11 had a major impact on an up front, personal level for me.

Right after 9/11 (and thankfully a whole lot less now), the thing that angered me most was seeing all these "instant patriots" who have never been outside of their own state, needless to say around the world run around saying how they were going to enlist and "Kill all them A-rabs for the U-S of A.", etc. People who would look more closely at their dinner menu if you were to ask them what they thought of the Koran. Yes, 9/11 should have angered all Americans. But one thing that would be beneficial to many is to understand our "enemies" and their points of view. It may not deter war, but in that case, knowing your enemy is the first step in winning a war. Not once did I hear anyone pondering why Al Qaeda attacked us. That really troubled me. All they seemed to want to talk about was how many towel heads they were going to kill. Well guess what, I don't care how well trained a soldier you are, or how good your cause is. Bullets kill good soldiers and bad soldiers, good and evil, just the same. My guess is a lot of them didn't really understand what they were getting into until they first saw a human die in front of them. And it's funny how the reality of death and an increasingly unpopular cause can change a lot of minds about enlisting, almost 4 years later and the adrenaline rush of 9/11 retaliation worn off.

I guess it might be good for us as Americans to look at the world from others' points of views, something we as a country are really not very good at. Yes, a lot of Iraqis were very happy to be rid of Saddam Hussein. But how would you feel if someone came into the U.S., guns blazing, and then imposed a new form of government upon us, telling you that it was the best, and anything your society has done since the beginning of time (and that's a long time in that region) is inferior? That is pretty arrogant on our part. Democracy works for us - but there is no guarantee it is best for other cultures. And if it is, it takes time. Not the 3 years we're talking here...likely something more like decades. The problem is that if we keep going at the current rate, and face the possibility of a Vietnam-like withdrawal, the situation will certainly not turn for the better there. And all the lives lost and effort on both sides will be for nothing. Just try to see it from another set of eyes.

Ponty is right. London just got the Olympic bid yesterday, and an attack such as this one takes weeks and weeks, if not months of planning to conduct.

Some news channels said it was because of the G8 summit in Scotland

I will ask a simple question followed by a quick opinion.

1. How many people do you think know where Osama is?

If you think the answer to the question is many then what makes you think that most people in the middle east want freedom? The fact remains, to many in that area, he is an icon. Are there many people in that part of the world that want change? Sure there is but I am not so sure its our way of life.

I will ask a simple question followed by a quick opinion.

1. How many people do you think know where Osama is?

If you think the answer to the question is many then what makes you think that most people in the middle east want freedom? The fact remains, to many in that area, he is an icon. Are there many people in that part of the world that want change? Sure there is but I am not so sure its our way of life.

i dont' think that many people know where osama is.

but i think that probably many people on the middle east want paeace. but in a different way of what we think, you're right.

the following question will be: will they stop to try to consider any other people that havn't their way of living as infidels? Think about this: in europe and america you can profess whaterver religion you want. could you think it will be possible to do that in an islamic country?