Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

7joe1

Best reality based sports movie?

Which was the best reality based movie?  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought Miracle and Friday Night Lights were excellent. Gave the vote to Miracle because I'm hockey-biased.

I loved Youngblood, but I didn't know it was reality-based. Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

Am I the only one who thought Miracle was TERRIBLE? I mean, they didnt even get the medal ceremony correct ffs. That's like the "money shot" of the whole movie and they botched it.

Am I the only one who thought Miracle was TERRIBLE? I mean, they didnt even get the medal ceremony correct ffs. That's like the "money shot" of the whole movie and they botched it.

I've heard some say it was a bit too Disney, which doesn't make sense given it's fairly faithful to what I've read about the story.

I thought it was a wonderfully inspiring movie.

Cinderella Man. Great Movie. Also, I don't know if Million Dollar Baby is based on a true story but that was a powerul film.

And can anyone else back me up in my theory that Mighty Ducks 2 is loosely, very loosely based on the Miracle of 1980?

And Cool Runnings. They had me at "Jamaican bobsled team".

I've heard some say it was a bit too Disney, which doesn't make sense given it's fairly faithful to what I've read about the story.

I thought it was a wonderfully inspiring movie.

I disliked how they gave more attention to the Norway game than they did to the Gold Medal game itself...and A LOT more attention at that.

considering that this is a hockey website, wouldnt you think that everyone is going to pic miricle over basket ball and football movies

And can anyone else back me up in my theory that Mighty Ducks 2 is loosely, very loosely based on the Miracle of 1980?

I heard that from someone, but I don't think so.

I liked Miracle. It would get my vote out of the available choices.

I thought Friday Night Lights was going to be such a good movie with all the great reviews it got. But then, I watched it...........Varsity Blues was better, and I didn't even like Varsity Blues.

one of the best Brian's Song

the worst

wildcats

rocky5

the replacements

second team

days of thunder

driven

major league 2

i know some are a strech but the have a sports theme

Yeh i like hockey alot, but i think that hockey fans can have an equal appreciation for movies outside based within other sports.

Even though it was my poll, i still voted and i said friday night lights because i thought it was so much more real. I loved miracle, the story behind miracle and the way it was told; however, i did think like someone else mention, "It was a little too Disney". I think that they focused on the most important issue at hand, but there was too much censorship because of the specific parameters that disneys sets for its movie's content.

THey might be similar seeing how they were both huge upsets but besides that and how the americans win in 1980 and D2 i dont really see how they are similar

Miracle was just awesome. Very entertaining and non-Disney imo.

Radio and Remember the Titans are some of my favorites too.

THey might be similar seeing how they were both huge upsets but besides that and how the americans win in 1980 and D2 i dont really see how they are similar

I had a list of similarities to support my theory, but only a few come to mind.

A good part of both teams consist of players from Minn.

Niether situation involves Canada, but rather a terribly imposing, intimidating, dominant "cold european team". Iceland = Russia

They bring in Russ to replace an injured Banks, (Herbie brings in a another player to possibly replace Eruzione). This one's a stretch I know.

After a disappointing loss, Coach Bombay drills his players at the rink late into the night a la Herbie.

The initial meeting between the Ducks and the ringers, they dislike each other sort of mirrors the first real Team USA practice.

Adam Banks trying to play well for his ailing father. I forget who, but wasn't there someone in Miracle that felt he had to make the team or win for his father?

Charlie hurting himself, helps coach instead of play. So does O'Callahan.

Soviets humiliate the 1980 team in their first meeting solidifying the "obvious", but lose in the second game. Same happens to the Ducks vs Iceland.

Both the opposing teams show their respective underdogs a sign of respect in the end.

I know I'm reaching, but both seem so similar to me. Either way, I love the movie.

:P

Also, I know I compare D2 to Miracle and not the actual 1980 miracle but perhaps that sort of helps my case. Heh, also I know both were disney movies so maybe they took some liberties?

Oh god, and was there a scene in Miracle where Herb Brooks asks where each player is from the way Bombay does during the last game vs. Iceland???

A good part of both teams consist of players from Minn.

adam Banks trying to play well for his ailing father.  I forget who, but wasn't there someone in Miracle that felt he had to make the team or win for his father?

I think the first mighty ducks was set in minnesota and includes just local minor hockey and alot of the players in D2 were in D1

and in miracle wasnt the goalie's mother or father dead i could be wrong though sorry dont know the goalie's name not too familiar with miracle

Jim Craig's mother had died a couple of years before the Olympic Games.

I love reality-based movies. What sucks is when you find out the true story afterwards and how Hollywood altered it to make it into a movie.

I liked Coach Carter alot, I found it to seem more realistic than the others. Also wasnt Miracle made by Disney? I thought it could of been more realistic.

I love reality-based movies. What sucks is when you find out the true story afterwards and how Hollywood altered it to make it into a movie.

JR, unfortunately Hidalgo fits that shoe.

I turned to my wife while we were watching it and said, "Wow, if this story is close to being true, what a great movie!" Well, after finding websites dedicated solely to the veracity of the story, apparently the movie was not even remotedly close to true. Basically, the websites claim that Frank Hopkins was a world class tall-taler.

It's still a good movie. It's just so much more inspiring when you think it really happened.

It's not a movie but Playmakers which was on ESPN and is now repeating for the second time on showcase is the best, most realalistic sports show of any kind I've seen.

Does anyone think they'll make a movie about Lance Armstrong? His story is very inspiring.

Probably a miniseries on TV. You have the lifetime of training, diagnosis and recovery from cancer, fighting his way back to the top and then the 7 wins at the TdF. It's too much for a 2 hour movie to really cover it all without skipping big chunks of time.