Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrick74

help with sharpening my blades

so what sharpness should i have them at? i am a power forward type that crashes the net and goes to the corners, i have above average speed and am 6'0 200.

thanks!

People can give you their opinions, but when it comes down to it, you're best bet is to just try different sharpnesses until you find one that works for you. I know that I'm 6' 175" and I use 1", but I hear that I'm one of the lighter guys who uses 1".

your hollow might depend on the ice,if your ice is soft,say like in the summer you might not want a deep cut,good for turns,slow on the straight ahead speed,you need to find whats good for you.good luck.

What is your current hollow and what, if anything, would you like to change or improve?

The deeper the hollow, the more friction you have, therefore less potential for speed. If you have solid edges, deeper hoolows are only good for stopping or turning where more friction actually helps.

It also has alot to do with how hard the ice is that you are skating on. The best way to figure it out for yourself is to start at around 7/16" and go up 1/16" every time you get your skates sharpened. If you get chatter when you turn, your skates are too sharp (hallow too deep). if the slip when you turn they are to dull(hollow too shallow).

Are you guys sure about the 3/4 and 1" hollow? That seems pretty flat. Most places in New England do a standard 3/8" hollow. My kid uses a 5/8" hollow radius. He tried to go up to a 3/4" last summer when the ice was slushy, and did not like it. He is 201 lbs.

I'm probably around 11/16 right now, I found a setting that several of my friends like and I don't have to change my sharpener. It's all about experimenting and finding what works best for you. If a certain hollow feels comfortable, it's going to make you more confident and you will play better. You shouldn't even have to think about your edges while you're skating.

after this was discussed on the old board, you guys convinced me to go to a 1/2 and then to 3/4. i've been at 3/4 ever since and its fantastic. i think the best part is when i got to get my skates sharpened, they always have to ask me twice: "are you sure you want 3/4?!?" i'm 6'6 240.

That explains it, at 240 lbs you do not need much sharpness in the edge to dig in on the turns, but you do need minimum friction to get your speed. ALso, the stronger your ankles, the less sharpness needed in the edges.

Your edges aren't any less sharp with a larger hollow, that's a very common misconception. They just don't sink into the ice as deeply as a smaller hollow does.