Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troybruins89

Sweep Shot VS Wrist Shot

if we are thinking of the same sweep shot , then sweep shots dont use any weight transfer or wind up , you just shoot or sweep it foward , there used when close to the goal when u need to put it topshelf

The way I understand it:

The sweep shot is longer and is released without the top hand's pulling in.

The wrist shot has the top hand pulling in while the bottom hand pushes towards the target.

It sounds like you're just pushing the puck along the ice with your stick. May not look too cool on the highlight reel! :D

JJ

It sounds like you're just pushing the puck along the ice with your stick.  May not look too cool on the highlight reel!    :D

JJ

Or sounds more like a pass not a shot :P

I think the "sweep shot" is more of a pass like shot, on the ice and wrist shot is off the ice.

check http://hockeyschoolonline.com/

it has a comprehensive explaination of all kinds of shots, esp wrist and the sweep shot

"

A wrist shot for example executed technically correct utilizes a combination shaft speed and blade speed while a sweep shot (most common) utilizes a combination of shaft speed and shaft flex. A slap shot primarily utilizes shaft flex.

Most shots use a combination of shaft speed and flex, and/or blade speed and flex.

I WOULD LIKE AT THIS TIME TO STATE WHAT I FEEL IS OBVIOUS! A sweep shot (which is the most often shot taught) IS NOT and I will repeat this, IS NOT a wrist shot. The wrist action in a sweep shot is minimal at best. I have many discussions about this fact with many instructors. A player can feel immediately if his wrists are involved in the shot by the feeling in the elbow of the bottom hand. A player that predominantly utilizes a sweep shot has major difficulty in performing a one-hand wrist shot. I practice training the bottom hand wrist action which plays a key role in the wrist shot.

"

Qoute "..It sounds like you're just pushing the puck along the ice with your stick" End qoute

Yes, that's a rather accurate desription. Problem is a usual the language barrier. Over here, Swe., said shot is referred to as either "dragskott" or "svepskott" and we were forced to drill this shot until we mastered it, while slapshots was more or less banned in training. Anyway if I should try to decribe one shot, with me being a RW, the puck is placed behind my right foot at the heel of the blade. Centre of gravity is also more or less, placed over the right leg. Now you drag/sweep the puck forward in a v ery fast movement, while you transfer the weight enteriley over to the left leg/foot and depending on how you want to place the puck, high or low, you regulate that with follow trough process. Up high, max follow trough and blade tilted somewhat backwards/open. If you wnat a much lower shot like say 3 inches above ice, just tip the blade over, forwardly at the end of the follow trough, which is slightly shorter in this case, but only slightly. Hope this makes sense.

The main advantage of the "Sweep shot" is the pin-point accuracy and the speed of the shot The major disadvantage is of course they see it coming due to the big sweeping arch, but if that can be disguised if you shoot in a stride. IMHO, this shot is a "killer" like the backhand shot, if you learn them well

Just curious, but I get the impression that you North Americans don't drill this shot that much, if at all, right?

Cheers

Lilleman

A "sweep shot" sounds like a wrist shot with horrible, lazy technique.

exactly what I was thinking.

Well then it looks like Im not having any problems with my shot because im getting plenty of wrist action and weight transfer..I just was curious about the whole "sweep shot" thing.

Lille,

You're right, as what you describe doesn't get much attention here in North America as there is a lot more emphasis on wrist shots or slap shots. Snap shots and good backhanders are becoming a lost art.

There is a pretty good Sweedish guy who plays here in Vancouver with a nice wrister...you may have heard of him -- Markus Naslund. :D

Or perhaps his buddy, Peter, who has actually won the Stanley Cup, is the better example of a guy who uses the sweepshot?? It would be great to see a video of this shot in action, but I wouldn't know where to look.

Cheers,

JJ

Qoute "..It sounds like you're just pushing the puck along the ice with your stick" End qoute

Yes, that's a rather accurate desription. Problem is a usual the language barrier. Over here, Swe., said shot is referred to as either "dragskott" or "svepskott" and we were forced to drill this shot until we mastered it, while slapshots was more or less banned in training. Anyway if I should try to decribe one shot, with me being a RW, the puck is placed behind my right foot at the heel of the blade. Centre of gravity is also more or less, placed over the right leg. Now you drag/sweep the puck forward in a v ery fast movement, while you transfer the weight enteriley over to the left leg/foot and depending on how you want to place the puck, high or low, you regulate that with follow trough process. Up high, max follow trough and blade tilted somewhat backwards/open. If you wnat a much lower shot like say 3 inches above ice, just tip the blade over, forwardly at the end of the follow trough, which is slightly shorter in this case, but only slightly. Hope this makes sense.

The main advantage of the "Sweep shot" is the pin-point accuracy and the speed of the shot The major disadvantage is of course they see it coming due to the big sweeping arch, but if that can be disguised if you shoot in a stride. IMHO, this shot is a "killer" like the backhand shot, if you learn them well

Just curious, but I get the impression that you North Americans don't drill this shot that much, if at all, right?

Cheers

Lilleman

That's the type of wrist shot most little kids use because they lack the strength to really snap off a good hard snapshot. Once players get bigger and stronger, they usually abandon that type of shot as you don't often have that much time to take a shot.

if you look at the pros like nazzy and foppa, even their "sweep shot"'s have a crazy snaping motion rite when its released.

Bingo, as it takes some serious practice to master this shot.

Re JJ

Näslund who??? :P Sorry but I have no idea where to find video clips of this shot really.

Re Chadd

The "Sweep shot" can still be seen frequently during games here at all levels, and quote often in the Swedish Elite League as well.

Cheers

Lilleman

i was born to use the sweep shot, when i was liek 5 thats how i got the puck off the ice, with a crazy bring back wind up, then a crazy release with all your weight into it, not to mention a somewhat hook for a curve. i had a boomer.

nowaday a wrist shot is a real quick release, i do it 2 legs, 1 leg, whatever is proper, now that im somewhat stronger from when i was 5, i use snap shots a lot more, but still in my wirst shots i can feel the stick flex, where as back in the day, used the stick rather than my wrists